AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Mike Herrera - Tumbledown Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7
Production 7.25
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.67
Lyrics 6.75
Production 6.33
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 6.83
Reviewer Tilt 3.75
Average: 65%

Mike Herrera - Tumbledown

Reviewed by: fashionshowdown (06/25/09)
Mike HerreraTumbledown
Record Label: End Sounds
Release Date: May 19, 2009

“Let’s drink till we fall down” is the opening line of Mike Herrera’s Tumbledown, complimented by fast acoustic and electric guitars and a wicked snare drum. A modern day country song reminiscent of Johnny Cash and other greats is born in the speakers. Originally I was completely unaware of what to expect from this disc, as I had not heard any of the demos before. I was pleasantly surprised by it and anxiously awaited each track. The closing guitar solo in this opening track gives a good view into the types of songs to follow: ballads about drinking, women, the road, and anything else a man might need.

Herrera does an excellent job on “Butcher of San Antone” to make it feel like a theme song from a Wild West movie. Blood, cheap liquor, and women are subject of this song. It definitely gives the listener a time warp that’s quite enjoyable. The chorus is complimented by Nicole Pike who also has her own solo at the end of the track. She does an excellent job pairing with Herrera’s tones. “I’m Still Here” is yet another song with drinking in it, and Herrera sure does this one justice. “I’m alone but I’m drinking for two” is a line that’s relatable to anyone who’s ever felt the desire to drink away the sorrows (who hasn’t?).

“Came Here to Fight” opens up with quite the catchy line “I came here to drink, and I came here to fight, I’m all out of beer so let’s take it outside.” I really enjoy the guitar solo at the end of the song -- it's classic electric guitar at its finest. This song was an instant theme song for any sort of crazy night of drinking that I may endure. It's followed up by the strong guitars in “Secondhand High” which really brings back memories of Bachman Turner Overdrive's “Taking Care of Business.”

The disc continues with a strong acoustic track titled “Son of a Gun.” Herrera sincerely proclaims “my daddy was a pistol and I’m just a son of a gun.” It is a western ballad of sorts with Herrera showcasing his vocal stylings and heartfelt emotions. Following this heartfelt song is the album closer, “Homeward Bound,” which can easily be seen as an anthem for any touring band that just feels the joy and excitement of seeing loved ones yet again.

This was an album that caught me completely by surprise. I had never heard of the Tumbledown project and really have only heard a couple of MXPX songs, but I liked this album right away. Herrera has a way of making a genre/musical styling that I wouldn’t normally listen to very catchy. In addition to that, the lyrical content is perfect for where my life is. If you’re a 21-year-old I’m sure you can relate to songs about crazy nights of drinking, etc. The more I tried to listen to some other discs while giving this one the time of day, the more I wanted to listen to this disc. Even if it is normally not your type of music style or genre, it’s worth giving a try. The music is wonderfully composed, and Herrera’s vocals pair with the guitars absolutely perfectly. This album rocks like something from the 70’s, which gives it a classic rock feeling, and that, my friends, is a feeling that will carry me right into the weekend.

Recommended If You LikeMXPX, Johnny Cash, Tom T. Hall

Check out Tumbledown on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12.
02:37 AM on 07/01/09
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I hadn't even heard of this. I may well go check this out now
08:19 PM on 07/01/09
boscorelli
destination: beautiful
User Info.
whatever user rated this is an idiot
08:15 AM on 07/02/09
fashionshowdown
You're so money baby!
User Info.
whatever user rated this is an idiot
thanks man! So me enjoying this CD makes me an idiot? I appreciate the support.
10:46 AM on 07/02/09
boscorelli
User Info.
thanks man! So me enjoying this CD makes me an idiot? I appreciate the support.
what??? no i meant the user who put in 1s and 2s for their scores, your review was awesome dude.
11:16 AM on 07/02/09
fashionshowdown
You're so money baby!
User Info.
what??? no i meant the user who put in 1s and 2s for their scores, your review was awesome dude.
my bad man. I'm sorry about that!
06:00 PM on 07/02/09
boscorelli
User Info.
my bad man. I'm sorry about that!
no worries
08:11 PM on 07/08/09
Merkin
A Fine Evening For a Rogue
User Info.
haha that was funny, i might have to check this out though
10:11 PM on 07/29/09
nick19
User Info.
I love this album. Good work man.
04:01 AM on 04/26/10
Stearman77
User Info.
Mike Herra the man is diverse great musician.
11:01 PM on 05/17/10
glcox
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
im a huge MxPx fan, and i was actually kind of upset to hear Mike was doing country. but i gave it a listen simply because i love MxPx and i had to know what it was like, and i really enjoyed it. Definitely worth checking out.
03:51 PM on 04/29/11
ktripi
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I went to see him play an acoustic show last night in Atlanta, and it was absolutely amazing. I love his lyrics, his stage presence, and of course the music. I bought his cd Live From the Basement, it was the best decision I ever made. I cannot stop listening to it. I cannot wait for him to come back, and I will probably even go see him in TN. It is very rare that I get super excited about music, because nothing really stands out for me anymore. He completely stood out. I loved that he allowed the audience to call out requests, including MxPx requests, all night. Best show I've been to in a long time.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS