AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Talib Kweli - Right About Now Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 8
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Average: 83%
Inside AP.net

Talib Kweli - Right About Now

Reviewed by: Gabe Gross (01/18/06)
Talib KweliRight About Now
Release Date: November 22, 2005
Record Label: Koch Records/Blacksmith Music

Certain genres of music rely on a particular amount of street cred—with Talib Kweli’s credentials already being covered by cult albums Quality and The Beautiful Struggle, there are no hesitations in offering an album showcasing a conscious effort that walks the line of street heat and night club beats. And being a “student of truth” isn’t an easy burden to carry. Good thing Talib Kweli comes armed with a truth militia on his latest mixed tape Right About Now. Emcees and rappers like MF Doom, Mos Def, Papoose, Phil Da Agony and Planet Asia dive into a heavy-hitting album that portrays Kweli’s strong and confident rhyme-spitting abilities.

Among the 12 tracks, the most stand-out piece is an arrangement dedicated to Lauryn Hill entitled “Ms. Hill”. The ballad tells of Kweli and Ms. Hill’s extinguished friendship and pays homage to her allegiance in the hip hop community, saying “They won’t let you read your poem at the BET Awards / you give us hope you give us faith, you the one / They don’t like what you have to say but yet they beg you to come”. If this beat sounds at all familiar, you’ve probably heard it before. Kweli samples a Ben Kweller track (strangely enough) as he raps the indecencies of the silenced black voice.

Other strong tracks include nocturnal hip hop songs like “Fly The Knot”—a high-energy, horn-tooting piece with MF Doom spitting his classic articulations—and “Rock On”—a weighty rap that drops in and out of tempo changing modes. More cooled-down, serious tracks “Flash Gordon”—Kweli raps relentlessly as his voice seems to ricochet and bounce creating several levels—and “Roll Off Me”, an everything-will-be-okay-we-all-go-through-hard-times advice track.

While some will be expecting The Beautiful Struggle Part Deux, I’m afraid the Supa Dave West produced album is a step down from Talib Kweli’s more original albums that knocked you off your feet. Fans of Kweli will not be let down that’s for sure, but fair-weather fans will more so favor his previous work. Right About Now sets on and puts out several fires—fires that more commercial rappers like 50 Cent, Ludacris and Nelly get their tans from.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
07:55 PM on 01/18/06
youareallfreaks
thoust dare quoth i?
User Info.
you mean talib lyrics stick to yo rib?
07:56 PM on 01/18/06
Greg Dona
N/A
User Info.
I like it. I'm down with any track w/MF Doom; I'm a sucker.
08:05 PM on 01/18/06
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
Originally Posted by youareallfreaks
i mean thats my favorite cd that i play in my crib.

hey great review. i like this disc alot.
08:08 PM on 01/18/06
JacksColdSweat
Strong Island's Finest
User Info.
hes in my top 5 of rappers. gyea
09:16 PM on 01/18/06
Northstar2313
Been Here A While
User Info.
Is this an actual album or a mixtape sort of thing?
09:24 PM on 01/18/06
Fullcollapse3k
should hit 32,000 posts by 2011.
User Info.
Originally Posted by Northstar2313
Is this an actual album or a mixtape sort of thing?

Just a mixtape.
09:28 PM on 01/18/06
wuninseven
User Info.
talib kweli is infinitely better than 50 cent, ludacris and nelly. he's one of the best out there, if not THE best. i prefer "quality," but this CD has some awesome tracks. the beat to "fly that knot" is one of the best i have ever heard. kweli is king.
11:09 PM on 01/18/06
mogwaifearsatan
feels good man
User Info.
Originally Posted by youareallfreaks

thats my favorite cd that i play in my crib

I want to get this somehow.
12:08 AM on 01/19/06
Pooavenger
Fuck Green Day
User Info.
Reflection Eternal was his best CD and nothing will ever top it. Blackstar was his second. The rest don't make the cut. haha. decent album though.
12:26 AM on 01/19/06
Fullcollapse3k
should hit 32,000 posts by 2011.
User Info.
Originally Posted by Pooavenger
Reflection Eternal was his best CD and nothing will ever top it. Blackstar was his second. The rest don't make the cut. haha. decent album though.

My order would be Blackstar, then Quality, and then Train of Thought (RE) followed by The Beautiful Struggle.

Blackstar, Quality and Train of Thought are all virtually untouchable.
07:20 PM on 01/19/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I love this album. you are right about "fly the knot" and "Ms. Hill". Those are def. some amazing songs. I love Kweli and this is up there as one of my favorite rap albums. Good review, I probably would have given it a little higher score though, but thats your job, not mine. Good review.
12:04 PM on 01/30/06
mikeford
firefrancona.blogspot.com
User Info.
this is great for just a mixtape. song with mf doom is a banger, as well as the song with mos def. nice to see papoose getting some love on this too. that kids the next big thing.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums