AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Comeback Season, The - Stay Safe Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7.75
Production 4
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 66%
Member Ratings
Vocals 0.38
Musicianship 0.38
Lyrics 0.38
Production 4.88
Creativity 0.63
Lasting Value 0.63
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Average: 11%
Inside AP.net

Comeback Season, The - Stay Safe

Reviewed by: npmshah (06/13/09)
The Comeback Season - Say Safe
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: January 20, 2009

Pop-punk. Some say its heyday has long passed, and others say it is on the verge of a Renaissance. Regardless of any of these opinions, there will always be kids playing the genre, for better or for worse. The Comeback Season is one of these bands, and though this band plays it damn well, they unfortunately offer nothing new.

On this effort, they open up with the song “Cities.” This song has a nice intro and lyrics reminiscent of a Lancaster-era Mayday Parade. It has a great guitar line, and the catchy gang vocals at the end manage not to sound tacky (did ya hear that, A Day to Remember?). However, despite the technical greatness of the song, it lacks something important: good production. This problem persists throughout this effort, making the songs less memorable than they would be with higher production values. The next two songs, “The Matador” and “If I Could Change Your Mind,” bleed into each other. Though the songs feature some interesting guitar work and great drumming, they are generic and indistinguishable from a lot of other pop punk bands out there. However, after the mediocrity of those two tracks, the song “Hands” comes on. This song is a complete gem, a true diamond in the rough. The beginning features great guitars and drums, the vocals and lyrics remain interesting, and the song ends with a nice slow bit. The only problem with this song would be that flaws in the mixing of the album are occasionally made very, if not briefly, clear. The track leads directly into title track, “Stay Safe,” a song with a good lead-in and a great chorus. This song also hints at some great control of dynamics and atmosphere within the band, as the only thing that stopped this song from soaring was the production. The final track, “The Sky Is Ours,” is a strong, yet fairly average closer.

Overall, this is a mixed effort from The Comeback Season. While some songs are doomed to mediocrity, others are pure diamonds. Highlights include “Cities,” “Hands,” and “Stay Safe,” and I personally cannot wait for the next effort from this band.

Recommended if You Like Mayday Parade, Valencia, Anberlin, Red Light Green Light

http://www.myspace.com/thecomebackseasonnj

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
05:38 AM on 06/20/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
good band
check them out
09:02 PM on 06/21/09
JoeForPresident
Vocals/Guitar - Modern Chemistry
User Info.
i LOVE this cd. the only problem i have with it is the fact that every song is in the key of D. Other than that though, they're definitely one of the best pop punk bands i've heard.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums