AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 36
09:31 PM on 01/06/06
xXrunninglateXx
User Info.
Personally, I can't speak for I Am the Movie because I couldn't stand it. I don't remember what it was about it but I just could NOT stand that record. I completely wrote this band off until I heard Better Open the Door off the new record. I was soo damn catchy that I just had to give this record a chance and I love this record from its opening seconds to its last! I believe having less snyth or moog or whatever was a big help because it let you hear the song, not just some annoying noise machine.
11:36 PM on 01/06/06
NoPenguinsInPA
we're all jack slaps here
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i really never got into I Am The Movie until I saw them live, that changed everything. i could appreciate that album for what it was- not a lyrical masterpiece, not anything that transcends time and space... just a fun, energetic breath of fresh air into the scene at a time it really needed it

as for Commit This To Memory, i see the biggest difference between it and its predecesor are that while IATM's lyrics were all about sticking it to The Man, etc., in a stream of consciousness style, CTTM is more focused and deeply personal, addressing Justin's struggles with relationships and life in general

i love the lyrics in CTTM, but musically motion city might never top IATM
12:03 AM on 01/07/06
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
..Commit This To Memory has been my favorite album since July of last year. I don't know why it hasn't gotten old yet, but it hasn't, and I'm glad.
12:48 AM on 01/07/06
wedin4showbread
Joeltheherald
User Info.
What the heck!! Commit this to memory is easily one of the best records of 2005 and probably my favorite. And im sorry to say that the record gets BETTER as it goes on it doesnt trail off towards the end. Hold me Down and Together We Will Ring in the New Year are the best two tracks on the cd! I am the Movie was awesome and songs like Back to the Beat and Throwdown are awesome too but Commit This TO Memory is perfection. The lyrics are pure beautiful sophisticated poetry and the music catches the feeling of the lyrics with amazing accuracy. No doubt one of the best of 05
11:34 AM on 01/07/06
CorporateFish
Viva la Weez
User Info.
Good review, I've been listening to these guys non-stop lately.
02:22 PM on 01/07/06
theredline
Brian Gallows
User Info.
Originally Posted by xXrunninglateXx
Personally, I can't speak for I Am the Movie because I couldn't stand it. I don't remember what it was about it but I just could NOT stand that record. I completely wrote this band off until I heard Better Open the Door off the new record. I was soo damn catchy that I just had to give this record a chance and I love this record from its opening seconds to its last! I believe having less snyth or moog or whatever was a big help because it let you hear the song, not just some annoying noise machine.

It was much the same for me too. I had a friend who orgasmed over the first record but it didn't do it for me. The new record blew me away and then I got into the first one. Now I think they are both great.
03:00 PM on 01/07/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I really like the new album, but it just didnt do the same thing for me as "I am the movie." I have to skip over some songs on the new album, like LGFUAD. Still, all the best, it was a good album, just not great. They will be huge though.
05:37 PM on 01/09/06
lampshade
User Info.
The singles were good, and the album wasn't to shabby. It's nothing to die for and the album has it's flaws but I enjoyed it. I just find it odd they wrote two songs about new years.
02:02 AM on 01/14/06
Rogue Slayer
too weak to be your cure.
User Info.
great album. catchier than i am the movie but not quite as good. took me a long time to get into them at all, first i listened to them for like week, and i thought they were ok, then i listened to them 6 months later... WHOAH! hehe
04:47 PM on 02/01/06
xpunkchick13x
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this album was prob one of the best in 2005, but not nearly as good as "i am the movie" i dont know what it was about the songs, they were just lacking in motion citys usual upbeat moog style
i liked commit this to memory, but i am the movie was way better
12:05 AM on 02/20/06
jfriday4
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think you guys write comments so I can reply and say

NEIGH!

do you not know music?
are you on CRACK?

Let me begin by saying what all long time MCS fans know: they did NOT get to where they are know by the music on commit this to memory. They built a backing with their high energy shows, fast exciting riffs, emotional and sometimes off key singing, and the talented abilities they had to write their own music, regardless of sales.

I am the movie may not be the most pleasing to some, but commit this to memory is definite digression into Pop-filth(for lack of a better term) influence too much by $$$. whose fault that is, I have no idea, Mark Hoppus, the label, a want for bigger shows and bigger $$$ beats me... Commit this to memory seems as if it was produced to gain popularity in the pop world and sales, not to capture anything new in the band.

I am the Movie is a damn good album for what it is, and what it is is a man with crazy ass hair hitting his guitar to the screams of a synthesizer.

then again its all some pretty pop easy listening low talent big $$$ shit. hahaha. peace!
03:39 PM on 02/24/06
Shatter590
Shinigami Is Watching You
User Info.
my favorite album of 2005, hands down
08:26 AM on 03/01/06
Say Hello 87
User Info.
I think both albums are amazing, but Commit This To Memory is definately something I see as a heck of a lot more thought out and much better written then I AM THE MOVIE. But great records but I think CTTM is just a lot better written. But hey, they don't call it an opinion for nothing right?!?!?
07:35 PM on 03/20/06
domesticyeti
Captain Democracy
User Info.
this is an excellent album, but i think that MCS will probably never be able to touch I Am The Movie. Thats a CD that never gets old.
Commit this to memory has some really great songs on it, but a few seem like their almost fillers that kill the momentum at times.
05:19 PM on 04/10/07
cityofmotion181
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
what are you talking about??? this is WAY better than i am the movie. the band has progressed from their problems with drugs and made WAY better music. all the songs are catchy and they all mean something. my fav band. :-D

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos