Password

Album Review

The Prize Fight - The Process EP Album Cover

The Prize Fight - The Process EP

Reviewed by
The Prize Fight - The Process EP
Release Date: March 7, 2006
Record Label: TDR Records

The Prize Fight’s debut EP, Words Don’t Mean Anything came out in 2003 on ECA Records, and helped the band’s unique “pop-punk with horns” dynamic catch on both in the US as well as overseas on the strength of just five songs. In the time since then, the band has dropped the horns and acquired a much more emo sound reminiscent of The Early November, and they have signed with TDR Records, which has previously worked with Punchline (now with Fueled By Ramen) and Over It (now with Virgin Records). TDR has released their second EP, titled The Process and is betting on big things from The Prize Fight.

The band’s six-song EP this time around has a distinct emo styling to it, which is both a benefit and at times a hinderance. There aren’t enough times where the band really can break out of the cookie-cutter shell that they seem to be yearning to progress from. I mentioned the similarity to The Early November, and it is especially true on the vocals; speed up TEN a little bit, add some more instrumental aggression and a little bit more pop to the hooks, and you have The Prize Fight’s The Process EP. The biggest problem that I have with this EP is that several of the songs go on for too long and fail to keep the listeners captivated throughout. That’s not to say they all do this, but the first two songs (“This Apartment” and “Lesson #6, Learning to Let Go”) drag on for nearly a minute too long each, and it brings down the quality of the music in this reviewer’s humble opinion. “Now or Never” is simply put, great. Sure, it’s not transcendental, but it’s about as pop-punk as The Prize Fight gets, and you’ll find the chorus and the majority of the verses ingrained in your mind hours after you turn the CD off. “The Red Light District” has a summer sound to it with upbeat vocals, easy-flowing riffs, and a style similar to that of Jimmy Eat World. While it clocks in at over 6 minutes, it’s definitely one of the strongest songs on the EP.

Don’t expect the same sound that The Prize Fight put out back in ’03, because you may be disappointed. Instead, you should check out this EP for the solid vocals, sometimes thrashing instrumentals, and raw emotion. It’s not going to blow you away, but this EP is above the curve for sure. If you enjoy the emo genre, then The Prize Fight is probably right up your alley.

The Prize Fight is recommended if you like The Early November, Jimmy Eat World, Cartel, or Days Away.

Buy The Prize Fight's The Process EP on iTunes

Links: Myspace | Purevolume | Official Site | AbsolutExclusive
This review is a user submitted review from Tony Pascarella. You can see all of Tony Pascarella's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
09:59 AM on 02/20/06
michaelwinters
brown and pink
User Info.
i have been a prizefight fan since WAYYYY back in the day. I like this new EP but nothing can match "The Trainwreck".
10:02 AM on 02/20/06
Scuba Chris
...has a gambling problem
User Info.
I have really loved the Prize Fight since the demo days. I always enjoyed the pop-punk with horns aspect. I am not totally sure what to expect but I anxiously await the new EP and hope that it rocks pretty hard.
10:16 AM on 02/20/06
mat1419
how's this for intense?
User Info.
yeah, i loved the demos way back when too. i've seen this band more times than i have fingers or toes, so i'm really just happy they're still putting out music. hopefully this will lead to progression and eventually carve out their place in an overcrowded scene that's full of bands far less deserving as they are.
11:01 AM on 02/20/06
Gabe Gross
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yeah i was born with the whole band....we shared wombs
11:24 AM on 02/20/06
1000shadesofred
Period Blood Sandwich
User Info.
Originally Posted by michaelwinters
i have been a prizefight fan since WAYYYY back in the day. I like this new EP but nothing can match "The Trainwreck".

amen brotha
01:54 PM on 02/20/06
akkie
User Info.
The Prize Fight can never disappoint me. "The Trainwreck" is un-topable, but I still have the highest of expectations for this EP.
03:24 PM on 02/20/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by akkie
The Prize Fight can never disappoint me. "The Trainwreck" is un-topable, but I still have the highest of expectations for this EP.

You might be let down a bit by this. It's good, but not as good as they could be.
05:48 PM on 02/20/06
starcrossdlovex
Vicky.
User Info.
I miss the horns =[
I'm sure this EP's gonna be good, but it's not the same without the horns. Oh well, I'll still give it a listen.
09:08 PM on 02/20/06
uhh beer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
it won't be as fun live without the horns.

but now or never is still a good ass song.
09:22 PM on 02/20/06
Garett Press
User Info.
Right on Tony!

It's official... I have a crush on you
04:29 PM on 03/03/06
twstedroads
User Info.
yeah i've been a fan of them for sometime and YES THE TRAINWRECK KICKS MY MOM RIGHT IN THE FACE, but im still excited something new is finally out. i'm listening to the cd right now, just got it in the mail. i agree with everyone else. this is really good fun music, but i know they couldve done better. no complaints though, i still love it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos