AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
 
Hopeless Records News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Hopeless Records Looking For Interns

Posted by - 05:36 PM on 02/23/06
Hopeless Records is looking for some interns. If you are interested and live in the Southern California area, this could be for you.
InfoIntern positions are available now. Want to learn about the business and do more than just stuff shit into envelopes..although you will do that too?

You must live in the Southern California area (Van Nuys is where we are). We require you to come in for at least 12 hours a week (2-3 days) for 3 months. Perks include tickets to shows, free copies of new releases, gaining a huge
head start in the music industry. You do not need to be in school although we do offer school credit if you need it.

To apply send a brief description about yourself and why you want to intern at Hopeless to info@hopelessrecords.com. Write intern in the subject line. Be sure to tell us what area of the business you are interested in.

We have positions available in the following:

Publicity- Learn how to get the word out about new music. Directly dealing with major magazines, websites and television shows.

Retail Marketing- Is there some magic way that records get into stores? No its called Retail marketing and it is the biggest part of the music business. Work with our retail team to make sure fans can find the records they want- need to know: Microsoft office and be able to talk on the phone.

New Media/ Graphics- Myspace page updates, creating banners, buttons, web links etc. Assorted graphic work including assisting our designer in the creation of advertising and promotional materials. -Need to Know: HTML,
Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, and basic principles of design.

Operations/ Business development- Assistance of President and General manager in business development issues, and company organization. Also deal with shipping and receiving and the logistics of running a business.
 
Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
05:39 PM on 02/23/06
#2
Ryan Imhof
Registered Member
Offline
User Info.
Ryan Imhof's Avatar
Originally Posted by kk_slider
God I'd love to do something like this. Maybe for a different label. But it'd still be pretty cool.
Same here. I wish stuff like this was available in NJ.
06:13 PM on 02/23/06
#3
FUNLIKEAGUN
Registered User
Offline
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hopeless is cool but i heard G makes interns dress up in clown costumes and sing to the office..not sure if i would work there
06:37 PM on 02/23/06
#4
Josh818
Josh Hay / Nokia Music
Offline
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I heard G makes them sing opera
06:58 PM on 02/23/06
#5
Spud Crowley
meter maids eat their young.
Offline
User Info.
Spud Crowley's Avatar
Originally Posted by Ryan Imhof
Same here. I wish stuff like this was available in NJ.

I am screaming the exact same thing aloud! Why can't great labels be looking for interns in NJ?
07:08 PM on 02/23/06
#6
zizou1790
City of Champions
Offline
User Info.
zizou1790's Avatar
yeah i would love doing that
07:15 PM on 02/23/06
#7
GreenJellyBean
i'm a girl.
Offline
User Info.
GreenJellyBean's Avatar
that's what i want to do. really bad.
07:54 PM on 02/23/06
#8
whitelines
73-9
Offline
User Info.
whitelines's Avatar
Originally Posted by Spud Crowley
I am screaming the exact same thing aloud! Why can't great labels be looking for interns in NJ?

Yeah!! I'm from jersey it'd be sweet to have something like that around here.
08:26 PM on 02/23/06
#9
rufiocardtime
Offline
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If you guys want to actually work FOR a label, then being an intern is a good thing. But if you just want a job around music...to learn and stuff, interning for a label sucks. You spend at least 6 months sucking dick for free. How do you think some of these labels stay afloat? They have free labor and a few real employees. The whole situation is kinda crappy.

There's better, more effective ways to get into the industry and learn your stuff, if that's what you really want.
09:40 PM on 02/23/06
Josh818
Josh Hay / Nokia Music
Offline
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That might be with other labels. Its not true with Hopeless, if you intern there you will learn things.

Originally Posted by rufiocardtime
If you guys want to actually work FOR a label, then being an intern is a good thing. But if you just want a job around music...to learn and stuff, interning for a label sucks. You spend at least 6 months sucking dick for free. How do you think some of these labels stay afloat? They have free labor and a few real employees. The whole situation is kinda crappy.

There's better, more effective ways to get into the industry and learn your stuff, if that's what you really want.
10:53 PM on 02/23/06
rufiocardtime
Offline
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by Josh818
That might be with other labels. Its not true with Hopeless, if you intern there you will learn things.

I'm not saying you wouldn't learn anything. I'm just saying, I think there's better solutions to get what you want than by interning. There's better ways to learn.
12:06 AM on 02/24/06
Valued at Zero
Monkey in a Cage
Offline
User Info.
Valued at Zero's Avatar
i would love to work for a record label like hopeless.

i've had an idea for quite some time now to start my own label. i'm actually researching the music industry and all this other shit..
01:14 AM on 02/24/06
Lemieux66
Backlit
Offline
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by rufiocardtime
I'm not saying you wouldn't learn anything. I'm just saying, I think there's better solutions to get what you want than by interning. There's better ways to learn.


Given my experiences, I'm going to completely disagree with you.

If you want to work for a label, quit complaining that there are none around you. Get a job, second, or third. Save money. Make friends in LA. Move there and fucking make it happen. Sitting around and wishing wont get you anywhere.
07:03 AM on 02/24/06
Josh818
Josh Hay / Nokia Music
Offline
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by rufiocardtime
I'm not saying you wouldn't learn anything. I'm just saying, I think there's better solutions to get what you want than by interning. There's better ways to learn.

I have to disagree. To get in the industry you need to start to make connections. Interning for a label helps you do that.
10:33 AM on 02/24/06
rufiocardtime
Offline
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by Lemieux66
Given my experiences, I'm going to completely disagree with you.

If you want to work for a label, quit complaining that there are none around you. Get a job, second, or third. Save money. Make friends in LA. Move there and fucking make it happen. Sitting around and wishing wont get you anywhere.

Was that in reference to me?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos
HIDDEN TREASURES
AbsolutePunk Podcast
Free Music
Sports Forum
Technology Forum
Recommendations
INFORMATION
Advertising
Contact Us
Copyright Policy
Terms of Service
Privacy Policy
FOLLOW
Twitter | Facebook | RSS
PropertyOfZack
UnderTheGun
Purevolume
Chorus.fm | @jason_tate