AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Last American Buffalo - Marquis for the Debutante Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8.25
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Last American Buffalo - Marquis for the Debutante

Reviewed by: Portugal4142 (06/09/09)
Last American Buffalo - Marquis for the Debutante
Record Label: None
Release Date: Self Released 2007

So you're going through a rough time, for whatever reason. You have a lot on your mind and if you're reading this, you're on absolutepunk.net. If you're on absolutepunk.net, you're music is your therapy. You're driving home and you're listening to something you can relate to at the time, maybe something angry, probably something that makes you feel so good because it makes you feel so terrible. This is something we all do, and personally, I do it too much. And as good as it feels to rock out to bands like Emery, Silverstein, Brand New, etc... The headache we get from listening to it on max volume in an enclosed car does not.

So is it just me or do other people find it hard to find music that they listen to because it clears your mind instead of filling it up? And sure there are a lot of bands/musicians that won't make you think about anything other than the music... turn on the radio... but is that music something you really enjoy listening to? More often than not, when we sacrifice the feeling we get from music, we're also sacrificing good music.

Meet Last American Buffalo. While listening to this band you will not think or say the following...
- OH MY GOD this song is about ME!
- They sound exactly like...
- Screw this I'm putting on Seventy times Seven

The first song I heard from Last American Buffalo was "Breaking up Mine". It's a radio ready, solid track, which ironically almost stopped me from checking out the rest of the CD. And I'm glad I did because it was a classic case of the song was good enough to rope you in, and now you listen to every other song more than the original. Stand out tracks such as "Dance Class for a Madam", "Pistol", and "She's Alrightl" are, well... refreshing. It's a reminder of why bands include the word "Indie" when describing themselves. But what's really so refreshing about Last American Buffalo is that there are traces of country, rock, AND indie.

The band does, however, fall short in some of their efforts. "Ordinary Girl" is a little fun, and also a little annoying at times. And while the band is diverse in the sound of their songs, they haven't quite figured out how to also diversify the CD. It doesn't differ enough from track to track. In other words, you can listen to and enjoy this whole CD, start to finish. But when you want to hear that one standout track that caught your attention most, you won't remember if it was in songs 1-3, or 8-11.

Marquis for the Debutante will make you a fan of this band. You'll keep it around for when you DON'T want to feel sad, angry, depressed, happy, energetic and you just want to listen to music. And if after this whole CD you still need something pulling at the heart strings, that's what the last track, "Sunshine", is for. Expect great things from this band.

Myspacewww.myspace.com/lastamericanbuffalo

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests