AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Liam and Me - There's A Difference Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 91%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9.25
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Liam and Me - There's A Difference

Reviewed by: Tony Pascarella (02/19/06)
Liam and Me - There's A Difference
Release Date: February 14th, 2006
Record Label: Unsigned

Liam and Me might just be the best band of 2006 that you have never heard of. On most days, them is fightin’ words, but I hope that after you listen to them, you’ll agree. Hailing from Philadelphia, Liam and Me (vocalist/keyboardist Matt O’Dowd, guitarist Dan Larkin, bassist Kevin McKenzie, and drummer Jon Briks) showcase blisteringly catchy keyboard hooks, ranging vocals, and an indie rock feel distinctly their own on their debut full-length album, There's A Difference. While their influences show through, the band is able to write songs that cannot be pigeonholed into one style.

Every single song comes off like a finely crafted work of art to even the most casual listener, which is an endearing quality of There’s A Difference. While many of the tracks combine similar elements, there is plenty of instrumental and vocal variation to keep them from blending together. Even more importantly, the lyrics are excellent, nay, superb. “Pretender” is probably my least favorite song, but that is a matter of personal taste only. The sharp contrast of near-falsetto vocals and unyielding cymbal crash provide a great dynamic to the song, which has a soft alt-rock feel to it with just enough chaos to make it interesting. The most easily accessible songs are “Pretty Black Dress,” “Take Your Time,” “There’s A Difference,” and “Fast As You Can,” and each one has a unique flair that allows it to stand out from the rest of the pack. Whether it’s the syrupy sweet wailing from O’Dowd (“Take Your Time”), the toe-tapping drumming from Jon Briks (“Say It Out Loud”), or simply the complete package (“Don’t Say A Word”), I guarantee you will find something about There’s A Difference to fall in love with.

I think it’s a complete travesty that Liam and Me remains unsigned, and I hope that someone will read this review and decide to sign them. They’ve got more talent in their pinky fingers than most bands do that have been together for years and currently languish on major label rosters. If Liam and Me ever hits the mainstream airwaves, I can easily see the teenage and early 20s age brackets going absolutely bananas for them. Not only can they appeal musically to intelligent music fans, but also they possess enough radio and sex appeal to make a splash in major media markets. If you like to dance your ass off to catchy, well-written lyrics, then Liam and Me should be your new favorite band. The band’s ridiculously awesome vocals, flawless instrumentals, and memorable songs collectively mean There’s A Difference will undoubtedly be in the Top Albums of 2006 lists of just about everyone who does themselves a favor and checks them out. Don’t get left behind.

Liam and Me is recommended if you like The Cure, Van Halen (the synth aspect), Panic! at the Disco (the vocals are much better, but similar) and any number of post-punk bands that dot the musical landscape over the last 25 years.

Links: Myspace | Purevolume | Official Site | AbsolutExclusive

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21.
07:52 AM on 02/19/06
lusciousmix
User Info.
I'm so glad other people are starting to get into this band. I saw them a little over a year ago when they played in New Jersey with Hellogoodbye and Madison, and have loved them ever since. They have a great live show, their CD(which I've had for a while now) has been in rotation in my car and CD player forever, and on top of that they're great guys who really seem to love what they do. I'm so happy that they're becoming more and more successful, and all I can do is wonder why they aren't "the newest big thing". They completely have the potential and talent to make it and now all their fans can do is sit around and wait for it to happen.
10:03 AM on 02/19/06
GRIFFARD
A meow massages the heart.
User Info.
I love this band!! Yes. anyways, i'm ordering this CD, and I CAN NOT wait until it comes. Thanks to whoever made them an AbsolutExclusive, because otherwise I wouldn't have discovered them.
12:04 PM on 02/19/06
Jason Tate
User Info.
Tony is quickly becoming my favorite reviewer. Great reviews (which I always seem to agree with lately), and they're always too the point and well written.

Thank you for working for us Tony.
12:29 PM on 02/19/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Liam and Me is recommended if you like The Cure

That's awful daring of you to say. I am gonna buy this now. It better sound like them. Hah.
12:43 PM on 02/19/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by GoWaitInTheCar
Liam and Me is recommended if you like The Cure

That's awful daring of you to say. I am gonna buy this now. It better sound like them. Hah.

:) Listen to their myspace/PV first of course; but this album is so great. If they were signed to an indie label or something, I'd find it great, but the fact that they're unsigned makes it even more remarkable. There's A Difference = sexy music.
02:11 PM on 02/19/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Originally Posted by Tony Pascarella
:) Listen to their myspace/PV first of course; but this album is so great. If they were signed to an indie label or something, I'd find it great, but the fact that they're unsigned makes it even more remarkable. There's A Difference = sexy music.

I am listening to them right now. I'm still unsure what I think. I mean, they are pretty good, but nothing like The Cure.

It's cool that ap reviews cds no one has heard of, and kinda hypes them up. If you thought that was a sarcastic comment it wasn't. It's real cool.
02:18 PM on 02/19/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Originally Posted by GoWaitInTheCar
I am listening to them right now. I'm still unsure what I think. I mean, they are pretty good, but nothing like The Cure.

It's cool that ap reviews cds no one has heard of, and kinda hypes them up. If you thought that was a sarcastic comment it wasn't. It's real cool.

I still plan on buying this.
02:39 PM on 02/19/06
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
Originally Posted by Jason Tate
Tony is quickly becoming my favorite reviewer. Great reviews (which I always seem to agree with lately), and they're always too the point and well written.

Tony, you should feel proud.
02:40 PM on 02/19/06
zeketheplmbr
#pleasure
User Info.
I like this band alot. Great debut.
02:45 PM on 02/19/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by Mitch2742
Tony, you should feel proud.

No doubt. I was practically beaming when I read that.

Thanks, Jason.
06:17 PM on 02/19/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
cool band, never even heard of them. When I saw the name of the post, i was thinking "a clever title for an oasis post?" but im glad i clicked, this stuff is pretty good. I dont know about buying it yet, but it is very strange to me that this band is not signed.
09:06 PM on 02/19/06
elvis
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The Killers
11:32 PM on 02/19/06
Ryan Imhof
Registered Member
User Info.
Originally Posted by Jason Tate

Same here.
11:21 AM on 02/20/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by Ryan Imhof
Same here.

Thanks, Ryan! :)
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music