AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Your Musical Evolution -- Your Thoughts

Posted by - 10:19 PM on 05/20/09
Every year, some of your favorite bands release new albums, you find out about great up and coming bands, you find out about great bands that you missed the boat on, and you find that some band you once loved has lost its luster. Over the past year, how have your musical tastes evolved?

Has the return of Blink 182 ushered in a new found resurgence of pop-punk love for you? Maybe it gave you a realization that you feel too old for their music these days. How you've changed over the past year is going to inevitably be different than any other person. Maybe Eminem's new album reminded you how much you've missed rap. Perhaps The Gaslight Anthem have inspired you to check out Bruce Springsteen and that pushed you into a whole new world of music you'd never before experienced.

Whatever your story, we want to hear it. What are the newest bands to rock your playlists? What bands are you shying away from more than ever?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 210
10:22 PM on 05/20/09
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
User Info.
My tastes have changed a lot of over the years and I can't get back into Blink 182. Sorry AP, but Radiohead are the real great band of this generation.
10:28 PM on 05/20/09
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I still listen to the stuff I did when I was in Jr High and High School, rarely do I not enjoy what I used to, but rather I continually enjoy more and more music, just because I find new music doesn't mean I have to put my old tastes on the backburner
10:28 PM on 05/20/09
RAMROD85
Life is what you make it.
User Info.
hmmm... well this year has definitely made me feel too old for All Time Low. I think I owe that feeling to this site, and to the fans that have been going to the shows lately.

I'm really into Counting Crows again. Their best of album is awesome. It's summer time and finals are over, so I spend a lot of time outside late at night now. And mellow acoustics tend to rock my ipod more than my usual choice of pop-punk.

also, Will Smith is my homeboy when I'm drunk... so I spend the summer with his greatest hits album.
10:30 PM on 05/20/09
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
2009 = pop punk resurgance
10:31 PM on 05/20/09
doritoz
NICER DICER
User Info.
Mr T + Flavor Wave = Nicer Dicer
10:32 PM on 05/20/09
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
i get into weird moods, lately over the past year i have shifted from periods of thursday, fys tbs and getting a lot more into metal and heavy music with bands like the acacia strain, august burns red, all that remains ect....i just love the raw aggression and intensity of heavy music nowadays. I feel like im getting too old for poppy punk and stuff now that im gonna be 23 soon. i really missed the boat on Between the Buried and Me. watching Paul Waggoner has inspired me to become a better guitar player and to listen to more jazzy and blues music. he incorporates a lot of jazz based scales and progressions in his some of his. riffs that sound sick.
10:35 PM on 05/20/09
icynova
Love is easier made than kept!
User Info.
The years before last, I was really starting to shy away from hardcore and harder music in general. I think I was just getting lazy and putting on whatever was on the radio... But I discovered a friend at work that loves going to small venue shows as much as I do, and we"ve been seeing a lot of new stuff over the past year, even traveling 12 hours (all in one day) to see the Taste of Chaos tour in Denver. This has totally renewed my interest in Harder, faster music (because, well, the live shows are awesome. Duh.) and has given me quite a few new entries to spin regularly in my car on the way to work, and on my ipod, including (I know, lots of bands people here love to hate, but what the hell, they put on awesome live shows:) Bring Me the Horizon, Thursday, Pierce The Veil, Four Year Strong, A Day To Remember, The Devil Wears Prada, As I Lay Dying, My Children My Bride, Alesana, August Burns Red, A Whilhelm Scream, Streetlight Manifesto, The Chariot ( I know, how didn't I know about them, being a Norma Jean fan? I have no idea.) and many others. This has honestly been an awesome year.
10:35 PM on 05/20/09
djsclaus
www.brandonmarshall.net
User Info.
My musical tastes have changed so much this year. My favorite bands went from stuff like Forever The Sickest Kids, Boys Like Girls, The Maine, NeverShoutNever. I actually considered these to be some of my favorite bands. What a failure I was.

Then, I discovered just how amazing indie music is. Lydia brought me over last year, and since then, all I have been listening to has been indie music. I was a late bloomer, I discovered The Format this year because of Fun. Now I have to say, The Format is one of my favorite bands.

Stuff like Audrye Sessions, Manchester Orchestra, Metric, Silversun Pickups, those have all been in my car stereo lately. Obviously, I've been listening to a little pop punk here and there (Blink, NFG) but they definitely don't fall in the same category as bands like FTSK.

I'm really excited to see where my musical tastes take me. I am really, really loving music lately
10:36 PM on 05/20/09
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
this year hasn't been much different for me although I'll admit that almost 6 months in, I've probably enjoyed no more than 5 new releases. 2009 got me into Fireworks and they are now one of my favorite bands. Beyond that, I must sadly admit that I like less and less music each year. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I don't spend nearly as much time online anymore digging deeper and deeper for new bands. I have 40 gigs of music in my iTunes library and it's hard to keep downloading more while still keeping up with old stuff. I haven't lost interest in any genres in the past year, I mainly just spin the classics.
10:37 PM on 05/20/09
anamericangod
User Info.
It seems like it is getting harder for me to connect with music as easily as I once used to. There's less and less coming out that really hits me. There is some good music, but compared to how music used to impact me, it happens less and less. Kinda makes me sad, but I guess that is what happens when you grow up.
10:37 PM on 05/20/09
lifeintherye
User Info.
I was a pop punk kid forever and still am but I have gotten into a lot harder and darker stuff in the last couple years. Not all pop-punk has it anymore....that feeling isn't quite there, its still in the old cds but i guess all the bands doing that just doesn't have that certain something.
Blink will always take me back though, there is not a time where I don't pop them or Fenix Tx in and it doesn't put a smile on my face - friends too. and SYG will never die on me.
I think I've grown into more hardcore and melodic hardcore stuff as of late because its crazy and all the shit I've been through I think the music calms me (weird?..maybe) but not only that - there's so much more to what those bands put into their lyrics.
10:39 PM on 05/20/09
zeusisgod
User Info.
I missed the boat on rap in High School. I was listening to Blink, NFG, Sum 41, Rufio, that type of stuff. But all of a sudden my friends started to get me into old Eminem, 50 Cent, Obie Trice, and stuff of the like.
It's like it's new music to me... Quite exciting really, now that i somewhat appreciate it, unlike back then when I would just turn my head and tell them it was terrible without listening to it.
10:40 PM on 05/20/09
firestarter425
We'll have you dead pretty soon
User Info.
I've grown to old for the scene. I went to bamboozle this year and felt so out of place. I still listen to most of the stuff that I did in high school, but I find the new stuff like All Time Low and Forever the Sickest Kids music to sound the same.
10:40 PM on 05/20/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I feel like because of my surroundings I have taken in a lot of music in my young life and as I age I just add more and more pieces into my eclectic appreciation for music.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos