AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sullivan - Hey, I'm a Ghost Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 4.75
Musicianship 6.25
Lyrics 4.75
Production 5.75
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 4.5
Reviewer Tilt 4
Final Verdict: 49%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.08
Musicianship 8.54
Lyrics 8.21
Production 8.58
Creativity 8.04
Lasting Value 8.42
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

Sullivan - Hey, I'm a Ghost

Reviewed by: Scott Weber (02/08/06)
SullivanHey, I’m a Ghost

Release Date: January 24, 2006
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records

After months and months of anxious readers anticipating music from Sullivan, the band’s debut CD on Tooth & Nail records has hit shelves at the beginning of 2006. It’s unfortunate timing for the band, because with the album they’ve created, it’s almost certain that this record will be forgotten by many by the end of the year. A fairly safe release that lacks anything memorable, Hey, I’m a Ghost is plagued by mediocrity. Following the trend of post-hardcore rock without screaming (see: new Saosin, Terminal), Sullivan’s record simply drags. Though some might call the vocals unique, the high pitched thing isn’t new anymore, it’s old and busted. While the record isn’t terrible, it doesn’t bring anything new to the table. Each song seems to follow the same formula, and when the band tries to mix it up, they find themselves using the same techniques multiple times on the record. The choruses are full of hooks, but there are only so much of the pseudo-raw snotty vocals one can take. It seems like this release is attempting to be stripped down, but it instead comes off as unpolished without a hint of distinction.

There are several songs on the album that manage to stand out from the rest. “Ten Ways to Impress” begins with that oh-so-familiar pattern of accented downbeats layered over a single sustained chord that a lot of pop-rock bands use, the most obvious example being Acceptance’s “Permanent.” This is actually a good thing until the chorus hits, when it slows to a crawl and delivers an anthem of a melody that will undoubtedly get stuck in your head, whether by choice or not. “The Charity of St. Elizabeth” sounds remarkably like Underoath at times, but that could be partially attributed to the production. Matt Goldman produced this CD nearly identical to Underoath’s They’re Only Chasing Safety, and it shows. Other than that, it’s a great, sweeping song that transforms itself several times and ends in dramatic fashion. “How I Remember You” is a beautiful acoustic song that progresses into soaring guitars accompanied by pleasant vocal harmonies. “Promise Me” kicks the energy back up as the album nears it’s end.

Sullivan’s debut record certainly leaves a lot to be desired. Though there are certain aspects that stand out, they seem to recycle melodies and song structure throughout the entire record. It’s by no means an awful debut, but it just doesn’t achieve anything to make it memorable. The choruses any momentum the songs had, and the record just seems to be constantly dragging its feet. Fans of the nu-screamo wave will really enjoy this record. It’s catchy, the lyrics are decent, and it’s accessibly. But as it stands, Sullivan desperately needs more variation in their songwriting because this is a forgettable release.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 74
02:53 PM on 02/08/06
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
maybe i won't pick it up.
02:55 PM on 02/08/06
shane hennessey
www.itakebandphotos.com
User Info.
i agree. i thought the vocals sucked. i hear they are good live though, they made my friend a fan
02:59 PM on 02/08/06
SLADE775
Still the greatest
User Info.
Terrible Vocals....

The first song on the album is the only good song.
03:10 PM on 02/08/06
The Silencer
the one above all
User Info.
Originally Posted by SLADE775
Terrible Vocals....

The first song on the album is the only good song.
Slade, you like Mae...a lot.
03:12 PM on 02/08/06
BrandFuckingNew
User Info.
amazing band.
amazing release.
go buy it.
scott weber's a tool.
<3.
03:14 PM on 02/08/06
zeketheplmbr
erection selection
User Info.
I've forgotten it already.
03:15 PM on 02/08/06
Criesofthepast7
oh word?
User Info.
great band. i gave this cd a 10+
03:17 PM on 02/08/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
it's hilarious that everyone begs for more negative reviews, then whenever one is posted, the author just gets torn apart. each to their own.
03:23 PM on 02/08/06
moore182
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber
it's hilarious that everyone begs for more negative reviews, then whenever one is posted, the author just gets torn apart. each to their own.
Haha...I was just thinking that.

Good review. I think some of the songs have a bit of staying power.
I still don't know if I'm going to buy it or not.
03:29 PM on 02/08/06
leafsacc
User Info.

I really like this review, i listened to it a bunch of times waiting for it to sound better, but it never did. There are a few good songs at the beginning of the CD that reminded me a little of AFI, and some of the lyrics were clever, but overall it's very forgettable. I do think they have some potential though and i think that future efforts could be a lot better. Don't

Keep writing good reviews like this one Scott.
03:32 PM on 02/08/06
zeketheplmbr
erection selection
User Info.

Nah, I agree with you on this one.
03:44 PM on 02/08/06
domesticyeti
Captain Democracy
User Info.
i thought it was a good review

my band played a show with them and the fold way back in september. the fold was really cool and super nice guys, they even hung out with me and my other guitarist and ate cake. However i do remember Sullivan being kind of stuck up, and not very good overall
03:51 PM on 02/08/06
BrandFuckingNew
User Info.
SULLIVAN DOESNT EAT CAKE WITH RANDOM OPENING BANDS?!?!?
what a bunch of dicks. i'm not buying this album.
03:52 PM on 02/08/06
opentheharbors
User Info.
heh, we played a show with them also in the last few months, and ditto on the not too hot live comment. it looked as if we were the only people left watching them when they finally got to stage. and this was in their/our hometown. :( kinda sad.

thank you for an honest review! 4.7 sounds just about right.

edit: apparently their purevolume labels their hometown as chapel hill. oh well.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums