AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Shuteye Unison - Shuteye Unison Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 6.25
Production 6.25
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 66%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Shuteye Unison - Shuteye Unison

Reviewed by: Rich Duncan (06/20/09)
Shuteye UnisonlShuteye Unison
Record Label: Parks And Records
Release Date: May 7, 2008

Who:

San Francisco, California based quartet that features three members of The Rum Diary.

How Is It?

Shuteye Unison’s self-titled EP is the sort of sprawling, atmospheric rock you can temporarily lose yourself in. Daniel Mckenzie’s vocals rarely rise above a whisper, but his vocal style is the perfect fit for Shuteye Unison’s lush soundscapes. Shuteye Unison’s songs are all about the build ups, especially on lengthy tracks such as the seven and a half minute long “Fields Landing”. “Fields Landing” opens with sparse instrumentation and sound clips and moves along at an almost glacial pace before transitioning into a more aggressive approach in the waning minutes. Although Shuteye Unison’s strength seems to be crafting beautiful, expansive instrumental passages, the band also displays the ability to disrupt the lulling nature of their songs with brief flashes of heaviness (“Slow Ravens”) or unrelenting energy (“Tomorrow’s Five Horizons”). Shuteye Unison’s debut EP is enjoyable and shows a band that is capable of great things, but some of the songs tend to drag as the album goes on. I loved listening to this album while walking to class when the weather was less than perfect outside (either pouring rain or in the middle of a notorious Oswego snowstorm), and I find that this album is perfect for those moments. I am curious to hear the follow up the band is currently recording and I feel that if they further build on the groundwork of Shuteye Unison, it will be an album to look out for.

RIYLThe Appleseed Cast, The Rum Diary, Antarctica, Mogwai

listenMyspace

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4.
09:41 PM on 06/21/09
TheBaroness
User Info.
definitely going to check this out!
06:27 PM on 06/22/09
bradsonemanband
Change To Fire/Cootie Catcher
User Info.
i'll check this out tonight too. great review. sounds like a good band!
01:38 AM on 06/23/09
mogwaifearsatan
feels good man
User Info.
i found these guys awhile back and loved them, but i couldn't find anything by them. glad you reminded me to pick the search back up.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS