AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Common - Be Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Common - Be

Reviewed by: Fullcollapse3k (01/05/06)
Common - Be
Release Date: May 24, 2005
Record Label: Geffen Records

Throughout the 90’s, there were certain names that were synonymous with hip hop. While most casual fans won’t put Common in the spotlight with heavy-hitters such as 2Pac, The Notorious B.I.G. or Jay-Z, Common has challenged the standards of hip hop for nearly fifteen years now, while still somehow eluding the mainstream world. His time has finally come with the release of Be, an album that sees him return to the basics. The highly experimental Electric Circus made a splash, but with this release, Common has stapled himself as a positive image in the mainstream world.

Much of the initial hype behind Be was that it was to be co-produced by superstar Kanye West. West’s mark is found immediately on the title track “Be”, a song that delivers beautiful piano work and a thumping bass line, all complemented by a great string sample. While the beat is terrific, Common takes the song over with deeply personal lyrics that he delivers with incredible flow and precision. “Testify”, the latest single, easily highlights the recording. It contains a very subdued beat that simply gives Common a platform to tell a raw story that, at times, overflows with emotion. The chorus contains a terrific vocal sample, along with nice, simplistic piano work to add a bit of variation to the beat itself.

“It’s Your World” is one of only two tracks on the album produced by Dilla, long time producer of Common’s work. Common delivers a very nice lyrical performance, but it is the trademark Pop’s Rap that brings the song together and reveals the ultimate meaning behind Be. The song ends with a number of children simply stating what they want to be when they grow up. This sums up the recording flawlessly, as this album is about hope for the future. Be is about how fortunate we are to be alive, and how we should be grateful for the opportunities we’re given. Deeper than that, we should take what we’re given and try to make a positive impact on the world.

Common Sense has returned to hip hop, and this is his best work since 1994’s Resurrection. The production from Kanye West is stellar, and he further proved that he is one of the top producers in hip hop. True classics in this genre are few and far between these days, but Be truly has the potential to achieve that status in due time. An absolute must-hear, and one of the best releases of 2005.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
08:16 PM on 01/05/06
I am all talk
May 29, 2009
User Info.
rick's reviews give me boners
08:17 PM on 01/05/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Great review, buddy.
08:22 PM on 01/05/06
the associates
AP Addict
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
excellent cd and really nice review, i would say this was the best overall album of '05, thanks for taking the time to review it!
08:29 PM on 01/05/06
DroppedUrPocket
boom
User Info.
Great review. :thumbsup:
08:33 PM on 01/05/06
Caleb Cattivera
Cupid of Absolutepunk
User Info.
im so glad we have a hip hop reviewer now...

such a good idea. :)

great review man, keep this shit up...im about to do a review on rev run's new album.
08:36 PM on 01/05/06
TimeAsIdeology
Strongarmin Hos Since '86
User Info.
Tremendous album, better than Kanye and gets half the credit.
09:33 PM on 01/05/06
Nick Lopez
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good job.
09:34 PM on 01/05/06
Nick Lopez
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"Be" is by far my favorite song off of the album. It's..wow.
10:00 PM on 01/05/06
minusthejosh
Kill the big pig
User Info.
i've been thinking about getting this cd for a while, but still haven't decided on it yet. it's been a long time since i bought a rap cd. great review though, good to see some other genres here.
11:22 PM on 01/05/06
newfoundnorcal
giving it a little bit more
User Info.
Originally Posted by TimeAsIdeology
Tremendous album, better than Kanye and gets half the credit.

true story.

good review.
11:27 PM on 01/05/06
elonman05
AIM: Preludepunk27
User Info.
This album is fuckin awesome. One of the few rappers I actually consider a "music artist." the best rapper I've ever heard...period! He should be owning the rap music world but dumb suburban white teens are obsessed with songs about ba-donk-a-donks...it's sad!
11:59 PM on 01/05/06
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
Originally Posted by Caleb Cattivera
im so glad we have a hip hop reviewer now...

such a good idea. :)

great review man, keep this shit up...im about to do a review on rev run's new album.

i too, am glad theres hip hop coverage.

what happened to joel fennie?
01:46 AM on 01/06/06
Lost Glories
User Info.
Originally Posted by elonman05
This album is fuckin awesome. One of the few rappers I actually consider a "music artist." the best rapper I've ever heard...period! He should be owning the rap music world but dumb suburban white teens are obsessed with songs about ba-donk-a-donks...it's sad!

woah woah woah

common is a great rapper but saying hes the best is kind of to far.
there are better rappers with flow out there.
real hip hop
not bitches and hoes
02:18 AM on 01/06/06
the_narrator
the jukebox buzz
User Info.
"omfg, this up-and-coming rapper Common Sense, mothafuckas! We so G!" :wink:

Nice review Rick.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE