Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 77
10:07 PM on 06/19/09
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
It's too bad they called it quits, then. Please enlighten me as to how they're relevant or influential at the moment (I'm being completely serious here). And I just find his music unpleasant.
I am no huge fan of NIN's music either, but look at the facts. The band just celebrated the 20 year anniversary of Pretty Hate Machine, and they were filling arena shows. If that isn't relevant or influential, how about the fact they just used connections with fans to raise money for a patient's heart transplant? The fact they gave away The Slip for free as a thank you to fans? The purchase options for Ghosts was pretty ambitious, and the viral marketing for Year Zero was beyond the scope of any other copycat campaign that followed.

Still disagree?
10:09 PM on 06/19/09
doppelganger
katy song
User Info.
Sorry to break it to him, but he is irrelevant. I seriously do not see the appeal he (or his band) holds.
Also, I would take Sufjan Stevens over him any day.
lulz
10:11 PM on 06/19/09
ManicanParty49
Rob Carey Peterson
User Info.
Meh. I know a lot of hardcore NIN fans. He has nothing to worry about haha.
10:15 PM on 06/19/09
muchoawesomeo
...punch and pie
User Info.
grizzly bear is relevant. super good stuff
10:15 PM on 06/19/09
BlackpoolLights
Music Connoisseur
User Info.
And yet, they simply make me feel...irritated.

Oh, and Trent influenced production techniques, every one-man band out there, and industrial or experimental rock artists across the board. His stance on the music industry is well-known, and he's relevant in plenty of other ways too...

I really wish that music fans would get past their ignorant belief that their likes and dislikes dictate how the music world functions.

For the record, I'm not even a big fan of NIN. Downward Spiral was their last well-done album, and the only one that I still listen to is Pretty Hate Machine.
10:26 PM on 06/19/09
Radiology
User Info.
Grizzly Bear should make a lot of bands feel irrelevant. Especially since, in my opinion, they just released the best album to come out in the past 8 or 9 years.

Veckatimest is a master piece.
10:28 PM on 06/19/09
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
at least he's aware.
haha this.
10:32 PM on 06/19/09
boysandbulletsx
Just jammin' on the glockenspiel
User Info.
I am no huge fan of NIN's music either, but look at the facts. The band just celebrated the 20 year anniversary of Pretty Hate Machine, and they were filling arena shows. If that isn't relevant or influential, how about the fact they just used connections with fans to raise money for a patient's heart transplant? The fact they gave away The Slip for free as a thank you to fans? The purchase options for Ghosts was pretty ambitious, and the viral marketing for Year Zero was beyond the scope of any other copycat campaign that followed.

Still disagree?
While it is commendable that NIN raised money for a patient's heart transplant surgery, I do not find that much else qualifies Trent Reznor as immensely influential right now. I think that it was very big-headed of him to assume that he holds such a monumental and vital place in this world. We've seen major label, big-time performers accomplish similar things. There is nothing revolutionary about viral marketing (athough NIN did take advantage of it in a creative manner), giving away an album for free, or offering different packages for fans to choose from.
10:39 PM on 06/19/09
BlackpoolLights
Music Connoisseur
User Info.
While it is commendable that NIN raised money for a patient's heart transplant surgery, I do not find that much else qualifies Trent Reznor as immensely influential right now. I think that it was very big-headed of him to assume that he holds such a monumental and vital place in this world. We've seen major label, big-time performers accomplish similar things. There is nothing revolutionary about viral marketing (athough NIN did take advantage of it in a creative manner), giving away an album for free, or offering different packages for fans to choose from.
Aaaaand you just went from annoying to oblivious.

Radiology, "masterpiece" is one word, and I sincerely doubt ANYONE will be calling Veckatimest that in a decade or two. Just my opinion.
10:40 PM on 06/19/09
YouSmellExcited
those who can't do run AP.net ;)
User Info.
dopest
french accents
EVEERRR!
10:43 PM on 06/19/09
timb89
Australian Music Roundup
User Info.
i gotta get the new grizzly bear album, but surfjan stevens is just a beautiful human being i wish he would come back to australia
10:45 PM on 06/19/09
boysandbulletsx
Just jammin' on the glockenspiel
User Info.

Radiology, "masterpiece" is one word, and I sincerely doubt ANYONE will be calling Veckatimest that in a decade or two. Just my opinion.
I don't think you understand the definition of "oblivious", sweetheart.
10:46 PM on 06/19/09
Radiology
User Info.

Still disagree?

I think he's talking about music wise today, as in his last few efforts, that NIN is irrelevant which I agree. When you have Grizzly Bear, a band that pays so much attention to their craft to create such intricate pop music that is so complex and yet so accessible and brilliant, it makes NIN tunes feel so dated. I've been a fan of Reznor for a long time, not because I'm in love with his music (though I actually did enjoy Ghosts a lot) but because of how intelligent he is when it comes to marketing, communication with his fans and how he presents his music rather than the music itself. NIN in the past though, I mean the guy pretty much invented industrial so that shows relevance on its own... and I'm sure he's aware of that.
10:51 PM on 06/19/09
BlackpoolLights
Music Connoisseur
User Info.
I don't think you understand the definition of "oblivious", sweetheart.
Better than you do, evidently.

:-*
10:52 PM on 06/19/09
Radiology
User Info.

just see how many lists Veckatimest ends up on in "top 10 Albums of 2009". It says something when an album leaks so early and ends up being one of the top 10 albums sold the week it is released. I'd say there hasn't been a day since I got it in March that I haven't listend to it. I haven't listened to an album so much since Kid A. I know many other people that can say the same thing. You should try actually listening to the album and maybe you'll understand it ;) sorry it's not spoon fed to you like Blink 182.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos