Password

Album Review

Transit - Stay Home Album Cover

Transit - Stay Home

Reviewed by
TransitStay Home
Record Label: Run For Cover Records
Release Date: Out Now
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Not often does a band quell fears of mediocrity within seconds of an album’s beginning, but Transit do just that on Stay Home’s self-titled opener. Frenetic drum spanking and the lines, “So many days and nights of my life escape / It always fades away with time” create an instant spark. Talk about target marketing; there is perhaps no better way to describe the numbingly slow days of summer or spring break or whatever. Good things are sure to follow when a band can so succinctly lay their cards on the table.

“Stay Home” doesn’t give me chills as much as it gives me butterflies. Following up its gruff gang vocals is no easy task. But then comes the consecutive (but similar!) nut-kicks of “Nameless (Song To Static)” and “Stays The Same.” Transit's vocalists clearly think singing is for pu**ies, or maybe they believe the proper way to unleash the lines, “You’re an anchor / And a mistake / Will I have what it takes,” is through throaty, this-is-my-boomstick rasps. Regardless of motives, don’t feel ashamed if you wind up focusing on lead singer Jon Boynton's formidable presence. Still, the only reason he succeeds is due to the unexpectedly technical guitars of Tim Landers and Joe Lacy. Using “Atlas” as the example, it’s easy to view Boynton as the hulking mass of stone that Landers and Lacy meticulously chisel into classical (what!?) melodic punk.

It might be cliché to love “Outbound”, Stay Home’s intricate acoustic-to-electric climax number. I believe music finds us though, and this most definitely dug me out of a deep slumber. “As the world flies by outside of my window / I’ll be honest / I wouldn’t miss a thing / About these cold-hearted towns and distances in between,” sings Boynton, and by G*d if I didn’t stand up in the library, flip everyone the bird, and promptly set the place on fire. And for the sake of full disclosure, I fully admit to being entrenched in a limbo situation, as is the custom of us 20-whatevers. But even if you aren’t waking up each night with cold sweats, even if you’re happily married (or happily living for free in a basement somewhere, no judgments!), Transit have put motivation to music. If the time ever comes that you get sick and tired of, well, anything, there’s Stay Home. Shelve it if necessary, but please don’t bury Stay Home.

Recommended If You Like: newer Crime In Stereo, Lifetime, burger salesmen, Polar Bear Club, taco salesmen

I've got promises to keepwww.myspace.com/transitma

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 43
10:56 PM on 05/27/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
blah blah blee blah, I love this record.
11:03 PM on 05/27/09
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
Great bunch of dudes, solid record. Nice review Blake.
12:12 AM on 05/28/09
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
definitely in my top 5 active bands.

every song is perfect or damn near
06:47 AM on 05/28/09
ddb43
User Info.
Shite rocks!
09:53 AM on 05/28/09
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Great band, incredible EP.

I'm pretty sure Joe isn't singing those "anchor" lines at all, though. They're being traded off between Tim and I think P.J.
09:54 AM on 05/28/09
robdobi
hates your guts.
User Info.
band rules.
09:59 AM on 05/28/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Great band, incredible EP.

I'm pretty sure Joe isn't singing those "anchor" lines at all, though. They're being traded off between Tim and I think P.J.
I'M AN ASSHOLE / AND A MISTAKE

i'll change it, good looking out.
10:28 AM on 05/28/09
phoenixinflames
User Info.
I've never seen these dudes, but they play shows near me all the time. LOVING the stuff on their myspace, gonna have to check them out soon.
10:29 AM on 05/28/09
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
great review, great record. i love this band.
10:56 AM on 05/28/09
March_Faster!!
まくどなるどなしじゃいきられない。
User Info.
Blake, I could not agree more. Transit are a great band and this EP is solid.
11:15 AM on 05/28/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I dig the album art, I'm only halfway digging teh muzik.
11:58 AM on 05/28/09
iwasahero
molsh
User Info.
Awesome review, awesome band.
01:28 PM on 05/28/09
smorgy
There's no shame in crymaxing
User Info.
great band,great guys, and their shows are pretty fun
01:34 PM on 05/28/09
ninthandash
ninthandash.com
User Info.
love these guys, they're unbelievably young though!
like, wow, when I looked at their pics,its almost unreal.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos