AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm Album Cover

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Reviewed by
England does music better than does America. Correction: England does progressive music better than does America. Who spawned the Sex Pistols and The Clash, two groups critical to the punk movement? England did. Who nurtured The Smiths into a developed band? England did. And who claims rights to the latest in trendy bands to namedrop, Radiohead? England does. Thus, through simple induction, we determine that England better fosters revolutionary music than does the United States.

This is not to say that Bloc Party is revolutionary. Rather, we the people are more inclined than are our British counterparts to embrace bass guided pop over guitar driven rock. It is such a fact that allows Kele Okerere to assume such ambitious stances for his group’s music so unashamedly. The group puts out a disc in Silent Alarm with the intention, one gathers from the driving guitar beats and bass lines juxtaposed with danceable guitar pieces and the perfectly strained vocals, of ruling the rock world.

The band starts out establishing itself in a no-nonsense fashion with the track “Like Eating Glass.” “Helicopter” thrashes harder than does the former, aggressively grinding repetitive riffs next to a melodic guitar line throughout. Up-tempo drum beats promote an energetic pace easily likened to many found on fellow European crew Franz Ferdinand’s latest efforts. “Positive Tension” unwinds a quirky progression with choppy singing; however, Bloc Party executes such a piece in the most impressive of manners. “Banquet” offers much of the same, and “Blue Light” presents the inevitable slow song. “She’s Hearing Voices” simplifies things with unruly chants and “This Modern Love” is the typical slow song that upgrades into a quicker paced melody. “Pioneers” does the same. Skipping ahead, “So Here We Are” offers the most tranquil and beautiful vocals on the most relaxed speed seen throughout the whole of Silent Alarm. “Luno” accelerates instantly, “Plans” decelerates, and “Compliments” rounds out the record at a comparable pace.

There are many things instantaneously loveable about Bloc Party on Silent Alarm. Most notable are their endearingly British characteristics; they scream “queuing up for some more junk food” on “Helicopter” and emit that perfect English accent on each and every vocal projection. And, most importantly, they carry themselves with that brave certainty that they can reach the top of the rock world.
This review is a user submitted review from Greg Dona. You can see all of Greg Dona's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
09:19 PM on 01/23/06
Don Trump
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'd have to disagree.

I don't think England is a mecca of innovation. I think they take something we have done musically and refine it to a much better package. But I love English bands, nothing against them of course.

Is this the cd with the video with the animation? That was a semi catchy song. I wasn't a fan of the vocals though.
09:27 PM on 01/23/06
Greg Dona
N/A
User Info.
Originally Posted by Don Trump
I'd have to disagree.

I don't think England is a mecca of innovation. I think they take something we have done musically and refine it to a much better package. But I love English bands, nothing against them of course.

Is this the cd with the video with the animation? That was a semi catchy song. I wasn't a fan of the vocals though.
I'd have to say, to clarify my thoughts, that rather than create new music better than do Americans, the British more effectively promote such innovative music to new heights in popularity. Does that make more sense?
09:40 PM on 01/23/06
pdlawry
User Info.
the cd's not that good. the second half if lacking
09:49 PM on 01/23/06
Pooavenger
Fuck Green Day
User Info.
ehh your statements kinda make sense but you have to consider that the british market is completely different than the U.S. and there are a ton of artists here who are pushing the limits of what you can do with music. I think your first paragraph was a bit bold and perhaps you are over-looking a ton of artists who are from here too. But maybe you just love british music more or we are taking what you said too literal. But either you're going to get a lot of debate otherwise. Your review was pretty hyped you can tell you totally loved the album.
10:27 PM on 01/23/06
JunkBondTrader
Judas seems sincere...
User Info.
Originally Posted by pdlawry
you're crazy, but its your opinion.
11:30 PM on 01/23/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
I find the 2nd half of this CD to be dissapointingly dull.
03:40 AM on 01/24/06
swizzle
LOVE BOAT CAPTAIN
User Info.
Originally Posted by Don Trump
yeah it is. i think the songs called pioneers
06:07 AM on 01/24/06
mexicanjesus
i am job
User Info.
this cd rocks my socks
06:10 AM on 01/24/06
Greg Dona
N/A
User Info.
Originally Posted by pdlawry
I think it's a good CD, but I agree that the second half is much less entertaining. That's why I hardly mentioned the tracks on it. They just never really grabbed my attention like the first few did.
02:16 PM on 01/24/06
fire on my lips
COME ON YOU SPURS
User Info.
good review and like others said the second half seemed to lack
09:46 PM on 01/25/06
BlackSheepBoy
User Info.
Originally Posted by Greg Dona
I think it's a good CD, but I agree that the second half is much less entertaining. That's why I hardly mentioned the tracks on it. They just never really grabbed my attention like the first few did.

How does a CD that is noticeably weaker in the entire second half still garner 9's almost all the way across the board? If the second part of the disc is "..hardly mentioned" in my book there is no way that album should be awarded such a high rating.
10:12 AM on 01/28/06
hbmmark
Commander Keen
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Dude. Learn to write.
02:33 PM on 01/28/06
lfdfforever
Always Ending
User Info.
Great cd.
05:22 PM on 01/30/06