Username
Password

09:24 PM on 02/11/06 
User Info.
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
Atlanta, GA / Emory...
Male - 28 Years Old
Damiera (www.purevolume.com/damiera) - These Buffalo boys have a pretty cool sound going on, kinda like At the Drive-In meets Coheed and Cambria or something (I'll probably get a lot of shit for comparing a band to ATDI, oh well, bring it on). They're currently recording their debut full length for Tamerlane Recordings with Jason Dezuzio (Coheed and Cambria)...I'm pretty effing stoked.

Hit the Lights (www.myspace.com/hitthelights) - I was fortunate enough to get a few songs from their new album, and they are just about the only things I've been listening to lately (especially in my car). So fucking catchy and fun to sing along to. Hot damn. If you like pop punk, just get ready.

Botch (www.myspace.com/botch) - I've been rockin' out pretty hardcore to We Are the Romans the past few days. They've pretty much inspired all of your and my favorite metalcore/hardcore (whatever the fuck it's called) bands (Norma Jean in particular). Classic stuff.

Apse (www.myspace.com/apse) - Taken from their MySpace "Sounds Like" thing, I'd say this is pretty accurate: "A large and tumbling instrumental seascape. Damaged pop, pounding percussion, reverb-soaked drones, shimmering and interlocking arpeggios." Check out the song "Leer."

Here are Joe from Silent Movie Records' (Hit the Lights, The Weakend) recommendations:
=================================== ===============

Joe from Silent Movie Records (www.silentmovierecords.com) here. As tempting as it is to pimp out the bands on our label and bands that I work with, here are my recommendations - keep in mind that it was pretty hard to pick only five (I think I snuck in a #6) as there are a lot on my mind.

Aside from these bands listed below I'd advise people to check out our bands as well as the fine roster Rob from I Surrender Records (www.isurrenderrecords.com) is building up as well.

Fireworks (www.myspace.com/fireworkshc) - Detroit, MI - Features former members of some great Detroit bands that have disbanded as well as a former touring guitarist for H20. Sure they are the classic group of hardcore kids playing pop-punk songs and singing along to every MxPx song after the show, but how's that for diversity?

Race The Sun (www.purevolume.com/racethesun) - Richmond, VA - Nick from Hit The Lights got me addicted to this band when they were in the talks of touring with them last winter. I still can't get over how amazing the cd is and how often it is in my cd player. Sometimes it makes me want to dig-out the old Fairweather records.

The Consequence (www.purevolume.com/theconsequence) - Roseland, NJ - Addictive pop songs that will make you want to dance and sing along. For fans of Hellogoodbye, The Rocket Summer, and Pop-Music in general. I got into them through Tim in The Audition and haven't stopped listening since. You'd be surprised to know whose heads have been turned by these young kids from New Jersey. Did I mention they opened for Hanson in Atlantic, City? Just keep an eye out...

Blacktop Mourning (www.purevolume.com/blacktopmourning) - Chicago, IL - Think Pop Music in the vein of Simple Plan meets your favorite Pop-Punk band that still has "cred." I'm not afraid to say that I love Simple Plan, but for all of you that are... check out this band to sing along to in public.

The Rushmore Academy (www.purevolume.com/rushmoreacademy) - St. Louis, MO - A hard working band from the Mid-West that deserves all the attention they can get. Another band that incorporates a synth/keyboardist, but they do it well. I've had the privilege of listening to some new rough demos and these kids are shaping up to write an excellent follow up to an already amazing EP.

Anderson (NL) (www.purevolume.com/AndersonNL) - The NETHERLANDS - Nothing too out of the ordinary, but this duo from the Netherlands is extremely hardworking and deserves a listen. Trust me.

PS - Most of these bands have merch so if you like what you hear, feel free to send them your well earned cash in exchange for some cool clothes or check Smartpunk for cd's in stock. Word Son.
09:42 PM on 02/11/06 
User Info.
StartingLine182
Stay What You Are
New York
Male - 27 Years Old
Good call on Race The Sun.
09:45 PM on 02/11/06 
User Info.
JOJOFACE
Awesomer
Highlands Ranch, CO
Male - 26 Years Old
Joe. The Consequence Is Amazing. Thank You So Much For That Rec. :) :) :)
09:46 PM on 02/11/06 
User Info.
chroma23
True Punk Fan
MTA, Jers
Male - 25 Years Old
New hit the lights songs eh?
10:10 PM on 02/11/06 
User Info.
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
Pittsburgh, PA
Male - 26 Years Old
I kinda like Fireworks, I've been jammin' to them the past few weeks.
10:29 PM on 02/11/06 
User Info.
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
Calgary, AB, Canada
Male - 28 Years Old
i have never heard of damiera before now, and i must say i dig them on first listen, so thanks for the rec.
10:45 PM on 02/11/06 
User Info.
njkid54
nice recs. i like to play "break out" by the consequence when i need a little cheering up. catchy as shit.
11:17 PM on 02/11/06 
User Info.
sweetforever
Penn
Male - 27 Years Old
I've been listening to Hit The Lights a lot this week. Catchy stuff
11:19 PM on 02/11/06 
User Info.
thesego211
sacramento
Male - 27 Years Old
when that guy said he wasn't ashamed to say that he likes Simple Plan, he lost any credibility. how can anyone respect reccomendations from a guy who likes a band who has written 14 songs about their dads. Simple Plan sucks and so does he for liking them.
12:17 AM on 02/12/06 
User Info.
HeartLikeAGun27
Sinner and Saint
Buffalo, NY
Female - 28 Years Old
Originally Posted by Rohan Kohli
DamieraThey're currently recording their debut full length for Tamerlane Recordings with Jason Dezuzio (Coheed and Cambria)...I'm pretty effing stoked.

you and me both
01:19 AM on 02/12/06 
User Info.
tambo41187
That was a freebie
Buffalo / Boston...
Male - 27 Years Old
yeah buffalo.....all i have to say
02:46 AM on 02/12/06 
User Info.
Ratherbedead22
BROKEN GLASS
Des Plaines, IL /...
Male - 28 Years Old
do you know where he heard about fireworks? i sent their stuff to dom a few days ago. more people should hear about these guys.
03:06 AM on 02/12/06 
User Info.
Caleb Cattivera
Cupid of Absolutepunk
Originally Posted by thesego211
when that guy said he wasn't ashamed to say that he likes Simple Plan, he lost any credibility. how can anyone respect reccomendations from a guy who likes a band who has written 14 songs about their dads. Simple Plan sucks and so does he for liking them.

i REALLY hope youre kidding...if not you need to get a life.

as for the recs...nice...

esp getting my brothers from the lou in rushmore academy on there...they're recording with matt squire this summer.
03:10 AM on 02/12/06 
User Info.
kazuma_ootaro28
Male - 27 Years Old
I would compare Damiera more to Brazil than ATDI. Still a good band though, as well is Apse.
06:00 AM on 02/12/06 
User Info.
anothernobody
Champions, Champions
Essex, UK
Male - 25 Years Old
Originally Posted by thesego211
Simple Plan sucks and so does he for liking them.

hahahaha waaa waa

Nice recs, been missing the pop punk from recs recently I feel.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos