AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Action Action - An Army of Shapes Between Wars Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Action Action - An Army of Shapes Between Wars

Reviewed by: Don Trump (01/23/06)
Forget what you know about Action-Action. They aren't The Reunion Show reincarnated anymore. They have created one of the most beautiful albums so far this year (and it's just over an hour long!). Everything about it is a refinement of the already excellent Don't Cut Your Fabric To This Year's Fashion. It's once again produced by William Wittman and it's evident. This sounds like it was directly out of the 80s, not just a revival record.

First things first. The artwork is incredible. Probably one of the best ever. I love everything about it. One problem. The Victory sticker placed on it is obscene (The Killers? Interpol? The Faint? Okay maybe Depeche Mode.. but I still see it only remotely), this needs to stop. I'm sure the bands that have this happen to them can't stand it either.

The vocals still sound like old Action Action. At least the lead vocals. Not much has changed there. Mark's voice is something you either like or don't like. However, backing vocals seem to be far more atmospheric and more refined (Especially on 120 Ways To Kill You: A Childrens Book). Bottom line: If you liked The Reunion Show and Action Action's previous stuff you'll love the vocals.

Instrumentally is where Action Action seems to have made the biggest breakthrough. There's really nothing like it right now. In many ways it reminds me of the Beatles (Especially the Harrison-esque intro to The Game) and combining this with the ambient keyboards and backing vocals it just comes together so wonderfully. I was actually pleasantly surprised in what they've done with the sound of the band. It'd be very hard for someone to be disappointed in it.

As far was replayability and staying power goes.. This is entirely dependant on yoru tastes. I concede that Action Action is an acquired taste but if it's your style of music you'll definately agree with me on all these points. The band has done something truely wonderful here and they deserve nothing but the biggest success for their labors.

All in all. If you liked their last stuff you will not be disappointed in this. Even if you didn't like Don't Cut Your Fabric, give this a chance. You may be pleasantly surprised in the quality of this record.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
03:45 PM on 03/15/06
juan_believes
i can do the frug
User Info.
good review and excellent album
07:50 PM on 04/05/06
EatSleepFAndFle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
How does this compare to their first album, because their first one was fantastic.
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests