AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Secrets Between Sailors - Secrets Between Sailors Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.75
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 6
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 84%

Secrets Between Sailors - Secrets Between Sailors

Reviewed by: speakhandsforme (06/08/09)
Secrets Between Sailors - Secrets Between Sailors
Release Date: January 6, 2009
Record Label: Sailor Music

I am not a sailor, nor have I ever spent a prolonged amount of time on a boat. However, from what I've learned from modern popular culture, I could not help but be intrigued by the potential lyrical composition of a band called Secrets Between Sailors. At the very least, I expected to hear a few tales of strapping lads' sexual deprivation being exchanged for homoeroticism on the open water. This I did not find. However, what I did find was a unique blend of rock n' roll and garage rock not often found in the fad-ridden music scene of today.

The group kicks off the nine-track self-titled album with an undeniably groovy, upbeat track entitled "In the Summertime." This song especially highlights the garage aspect of the band which is likely why I find it to be perhaps the least appealing track of the bunch. However, personal preference aside, whether one will enjoy the rest of the album will still likely hinge on their opinion of the first song, as it introduces the band's strongly rhythmic song structure and their raspy, independent (and for some, irritating) brand of garage band vocals.

While I find the second track "My Shootout With God" to be a strong improvement over the opening track, it largely repeats several often lamented traits found in its predecessor: repetitious, rhythm-based instrumentals recycled behind overexaggerated vocals that lack in range or variety. The track finishes strong with delightful work on the guitar, but sadly, poor production muddles the brilliance. The third track, "Wolves and Thieves," again carries the same faults. However, this track, the best thus far, is much stronger, as a whole, than the first two. The vocalist is able to relay the song's message clearly and the words are strongly supported musically. As the words "children on TV kill children on TV" echo throughout the track, we are fed resilient feelings of protest. I feel that, as the lyrics, vocals, and instrumentals on the track mesh together, "Wolves and Thieves" is one of the album's more emotionally accessible tracks.

The paces changes with "The Salt of My Lover's Tears," as the groovy rock 'n' roll jamming is temporarily abandoned for a slower, more storied style. Definitely one of my favorite tracks, the song evolves, culminates and ultimately fades by the leadership of the group's obviously talented guitarist. Again, this track is very accessible musically, as the group puts their talents into establishing a powerful tone. The next track, "Little Birds," is of a much more powerful variety and, again, hosts a much less structured song format, much to my liking.

Skipping over a couple tracks, the eighth track, "Condor Song," jumps out from the rest, stylistically, maintaining a fever pace for 3:30 only for the album to slow and devolve into its final track. "Tiny Pieces," the album's lone acoustic track borders on folk, and detached from the previously displayed style of music, the closing track tells a story of heartbreak as many acoustic works do. More than anything, the song allows the group to explore a different style of delivery.

Overall, Secrets Between Sailors' self-titled release should be a solid launching point for a talented young band. It will be very interesting to see how the group evolves and what new music they create in the coming years.

Recommended If You LikeThe Strokes, Husker Du, The Who, The Hives

www.myspace.com/secretsbetweensailors

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests