AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Brighten - Ready When You Are EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 10.25
Creativity 10.3
Lasting Value 11.3
Reviewer Tilt 11.5
Average: 108%
Inside AP.net

Brighten - Ready When You Are EP

Reviewed by: Rohan Kohli (01/10/06)
BrightenReady When You Are EP
Release Date: November 9, 2005
Record Label: Independent

Tracklisting:
1. Television
2. Ready When You Are Download
3. Place Less Traveled
4. Just Breathe
5. Friends For Lovers

To say I was stoked when I received Brighten’s Ready When You Are EP in the mail would be an understatement of great magnitude. To say the EP lived up to its high expectations would be an understatement of even greater magnitude. Ready When You Are, Brighten’s debut EP, is warm, fuzzy-feelin’ indie rock/pop at its finest—it seriously doesn’t get any better than this, folks.

Drawing heavily from Jimmy Eat World and taking cues from bands such as Copeland and twothirtyeight, Brighten has crafted a remarkably mature, moving, finely layered, melodically stunning EP, accenting already beautiful songs with slightly delayed/reverbed lead guitars, the occasional acoustic guitar layer, group vocals, and subtle keyboards, among other things. Able to create both darker, slower songs such as “Television” and “Just Breathe,” as well as more up-tempo, poppier songs, namely “Ready When You Are” and “Friends For Lovers”, Brighten has done well to create an EP that, though short, shifts moods enough to keep the listener interested.

The stand-out track, “Ready When You Are,” begins with a mellow keyboard gently outlining the basic melody of the song before launching into a beautifully layered verse; the Copeland-esque chorus then soars with its huge hook, and is pretty much a musical orgasm. The follow-up track, “Place Less Traveled,” doesn’t let down either with its spacey, intertwining leads, its deep, syncopated bass, and most notably, its gorgeous, somewhat hushed vocal melody. The warm, full, pristine production helps all the band’s elements shine.

I really don’t have any complaints with this EP—except that I want more. Trust me, if you’re a fan of Jimmy Eat World, Copeland, Mae, etc., this is an EP you not only want, but need. Mellow, melodic, and passionate, Brighten’s Ready When You Are is quite simply outstanding. It may not be for everyone, particularly those who require demanding music, but this is the music I love; I hope you find as much joy in this EP as I have.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
02:34 PM on 01/10/06
Chriz2z
User Info.
Nice review, so true bout needing more...
03:49 PM on 01/10/06
WSUskee
Seattle Scenester
User Info.
yeah good review, I was planning on getting this and now I will jump right over to smartpunk and order it. Keep up reviewing good poppy stuff I like it.
03:31 PM on 07/15/06
musicears
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is an amazing band.
I pop in the ep, listen to it.
And I repeat the second part. :)
02:33 AM on 01/02/08
christakis
bemis wants his money
User Info.
hm, i never heard any of this. i have "king vs queen" and i like the album. i think i'll take a listen to this.
07:52 PM on 01/22/08
bowwowwoff
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is amazing.

your in holiday parade and you reviewed brighten :]

i love you both.
08:53 PM on 02/06/10
BehcetWilliam
User Info.
good
06:41 AM on 03/23/10
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
User Info.
forget to rate it #'s wise?
10:23 PM on 08/07/10
Katrin2max
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What the girl above me said. WTF is up with the 3%. I'd give it 85%! This is a great EP and I can't wait to hear Be Human!!
09:43 PM on 12/18/11
kpgaines
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Can't find this EP anywhere, anyone able to point me in the right direction where I can listen to and buy/download this EP?

Thanks
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News