AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Cavil at Rest - Apples to Oranges Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Cavil at Rest - Apples to Oranges

Reviewed by: Garett Press (01/17/06)
Cavil at Rest – Apples to Oranges EP
{SCORE: 7.6/10}

1. Who's There
2. All is Well and Good
3. We Could Love
4. House on Stilts

Click Here to Stream the Entire EP

Ladies and Gentleman,

There is young, fresh, inspiring talent out there, and if you could hear me say this aloud you’d probably wonder why I speak with such fortified certitude. Well I’ll answer your question before you pose it… Cavil at Rest.

I guess there was never any question of whether or not there existed up and coming talent to rely on in the coming years, for there will always be a fresh new face for webzines to raise like a trophy and blogs to wave like a flag. Yet, I always seem to let out an involuntary sigh of relief when a young artist forms a blip on the radar with their passion and creativity. Suffice it to say when I first heard Cavil at Rest’s self titled EP, my radar was going bonkers.

Since then, I tend to develop shivers and break out in hives if I don’t listen to “1948” every couple of weeks. Yes, the self titled EP was addicting technical pop rock, and as I continued to enjoy those songs, they only fueled my fire that crackled and popped with anticipation for the EP that is now known as Apples to Oranges.

On this second sampling of Mission Viejo originated pop rock, Cavil flex a whole new set of muscles, while still keeping in general good shape. Don’t be put off that the boys haven’t made part two of the self titled EP; this time around, they’ve traded the allure of instant accessibility for the textures of a more focused and durable material. The purpose however, remains viciously intact… as the band bio so correctly states, this is “music to tap your mind while you tap your feet.” Mind and foot will thusly smile upon Apples to Oranges as “Who’s There” infects you with movement inspired by handclaps and intended gasps and “We Could Love” breathes a cool manipulating air of precise songwriting and ambient delicateness into your bones. This is a unique blend of indie and pop, something like the lovechild of Minus the Bear and Spitalfield. And while at times, I yearn for an injection of punch or “oomph”, this is rhythm that is conscious of its surroundings, an impressive balance of groove and grace, so cavil, I will not (pun intended).

While the difference in style from one EP to the other might not exactly be apples to oranges, each is certainly distinct in flavor. I highly recommend sinking your teeth into both the apple and the orange, because the juices are both sweet and full of promise. But before I get lost in disturbing metaphor, let me say that Cavil at Rest are no longer a blip on the radar but an imminent threat. It is proven now that they have the ability to be varied, technical, catchy, rhythmic, groovy, and eclectic… which is currently an excellent formula for success.

blip....blip....blip......blip......blip.......INCOMING!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
05:18 PM on 01/17/06
Gabe Gross
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
are you serious? you nerd
05:21 PM on 01/17/06
Garett Press
User Info.
Originally Posted by Gabe Gross
are you serious? you nerd
and freakin proudddd of it
05:22 PM on 01/17/06
jynxedheart
is more scene than jesus
User Info.
oh gar....
05:24 PM on 01/17/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
That's great, Garett. :)
05:33 PM on 01/17/06
Garett Press
User Info.
Originally Posted by Tony Pascarella
That's great, Garett. :)
Hahaha thanks, though I know inside you're thinking I'm a hugeee loser... but i'm cool with that :pokeball: :linktrifo :megaman1:
05:53 PM on 01/17/06
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
excellent review.
09:51 PM on 01/17/06
minusthejosh
Kill the big pig
User Info.
excellent nerdiness garrett, and good review too, just like usual.
04:06 AM on 01/18/06
Snails
see the benefits.
User Info.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha
nice review though
04:38 AM on 01/18/06
monkeyboy14
Good Day Sunshine
User Info.
Yet another good review Garrett. There is nothing wrong with being a nerd either. Nerds rule! I really like the sound of this EP. I will have to get me a copy when it comes out. What is the release date by the way?
05:51 AM on 01/20/06
updownleftright
grant.
User Info.
great band. that paragraph made me chuckle too.

ahhh ah ah ahh ahh ah ah

THEY ARE LOOKING FOR A DRUMMER! yeah i live in georgia..
05:32 PM on 01/20/06
Garett Press
User Info.
Originally Posted by monkeyboy14
Yet another good review Garrett. There is nothing wrong with being a nerd either. Nerds rule! I really like the sound of this EP. I will have to get me a copy when it comes out. What is the release date by the way?
Thanks mayn! There was no "official" release date. You can order the EP now though!
02:14 PM on 01/23/06
bikescene
No, you're a turd sandwich.
User Info.
supoibly written review! :)
09:59 PM on 01/24/06
Cip2k1
~Cip~
User Info.
You're the man
10:12 PM on 01/24/06
Garett Press