AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sighlo - Shattered Pieces Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7
Production 8.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 83%

Sighlo - Shattered Pieces

Reviewed by: Rickaly (06/16/09)
Sighlo - Shattered Pieces
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: May 8, 2009

Hailing from Columbus, Ohio, the five piece post-hardcore band Sighlo has been dominating the local scene with their energetic live shows since 2004. With their successful self-released debut, The Start, they grabbed much attention and have created themselves a strong fan base. Their newest release, Shattered Pieces, challenges their creativity and takes their originality one step further mixing elements of post-hardcore, pop-punk, and progressive metal.

The album kicks off with a gut wrenching bass line in the opener "Kamikaze Personality." The guitar soars through and the vocals are very strong. Sighlo tells you that they are back and ready to show you what they are made of. The albums title track "Shattered Pieces" stands solid throughout and barely lifts off the ground once the bridge comes in. The metal influenced song "My Masterpiece" starts off with a steady drum beat and riff that instantly reminds you of something to come off of a Disturbed album. The song leads into a nu-metal influenced pre-chorus and picks up the tempo for the upbeat chorus. After halfway through the album with many memorable songs to count, Sighlo shows you that they are not done. The powerhouse track "Trees Sway" is my personal favorite and may be for many. The song immediately lifts off the ground and goes even higher as it hits the progressive climactic breakdown of the song. The album ends with the ballad "Bluebird," a song riddled with cheesy lyrics but one of the album's highlights nonetheless.

Overall, the band has created another great and original album filled with catchy songs, hard-hitting breakdowns and a little pop-punk influence ("Escape"). Filled with memorable tracks, this album is one that should be recognized by everyone. The creativity is superior and makes this album hard to classify in any specific genre. In addition to Sighlo's great debut and energetic live show, Shattered Pieces will take their success further and bring them many fans in the near future. This album will remain as one of my favorites, and stay at the top of my playlist for 2009.

Recommended If You LikeFrom Autumn to Ashes, Thrice's The Artist in the Ambulance, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

Check out Sighlo on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
10:54 AM on 06/26/09
elknetld2kil
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I strongly Recommend their last effort as well. Great band, IMO.
05:58 PM on 06/27/09
chelseaxsmilexD
AP.net's official punching bag
User Info.
yayy
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles