AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Money News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Bonnaroo A Success

Posted by - 11:05 AM on 06/15/09
It appears that Bonnaroo was a success on many levels. Did any of you guys attend? If so, we'd love to hear some stories and see some photos in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 73
11:18 AM on 06/15/09
Bostancic25
User Info.
I didn't, but I know someone who did. I had no idea what he was talking about, but all of the sudden it's everywhere. I'm glad it was a success!
11:18 AM on 06/15/09
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
User Info.
Well duh, did anyone look at the line-up? It was the most diverse its ever been. There was something for everyone there.
11:23 AM on 06/15/09
CarlosLunes
aloneatlastnj = best poster!
User Info.
katzenjammer
11:27 AM on 06/15/09
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Wish I could have gone.
11:28 AM on 06/15/09
hiya
User Info.
watched some of it on live stream, some very good performances.
11:36 AM on 06/15/09
IceAge/HeatWave
Jesus rides beside me
User Info.
outstanding line-up. wish i could have gone.
11:40 AM on 06/15/09
SSLYBY
Back in the saddle.
User Info.
Wanted to go so bad, going to lollapalooza instead!
11:48 AM on 06/15/09
ACA
Next Show: Balance&Composure 12/27
User Info.
It was amazing. I'm two shows behind on my writeups and photos (Bamboozle Day 2, The Gaslight Anthem) but I might put those on hold for relevance reasons--I need to get my Bonnaroo stuff up on my site.

Brief rundown:

Bruce Springsteen was phenomenal.. over three hours and nearly thirty songs.. he's an incredible guitarist, something I don't think you can understand on his albums. We know he's (one of?) the best songwriter of our time, but he's actually amazing on the axe. His band is absurdly talented and well-rehearsed. He is the reason most of the bands covered on this site are laughable. Bruce spent a good portion of the time hanging in the crowd. His son's great musical taste of punk performers is wearing well on the old bastard. It was amazing to get so close to the stage, when a normal Bruce show puts you way away in a stadium.

Dirty Projectors.. rec'd to me by a kid during acoustic Portugal The Man.. blew me away. Easily the best tent performance of all four days. I've never been so amazed by a band I'd never heard.

King Sunny - wow, what a performance. Probably top five all weekend.

Nine Inch Nails were great. Never seen them before, but glad to catch their last US performance ever. Singles-heavy setlist but the other cuts were powerhouses. Great.

Beastie Boys.. very heavy on the punk-side, but they did throw in a few crowd-appeasing hits. Great performers. Guest appearance by Nas was strong. Proof they are a real band deserving of their success, they rocked live.

Girl Talk - a host of new mixes.. Red Hot Chili Peppers mash was nice. Hell of a performer, what a dance party.

Phoenix - dance party. Rocking.. forget their albums, this is a band to see live.

Crystal Castles - more dance party.

Amadou & Mariam - wondeful.

Elvis Costello - a huge influence on my own music, it was nice to see him perform solo acoustic (before being joined by a full band, Jenny Lewis, and more). He writes incredible songs. Great show, if a little short.

Katzenjammer - very nice surprise, great set.

That's off the top of my head.. I saw another 20 or so acts that I'll write up for my site later. I have a shit ton of setlists and photos.

Here's Bruce's... if this isn't a near-perfect 28 song setlist, I don't know what is..

Badlands
No Surrender
My Lucky Day
Outlaw Pete
Out In The Street
Working On A Dream
Seeds
Johnny 99
Youngstown
Raise Your Hand
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (""It's too fucking hot for Santa!")
Growin' Up
Thunder Road
Waiting On A Sunny Day
The Promised Land
The River
Kingdom Of Days
Radio Nowhere
Lonesome Day
The Rising
Born To Run
Hard Times
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
Land Of Hope And Dreams
American Land
Rosalita
Glory Days
Dancing In The Dark
12:04 PM on 06/15/09
CircaKnives
Never waking up again...
User Info.
I really wasn't too enthusiastic about Bonnarro this year, but now I guess I should have gone. I'm impressed from some of the videos I've seen. All the people that set up Bonnaroo every year deserve props because that's just a beautiful place to have music. I would set it second among great outdoor venues, with Red Rocks being the best.
12:05 PM on 06/15/09
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It was amazing. I'm two shows behind on my writeups and photos (Bamboozle Day 2, The Gaslight Anthem) but I might put those on hold for relevance reasons--I need to get my Bonnaroo stuff up on my site.

Brief rundown:

Bruce Springsteen was phenomenal.. over three hours and nearly thirty songs.. he's an incredible guitarist, something I don't think you can understand on his albums. We know he's (one of?) the best songwriter of our time, but he's actually amazing on the axe. His band is absurdly talented and well-rehearsed. He is the reason most of the bands covered on this site are laughable. Bruce spent a good portion of the time hanging in the crowd. His son's great musical taste of punk performers is wearing well on the old bastard. It was amazing to get so close to the stage, when a normal Bruce show puts you way away in a stadium.

Dirty Projectors.. rec'd to me by a kid during acoustic Portugal The Man.. blew me away. Easily the best tent performance of all four days. I've never been so amazed by a band I'd never heard.

Nine Inch Nails were great. Never seen them before, but glad to catch their last US performance ever. Singles-heavy setlist but the other cuts were powerhouses. Great.

Beastie Boys.. very heavy on the punk-side, but they did throw in a few crowd-appeasing hits. Great performers. Guest appearance by Nas was strong. Proof they are a real band deserving of their success, they rocked live.

Girl Talk - a host of new mixes.. Red Hot Chili Peppers mash was nice. Hell of a performer, what a dance party.

Phoenix - dance party. Rocking.. forget their albums, this is a band to see live.

Elvis Costello - a huge influence on my own music, it was nice to see him perform solo acoustic (before being joined by a full band, Jenny Lewis, and more). He writes incredible songs. Great show, if a little short.

That's off the top of my head.. I saw another 20 or so acts that I'll write up for my site later. I have a shit ton of setlists and photos.

Here's Bruce's... if this isn't a near-perfect 28 song setlist, I don't know what is..

Badlands
No Surrender
My Lucky Day
Outlaw Pete
Out In The Street
Working On A Dream
Seeds
Johnny 99
Youngstown
Raise Your Hand
Growin' Up
Thunder Road
Waiting On A Sunny Day
The Promised Land
The River
Kingdom Of Days
Radio Nowhere
Lonesome Day
The Rising
Born To Run
Hard Times
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
Land Of Hope And Dreams
American Land
Rosalita
Glory Days
Dancing In The Dark
Saw Dirty Projectors open for TV On The Radio last week in Central Park. The hype is to be believed.

Was Phoenix's setlist heavy on their new album? I'm hoping so as I'm not as familiar with their earlier releases (and I'm seeing them this Fri in NYC).
12:07 PM on 06/15/09
Radiology
User Info.
I don't understand why everyone thinks this was such a great line-up? sounds pretty shitty compared to the past 3 years (especially compared to 2006). either way, I still wish I could have gone as well.
jenny92786
go phillies
User Info.
Haha Bruce? Sounds awful. Bonnaroo has changed too much. Started last year with Kanye, what a joke.
thisisadisaster
RICK FROM ALABAMA
User Info.
i had a fucking blast. i will right up a huge review later, but my favorites of the weekend:

1. katzenjammer
2. nine inch nails
3. beastie boys
4. animal collective
5. crystal castles
12:12 PM on 06/15/09
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.

Brief rundown:

Badlands
No Surrender
My Lucky Day
Outlaw Pete
Out In The Street
Working On A Dream
Seeds
Johnny 99
Youngstown
Raise Your Hand
Growin' Up
Thunder Road
Waiting On A Sunny Day
The Promised Land
The River
Kingdom Of Days
Radio Nowhere
Lonesome Day
The Rising
Born To Run
Hard Times
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out