AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Therefore I Am - The Sound of Human Lives Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9.25
Production 9.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.88
Musicianship 7.63
Lyrics 8.31
Production 6.56
Creativity 6.19
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.81
Average: 72%
Inside AP.net

Therefore I Am - The Sound of Human Lives

Reviewed by: Petzl (07/10/09)
Therefore I Am - The Sound of Human Lives
Record Label: Equal Vision
Release Date: June 23, 2009

There are some pretty famous New England bands around, but when showing someone Therefore I Am for the first time, I get the "Why the hell haven't I heard of this band before?" look. The Sound of Human Lives demands to be heard and establishes Therefore I Am's place in the post-hardcore genre.

Therefore I Am's first full length The Sound of Human Lives is a kick in the balls, in a good way. Produced by Mike Poorman in Providence, Rhode Island, this album wastes no time getting to the point -- there is no intro, and they jump right into "Death By Fire" which sets the tone for the album. The Sound of Human Lives is much more aggressive than the band's previous release, Escape. "Eleven, Seventeen", "Splinters", and "My Father The Fatalist" do not falter and carry the aggression mid-way into the album.

"For The Sake of Skin" has a very Escape-ish sound to it, so long time fans will find solace in this track. What Therefore I Am really shove in your face is their ability to create lyrics that are dense and follow the central theme established by the title. What does human life sound like? It's loud, it's in your face, and it's harsh. Alex Correia (lead vocals) makes it particularly clear:

"I remember your hands at the funeral home
So cold and vacant
Just like the shadows where you lived alone"
-"It's No Wonder Why"

The title track, "The Sound of Human Lives" is an instrumental piece, which serves as an interlude between the softer, more melodic "It's No Wonder Why" and "I Am Only An Island," which picks it right back up again with some brutal drumming and heavy guitar riffs. The songs following the title track tie Therefore I Am's melodic skills with their hardcore riffs. "Big Blue" certainly stands out by showcasing this ability, while delivering lyrics that hit home hard.

"A Face in the Clouds" introduces "No Face in the Crowd," where Travis Alexander's guitar and Brian Marquis's backing vocals dominate. This finally brings us to the album closer, "You Leave," a song that, after breaking you down repeatedly, will put the final nail in the coffin.

"And then you leave
Just like God when he
Abandoned all of us
With the punishment of love"
-"You Leave"

This is not a "happy" album by any standards. This is real. This is life. It's The Sound of Human Lives.

Recommended If You LikeGlassJAw, Thrice, The Receiving End of Sirens

http://www.myspace.com/thereforeiam

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
08:58 PM on 07/15/09
xlife2lifelessx
Whalestep?
User Info.
This review absolutely nails it.
Great job. I love this CD. I would have to agree with you on the creativity part though, some parts were exceptional, others were so-so. Overall a great CD and a great review.
09:04 PM on 07/15/09
thedondeluge
We are Beggars all.
User Info.
I think the lyrics for that particular part of "You Leave" are

"and then you leave......."
09:04 PM on 07/15/09
thedondeluge
We are Beggars all.
User Info.
also, one of my favorite releases of the year. I met the band at warped tour and they were awesome dudes.
10:02 AM on 07/16/09
nandersen87
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i think this is an amazing album. great review. amazing band.
07:05 PM on 07/16/09
chelseaxsmilexD
AP.net's official punching bag
User Info.
Love
09:37 PM on 07/16/09
AMackChuck
I am...Bakerguy
User Info.
Great album, it didn't live up to what I was hoping it would be, still good though.
05:10 AM on 07/17/09
bestofmoss
core
User Info.
Great album, it didn't live up to what I was hoping it would be, still good though.
I agree.
I'm was a little bummed to hear the more scream-y vocals...but maybe I just need to give it more time.
06:54 AM on 07/17/09
thedrewman998
I'm raging inside Daisy.
User Info.
hmm...
i loved the shit out of escape and saw them live a bunch, but to be honest i didn't pick up the new cd because i just didn't like the more hardcore/screamy sound.
after this review i might go check it out though....
10:06 AM on 07/17/09
AMackChuck
I am...Bakerguy
User Info.
Yeah man you totally should, there are some great escape-esque songs on it. It's definetly a grower
07:18 PM on 07/17/09
Petzl
LETS GET A (MARIO) PARTY STARTED!
User Info.
Thanks a lot for the kind words, this was my first review ever and I think choosing a local favorite was a good choice. Enjoy the album and check them out live for sure.
07:22 PM on 07/17/09
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
I also was thrown off with all the screaming on the album, I still might pick it up. Splinters and "I Am Only An Island" are great.

Good review, it's short but summarizes the album really well, and I have an idea of how it sounds.
08:39 PM on 07/17/09
Petzl
LETS GET A (MARIO) PARTY STARTED!
User Info.
I think the lyrics for that particular part of "You Leave" are

"and then you leave......."
Yeah you are right. I was trying to do the best I could just from listening haha.

What I really enjoy about this album are the lyrics and the delivery of them. They are extremely relate-able and I always find songs about death sort of questionable...but Therefore I Am definitely handled it skillfully and they just hit you so hard.
12:30 AM on 07/18/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
I should check this band out again. I haven't listened to them for ages.
09:03 AM on 07/20/09
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
Great review.
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music