AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Rocky Votolato - Makers Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 8.38
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 4.38
Average: 71%
Inside AP.net

Rocky Votolato - Makers

Reviewed by: Garett Press (02/02/06)
Rocky Votolato – Makers
{SCORE: 8.8/10}
1. What Daisy Passing
2. Portland is Leaving
3. The Night's Disguise
4. She Was Only in it For the Rain
5. Uppers Aren't Neccessary
6. Wait Out the Days
7. Streetlights
8. Tennessee Train Tracks
9. Goldfield
10. Tinfoil Hats
11. Where We Left Off
12. Makers

Rocky Votolato is the type of musician who makes my job easy. His voice and his sound are as one so picturesque and evocative, the descriptive adjectives and sonic metaphors could practically write themselves. A throat warming whiskey, the crackle of a dim hearth flame, a creaky wooden rocking chair, and the homely twang of a handmade acoustic guitar… if there was ever an image projected by musical composition, this is that of Rocky Votolato’s Makers.

In many senses, Makers is an album you’d expect from someone much older than Rocky V. Whereas Suicide Medicine seemed made to accompany a road trip slideshow (and Makers does as well to an extent), Makers gives a stronger vibe of a more stationary, road-weary Rocky; riper with a few years of age, pensive in reflection, contemplative of his rung on the ladder of success and love, and confidently deliberating the slow road to the grave. It’s a meditative pleasure to hear these ruminations in audio format and worth listening to if only for the invigorating refreshment of hearing acoustic rock with maroccas, slide guitar, tambourines, and harmonicas done right, ohhhh so right. All too rarely are we afforded the opportunity to enjoy this winning combination in such pure form.

Again as always, Votolato exercises his knack for tearing – and I mean tearing! – into the human core with soulful chords and worn melodic vocals. There are times where the laceration in your heartstrings is almost tangible, and this is by no means a relationship record. The romantic words penned for “The Night’s Disguise” (“the clouds are holding up the dawn / they're stilts or crutches I can't tell which one / to keep the short days looking longer / or to keep the sunlight from falling on broken legs / but the night's disguise is wearing thin”) work in beautiful contradiction with the convictive chorus; it’s a juxtaposition that stirs me every time. In other highlights, the piano accompanied outro of “Goldfield”, the rat-tat verses of “She Was Only in it for the Rain”, the dreamy finger picked conclusion of “Streetlights”, and the blossoming harmonies in “White Daisy Passing” all make for a thoroughly satisfying listen. I imagine that if we lived in an era that idolized brilliant singer/songwriters, Rocky would be a fan favorite.

As a record, it shares a similar flaw with Suicide Medicine. Until you’ve had repeated sittings, several tracks may fail to grip you, especially towards the tail end. It is also not as instantly attractive as Rocky’s past efforts, but picture it in this manner: you’ve encountered the attractive young adult, and now allow me to introduce you to the slightly wrinkled elder man. Don’t necessarily favor immediate appeal, but instead, seek out the wisdom within… then make your judgments.

Mine? Makers is as intoxicating as the whiskey after which it’s named.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
12:12 PM on 02/02/06
badnewsherald
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
nice.
12:17 PM on 02/02/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Wait Out The Days is my favorite, it may change though.
12:20 PM on 02/02/06
Gabe Gross
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
wow....well said garett

love that last line...I'm gonna make an album called Jack
12:27 PM on 02/02/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
this album is soooo good. Personally, it's actually my favorite Rocky album to date. I feel like it's the most well-rounded. It doesn't have any super amazing tracks on it, like the last one did ("Montana"...sigh) but there's less weak tracks.
12:28 PM on 02/02/06
Garett Press
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber
this album is soooo good. Personally, it's actually my favorite Rocky album to date. I feel like it's the most well-rounded. It doesn't have any super amazing tracks on it, like the last one did ("Montana"...sigh) but there's less weak tracks.
yeah I'd agree with that, I was actually going to say that exact point about there being no "Montana" lol, ironic, but true
12:50 PM on 02/02/06
SLADE775
Still the greatest
User Info.
Great review Garett.
01:02 PM on 02/02/06
Gabe Gross
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this album is like eating a bowl full of sugar chased with a bottle of aunt jemima
01:22 PM on 02/02/06
Dudebroham
one check one love
User Info.
This cd isnt that good, mediocre at best. Songwriting is rather dull, i've heard this sound from a thousand different artists, but better. yawn.
01:24 PM on 02/02/06
Garett Press
User Info.
Originally Posted by Dudebroham
This cd isnt that good, mediocre at best. Songwriting is rather dull, i've heard this sound from a thousand different artists, but better. yawn.
One in particular?
02:50 PM on 02/02/06
bigmike
...is "big" and "mike"
User Info.
nice review. and i think this is a tremendous record.
02:50 PM on 02/02/06
zeketheplmbr
erection selection
User Info.
Makers and coke.....good drink
03:10 PM on 02/02/06
SC0926
ba da ba......
User Info.
Originally Posted by Garett Press
One in particular?
yes examples please.. cuse this album is fantastic
03:47 PM on 02/02/06
onefallenhero
It All Comes Down To This
User Info.
I picked this CD up with the intentions of a next Suicide Medicine. I gave it a listen once. It was nothing like Suicide Medicine. After looking at it on my desk I sat down with the lyrics and just listened. Rocky Votalato somehow can reinvent himself. After his days in Waxwings and old hardcore movies this album has his age written on it. I do not mean this to be insulting, however much of the folk music I usually consume it has great similarities. I love this album, and don't make the mistake I did. If your into more upbeat songs try "Tenneesee Train Tracks," or "White Daisy Passing." One of the best albums out this year! You should all check out Grizzley Bear. Garrett good job.
04:27 PM on 02/02/06
mewithoutyou
BATMAN BEGINS on June 15
User Info.
This album is very good but a couple of tracks (In It for The Rain and the last 2 tracks) hurt the album a lot. They are way below the level of tracks like White Daisy Passing, Tenessee is Leaving and Streetlights. Overall, there is no doubt these are his best songs but I'm leaning towards keeping Suicide Medicine as his most entertaining album in my mind.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums