AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Coconut Records - Davy Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9.13
Production 9.13
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9.38
Average: 86%

Coconut Records - Davy

Reviewed by: Klatzke (05/19/09)
Coconut Records - Davy
Release Date: January 20, 2009
Record Label: Young Baby Records

Jason Schwartzman is quite possibly one of the most amibitious figures to hit the pop-culture scene in quite awhile. The original drummer for Phantom Planet (who's "California" you've heard if you know any teenage girl), he left to pursue an acting career (you may just see him in a little film called The Darjeeling Limited), went further, starting his own record label (Young Baby Records) and used that label to release the album Nighttiming under his alias of Coconut Records. He's also contributed music to films, and actually helped write The Darjeeling Limited. Of course, in between all of these endevours, he found the way to create his sophomore album, Davy, once again to be released under his own label.

Anyone that is familiar with his debut should feel right at home with Davy. It doesn't have the same vibe as Nighttiming but seems like a perfectly suitable followup for that album. Once again, Schwartzman handles all of the vocal duties, as well as a variety of the instruments (though he does seek some help from the one and only Zooey Deschanel). Davy is chock full of the same quality songs that made up the debut, and though you may notice a slight change in sound, it's undeniably a solid album. Througout it's 28 minute runtime, there are quite a few notable songs, such as the tongue in cheek "Drummer" where Schwartzman states: "And I was a drummer/ in a band/ that you've heard of/ isn't that the way it goes?" "Courtyard" and "The Summer" are also two extremely good tracks, though they differ quite a bit in execution with "Courtyard" being a slower and somber track, while "The Summer" has a pop flair that fits it's title perfectly. He's stuck with the same indie-pop vibe that worked so well on his debut, and really, there's no reason for him to have changed it.

Davy is the logical successor to Nighttimming and while it doesn't have a powerhouse track like the debut's title track, it's certainly a must have for any fans of this genre. His vocals, songwriting, witty lyricisms, and arrangements are all still top notch. Schwartzman has proven himself adept at many things, and Coconut Records is no exception to that principle.

Recommended If You LikeCastledoor; She and Him

Myspacehttp://www.myspace.com/coconutrecords

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
11:34 PM on 06/01/09
DI Pistola
tune in Tokyo
User Info.
Wonder if there's anything with the catchy, staying power of "West Coast" on this record.
11:54 PM on 06/01/09
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
Wonder if there's anything with the catchy, staying power of "West Coast" on this record.

Besides "microphone" nope. Still has decent tracks on this record but I prefer nighttiming more...
01:34 PM on 06/02/09
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
Word.This album also lacks all the dope guest vocals that Nighttiming had.

Yeah! He has zoeey danschel, kirsten dunst, and more! I heard microphone and was like YEAH!!! Haha I love that song! I remember pre ordering the digital version and listening to it and being extreamly underwhelmed. It was a complete bummer! Iv grown to like a few tracks like I said before though...
12:42 PM on 09/30/09
sargentlgfuad
Glass boy
User Info.
i've grown to adore this album more and more.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests