Username
Password

12:19 AM on 01/08/06 
User Info.
Tony Pascarella
User
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Male - 25 Years Old
I'm not cool enough to have a guest recommending stuff for you guys, but here's what I've got.

Like Gabe, I'm digging the hell out of Action Reaction's self-titled EP. Jason Gleason is one hell of a songwriter, and it shows on these 7 songs. I highly recommend "Contagious" and "Sinner's Algebra."

I'm highly recommending an album that came out back in 1979, but still rocks my face off. That would be Devo's Duty Now For the Future. It's a great album with such highlights as "Wiggly World," "Blockhead," and Devo's rendition of "Secret Agent Man." For those not in the know, Devo featured Mark Mothersbaugh, who would later go on to write the music for Nickelodeon's Rugrats.

I have developed a newfound appreciation for both albums from Detroit techno-punkers Electric Six. Both their '03 release Fire and '05 release Senor Smoke have some great tracks on them. I prefer the older one a bit more, however. I suggest you check out "Dance Commander," "Improper Dancing," "Gay Bar," "Jimmy Carter," and "Dance Epidemic" for your required daily Electric Six.

The Minus Scale is an unsigned act that really caught my eye with their power pop-meets-aggro rock approach. Their 4-song EP For Lack of Lights is available on their myspace page. I recommend "Say What You Mean" and "Automatic Girls" highly, although all four songs are excellent.

In a slightly different slant, I'm going to ask you readers to contribute. If you think I should be listening to something (either as a rec or for a review), drop me an e-mail with the pertinent info and at least one outlet to sample the music (Myspace preferred). Please include your AP username in the e-mail somewhere so that I can give you credit if I use it.

On a similar note, if you would like to guest one week with recommendations and are either a forum member or band member, please e-mail me.
03:53 AM on 01/08/06 
User Info.
Talib Scottie
Isn't it a pity?
Raleigh, NC
Male - 30 Years Old
I think you dig Electric six more than any straight man should... haha.
06:35 AM on 01/08/06 
User Info.
[Brendan]
Jesus is my ride home.
Bolton, England
Male - 28 Years Old
Fire in the disco! fire in the taco bell.
08:20 AM on 01/08/06 
User Info.
poppa Q
LBTBG
So Ill
Male
Originally Posted by [Brendan]
Fire in the disco! fire in the taco bell.

Fire in the disco! Fire in the gates of hell!

Great rec, I didn't know anyone liked the E6 hahah.
11:04 AM on 01/08/06 
User Info.
watashi-revenge
Hello, Control
No Avatar Selected
San Jose, CA
Male - 32 Years Old
Mothersbaugh also composes the music for Wes Anderson movies, killer stuff.
03:23 PM on 01/08/06 
User Info.
Tony Pascarella
User
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Male - 25 Years Old
Originally Posted by Talib Scottie
I think you dig Electric six more than any straight man should... haha.

Haha. I'm going to see them in February.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos