AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Heller Mason - The Mess I've Made Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Heller Mason - The Mess I've Made

Reviewed by: evan324 (06/02/09)
Heller MasonThe Mess I’ve Made
Release Date: March 24, 2009
Record Label: Gilead Media

Wisconsin's Todd Vandenberg, the man behind the band Heller Mason, released The Mess I've Made, his self-produced sophomore effort, without the help of any big studios of anything. The album, which reminds me of a mix between Joshua Radin and Conor Oberst, consists of 11 songs, each just as heart-felt as the song before it.

Todd worked with many people on this album and instruments like organs, cellos and the pedal steel guitar were used on some of the tracks. Lots of female vocals are also present to harmonize with Todd Vandenberg’s voice. These harmonies really bring out the songs' full potential. A lot of the songs almost have a country feel to them because of the steel guitars, which makes this much more unique than a lot the music out in the world today.

This is the type of album that makes ther perfect soundtrack for just sitting around on a nice sunny day and relaxing. Heller Mason should be a common name in the music industry these days, but maybe this is just the way that Todd wants it by churning out music that he loves to create. This is definitely going to be an album I see myself listening to over and over again when I want to just sit and relax.

Tracklisting1. The Mess I've Made
2. Duluth
3. Fools & Angels
4. Soot & Chalk
5. Another Song About Myself
6. This House Is Not A Home
7. Blood On The Strings
8. What Am I Doing Wrong?
9. Smoke & Shadows
10. Exit Lines
11. (When It's My) Time To Go

Heller Mason is Todd Vandenberg (Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Tambourine, Shakers, Xylophone)

Recommended If You LikeJoshua Radin, Cary Brothers, Matt Nathanson, Promise of Redemption

Myspace

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums