AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Consider the Thief - Signs and Wonders Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.17
Lyrics 8.83
Production 9
Creativity 7.67
Lasting Value 8.42
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Consider the Thief - Signs and Wonders

Reviewed by: Romancebled (06/15/09)
Consider the ThiefSigns and Wonders
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: June 16, 2009

After streaming Consider the Thief's new album Signs and Wonders exclusively on Absolutepunk.net, I knew this was something special right from the start. Hailing from Sacramento, CA, this band is no stranger to the local scene. Consisting of ex-Heartshed members and a former Dance Gavin Dance guitarist, you should already have a hint that the talent is all there. Shortly after the release of Soldiers and Saints in 2008, it was quickly viewed as one of the most hard-hitting debut EPs of any band within the genre. It was often compared to acts such as Beloved and early Thrice. However, the band was soon willing to take a risk with their music. They wanted to challenge themselves and prove that they don’t need to rely on screaming and heavy breakdowns in order to create a successful album. A year later, they’re back with a 13-track full length that will surely surprise many of you.

On Signs and Wonders, the band took a 180 with their music and headed into a more mellow and experimental direction, as compared to their previous post-hardcore influences. The album starts off with the title track “Signs and Wonders,” which features vocalist Dryw Owens’ mesmerizing vocals layered over a soft piano backing and digital sampling. It then transitions to “Joshua” while quickly picking up the overall pace of the album. The guitar work presented by Owens, Sean O’Sullivan, and Jordan Wells is extremely impressive and will definitely give you chills throughout the album. “Son of Hell” is a track that is highly recommended for fans of Dustin Kensrue’s solo work. At times, Owens even sounds remotely similar to Kensrue vocally, but this is definitely not a bad thing. One of my personal favorites is “Until the Day Comes”, which sounds like a continuation of where The Receiving End of Sirens currently left off with The Earth Sings Mi Fa Mi. Bassist Zack Walkingstick and drummer Lucas Allen also shine throughout the entire track with their complex and solid rhythm section. The second to last track “The Lost Son” will most likely become a fan favorite among the album. Almost clocking in at 6 minutes, it’s filled with atmospheric guitars and falsetto vocals that will leave the listener in complete awe and admiration. Closing off the album with the beautifully piano-driven “Jonette,” Consider the Thief have once again created an inspiring and breathtaking album that will only further lead to success down the road.

The diversity and flow of this album are nearly flawless and the thick layers are also a huge plus. Consider the Thief is at the top of their game and they currently show no signs of slowing down anytime soon. It’s still puzzling that this band is unsigned, while talentless groups such as Millionaires are getting signed to Pete Wentz’s record label. If there is any hope left in the music industry, this band deserves to have a record deal after releasing one of the best albums of 2009.

Recommended If You LikeThrice - The Alchemy Index: Vol. II: Water (2007)
The Receiving End of Sirens – The Earth Sings Mi Fa Mi (2007)
As Cities Burn - Come Now Sleep (2007)

http://www.myspace.com/considerthethief

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23.
01:43 PM on 06/21/09
shadowborn11
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So is this band christian or what?
02:36 PM on 06/21/09
Melkor
You and I are going to Live Forever
User Info.
They must have been listening to a lot of music in 2007, haha. Score is way too high imo but it is a good listen.
10:17 PM on 06/21/09
InBetweenAisles
WeReadTheSignsCompletelyB ackwards
User Info.
This was an excellent review! All the words were honest and true about the album. I totally agree. This CD was awesome. They really changed their sound from progressive hardcore to a more experimental type of genre and it was really good. I would love to see them perform these songs live someday. They should really tour on this album.
06:17 AM on 06/22/09
SilverWings
Just don't poo in my hat
User Info.
Anything that sounds like Thrice, TREOS and ACB is worth checking.
06:09 PM on 06/22/09
drewz5
Nothin better than a journey to you
User Info.
You beat me to the review!! But good work, i think my favorite is Until The Day Comes. The guitar is so good. Great album, great guys, can't wait to see them live!
11:04 PM on 06/23/09
Chellebellx0210
needs to change her username.
User Info.
Hm. I'll try to see if I can pick this up soon.
11:09 PM on 06/23/09
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Really solid album. I like it a lot. Good job with this.
01:02 AM on 06/24/09
kemichels
I drove through ghosts to get here.
User Info.
Anything that sounds like Thrice, TREOS and ACB is worth checking.
THIS.
02:08 AM on 06/24/09
singlexsorrow
In all this chaos we found safety..
User Info.
great informative review! An album everyone should definitely check out
02:10 AM on 06/24/09
chasebratton
User Info.
So is this band christian or what?
Ask them. They're really open, nice dudes.
02:16 AM on 06/24/09
chasebratton
User Info.
How this band is unsigned still is ridiculous.
Great debut LP. Great guys.
Support this band.
05:52 AM on 06/24/09
get up kidd
I refuse to sink
User Info.
awesome band!!
07:26 AM on 06/24/09
abellaw
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review and i agree with the score on the first listen i was really surprised at the change of direction but i really liked it and for a debut full length i think it was one of the best i have heard. I cant wait to see where they go in the future and will they release a cd version or no last i heard it was only digital
07:38 AM on 06/24/09
kemichels
I drove through ghosts to get here.
User Info.
I listened to this all the way through in the car and there were some moments where I just had to say "wow". Really excited about this band. Great cd.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests