AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Default News Icon News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 30.
09:26 AM on 06/01/09
IWasHerHorse
User Info.
I don't really see why anyone dislikes this band, but whatever, I'm excited to see them tomorrow.
10:11 AM on 06/01/09
losnoufy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't really see why anyone dislikes this band, but whatever, I'm excited to see them tomorrow.
i can definitely see why someone would dislike them...if you don't like this kind of music, you won't like grizzly bear...they're a very hit-or-miss band, and they're inevitably going to be polarizing. they're one of my favorite bands, for example, and both of their latest albums took a few spins to really sink into me.

also, if someone were to hear them for the first time and say something like, "they're a bunch of elitist, pretentious, indie hipsters who think they can play 4 or 5 random dissonant chords and call the song artsy," i wouldn't have much to say in response except to listen about 20 more times and try to enjoy them. they appeal to people with very certain tastes. once again, i love them and i am extremely excited to see them on wednesday, but grizzly bear is certainly not for everyone.
11:15 AM on 06/01/09
Greg.Kushlan
Ghostbusting makes me feel good
User Info.
The new york times is made up of a bunch of assholes who are never entertained by anything except for pretentious bullshit.
11:38 AM on 06/01/09
AlsoRan
space case/space cake
User Info.
^agreed in regards to that article at least. as has been said, the reviewer contradicts himself and is terrible in describing the music and the feeling evoked. " Mr. Rossen’s guitar harmonies are so rich, and his echoing strums so carefully applied, that those songs took on an oppressively ascetic fragility." Fragility? Did he really describe music as fragile, and negatively so? I dont really think its a good review at all. Told me nothing really, except that the performers dont move much on stage.
12:59 PM on 06/01/09
IWasHerHorse
User Info.
i can definitely see why someone would dislike them...if you don't like this kind of music, you won't like grizzly bear...they're a very hit-or-miss band, and they're inevitably going to be polarizing. they're one of my favorite bands, for example, and both of their latest albums took a few spins to really sink into me.

also, if someone were to hear them for the first time and say something like, "they're a bunch of elitist, pretentious, indie hipsters who think they can play 4 or 5 random dissonant chords and call the song artsy," i wouldn't have much to say in response except to listen about 20 more times and try to enjoy them. they appeal to people with very certain tastes. once again, i love them and i am extremely excited to see them on wednesday, but grizzly bear is certainly not for everyone.
It definitely took a couple listens for me to get into Yellow House, and I don't know if maybe I was already used to their sound by the time Veckatimest came out, but I found it very easy to get into. Veckatimest is much more accessible and poppy, it seems like a hard record to dislike, but I've been thinking lately my idea of "pop" music isn't actually anywhere near what a lot of people would call pop.
02:01 PM on 06/01/09
JonyeWest
User Info.
I saw them on Friday night, the second Town Hall show. I thought it was amazing. They put on an extremely tight and warm show. They were very nice guys too! For an encore they played "All We Ask" with just an acoustic guitar and a bass drum with four part harmonies to ONE mic. That takes talent. So Whether you like them or not, credit is due.
02:48 PM on 06/01/09
losnoufy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i agree, Veckatimest is much muchhh more accessible. especially "Two Weeks", obviously. but yeah, i wouldn't expect to hear them on the radio anytime soon or anything.
02:54 PM on 06/01/09
doppelganger
katy song
User Info.
the new cd is pretty good.
03:01 PM on 06/01/09
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
The new york times is made up of a bunch of assholes who are never entertained by anything except for pretentious bullshit.
yeah, like Green Day
kekeke
(they liked Breakdown)

(cue Homer Simpson: "It's funny because it's true")

at least I find GD's new album pretentious. still love them though.
04:06 PM on 06/01/09
hubbabubbal3ts
True Punk Fan
User Info.
i don't buy it. i'm still aching to see this band.
04:30 PM on 06/01/09
IWasHerHorse
User Info.
i agree, Veckatimest is much muchhh more accessible. especially "Two Weeks", obviously. but yeah, i wouldn't expect to hear them on the radio anytime soon or anything.
I've heard them on the radio before around my area, but it public radio from UPenn and they usually play new, sort of unusual, music.
05:57 PM on 06/01/09
poppa Q
LBTBG
User Info.
This is the first time I've heard anything about this band. These things tend to sneak up on me.
Ah.
08:34 PM on 06/01/09
applescruff
stupidity tries
User Info.
I find Grizzly Bear to be an extraordinary artist, and I have yet to experience their live show. This review was difficult to follow for me for some reason. It was contradictory at most parts, and I felt the reviewer wasn't familiar with Grizzly Bear's music. People who like the type of music Grizzly Bear makes wouldn't find the show to be "boring" at all, for the aura surrounding the songs is peaceful. Did the reviewer expect the members to be bouncing around on the stage like pop-rockers? I think yes.
I don't think this review effected people's thinking, because Grizzly Bear is selling out shows like hotcakes. Doesn't come as a surprise to those who adore their tunes, like myself.
10:12 PM on 06/01/09
ezco25
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
fuck the new york times - they are morons
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives