AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Portugal. The Man - Waiter: "You... Album Cover

Portugal. The Man - Waiter: "You...

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Portugal. The ManWaiter: “You Vultures!”
Release Date: January 24, 2006
Record Label: Fearless Records

Portugal. The Man is quite the enigma. Full of complexities extending beyond the bizarre punctuation used in their name, their debut release is a mix of soft melodies and electronic effects. Abandoning the style of their previous band, Anatomy of a Ghost, (whose spastic live show was remarkable), Portugal. The Man has created a fantastic record that flows together with every ebb and flow of dynamic progression. While the record is not conventionally catchy, it makes an imprint in the might. The vocals are high-pitched without the slightest hint of whine, and the fluctuations in tone are gentle and soothing. It’s not that Waiter: “You Vultures!” is an giant snooze-fest, there are plenty of tracks that offer aggression to vary the pace. Songs like “Marching With 6” and “Chicago” are more up-tempo tracks to prevent the record from ever falling into a pattern. While the majority of this album is slowly paced, there is truly never a dull moment as each track possesses its own unique characteristic that sets it apart from the rest. In “AKA M80 the Wolf,” the backing guitar parts are just as memorable as the actual melody, similar to Minus the Bear's Menos El Oso. As vocalist John Gourley croons “What a proud, proud man” towards the end of the track, a haunting keyboard pattern and guitar lick wedge themselves permanently into memory.

Other tracks are accented by guest vocals, most notably back to back tracks “Marching With 6” and “Elephants.” Both songs feature guest vocals from Nic Newsham (Gatsby’s American Dream), who meshes in perfectly with the songs. His performance at the end of “Elephants” is raw, passionate, and caps off a mainly acoustic song with a Latin flavor to it. Despite featuring no traditional percussion for the majority of the song, “Elephants” is one of the more danceable tracks on the record, of which there are many. The second half of the record begins to feel around and explore some more, experimenting with electronic effects and progressively weirder melodies. The album does lose some steam after “Chicago,” and it’s clear that the first half of this record, albeit more accessible, is a lot stronger. The last few tracks fade off into the distance without leaving a lasting impression.

Portugal. The Man’s debut release is a fantastic release with solid lasting value. While some people may immediately compare this band to The Blood Brothers because of the vocals, don’t believe the hype. The vocals are high, but in control and inexplicably memorable. Perhaps the closest comparison would be Circa Survive, with their loosely defined music and free-flowing vocals. Casey Bates does a fantastic job behind the knobs once again. The production and mixing fits this band perfectly, letting the music do the talking without overpowering anything. The electronic effects are integrated expertly into songs, and the result is a unique sound that can only be associated to Portugal. The Man. Waiter: “You Vultures!” is already one the best albums released in 2006. Pick up this release today to ensure you don’t forget about this exceptional band.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
02:09 PM on 02/07/06
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
I love this album...
02:09 PM on 02/07/06
xllirikx
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Good review. Although I think the most "fun" song is Chicago
02:15 PM on 02/07/06
Jon Foucart
The Jester
User Info.
awesome. fav cd to come out since saves the day's stay what you are
02:15 PM on 02/07/06
jynxedheart
is more scene than jesus
User Info.
great review scotty-boy. p.s. the b-sides own your face. and to anyone claiming them to be a watered-down mars volta, go suck off frances you indie queens
02:16 PM on 02/07/06
tymsnurmn04
aka sunbear @weworemasks.com
User Info.
Awesome review Weebs...I didn't know Nic was on the CD but when he did come in it was such a suprise.

Very awesome CD...I personally think it reminds me of Neon Blonde with Cedric Bixler Zavala behinf the mic.
02:30 PM on 02/07/06
fortyparachutes
Won't Save You Now
User Info.
very good review...i told myslef it had to be Nic or else I was crazy...turns out both are true
02:31 PM on 02/07/06
minusthejosh
Kill the big pig
User Info.
great review weebs. i'm in love with this cd
03:09 PM on 02/07/06
sean omerta
ye-yeah!
User Info.
almost completely agreed.
I think Horse Warming Party picks the momentum right back up at the end.
A great review, and a great album.

my pick for album of '06, thusfar.
03:09 PM on 02/07/06
zeketheplmbr
erection selection
User Info.
Good album.
03:25 PM on 02/07/06
Caleb Cattivera
Cupid of Absolutepunk
User Info.
great review.
03:39 PM on 02/07/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Originally Posted by Jon Foucart

Wow, that honestly is saying a lot.
03:53 PM on 02/07/06
Vint
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by Jon Foucart

It's already in my top five. :D PS- Put a link to the PTM board in your sig. You've got pwr, use it!
04:15 PM on 02/07/06
Garett Press
User Info.
nailed down my exact thoughts as usual Scottie too Hottie
04:31 PM on 02/07/06
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
User Info.
Another really positive review of this album at CokeMachineGlow (http://www.cokemachineglow.com/revie...iter2005.html).

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos