AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
October Fall - A Season In hell Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

October Fall - A Season In hell

Reviewed by: basketcase_006 (03/01/06)
October Fall are the newest offering from the Fueled By Ramen/Decaydence repetoire, assaulting your ears with their blend of power pop and piano driven emo.

I first heard these guys on their "4 Songs Sampler", which included a few songs from this album. The sampler certainly whet my appetite, and the album did not disappoint. The first track on the album, 'Second Chances' features Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy fame, however having listened to the demo version without Patrick (which I preferred), this guest spot gives me the feeling that it's just been tacked on the end as more of a name drop than anything else.

These guys are gifted in crafting powerful emo punk tunes, whilst also being able to pull off the slower ballads and piano driven numbers. On the subject of the piano, this band are no Something Corporate, they're a little more edge and a little less cheese - if that makes any sense. Track 2, 'Caught In The Rain' is catchy as hell, it'll get you dancing around your bedroom in no time, and it'll be stuck in your head all day. This can't be a bad thing, and it's a standout track on the album. Track 3 features Hayley Williams of Paramore and it seemed to me to have an air of a tune from a Disney movie about it for some reason. Take a listen and tell me I'm wrong. It's a power ballad duet and both vocalists have very complimentary voices, making for an enjoyable track.

The album continues with a blend of tracks, from slower ballads with great vocal range (see 'Tongue Tied') to more technical effect-ridden tracks (see 'Keep It Comin' and 'Here We Go From The Top'). Having made the claim of this album containing technical tracks, I better back it up, and to be honest the instrumentals on this album are not incredible. When I say technical, I mean in comparison to some of the other tracks on this album, not to some of October Fall's contemporary's offerings. The guitar work is often repetitive, and is certainly not mind-blowing - however in this case it's not a bad thing. These guys are a pop punk band. They play pop punk. If you expect incredible musicianship, you've picked up the wrong album. This is an album you pick up to feel good, maybe have a little dance, despite the slower tracks. It does exactly what it says on the tin. Lyrically speaking, this is fairly run-of-the-mill - nothing particularly special but you don't buy this album for it's lyrics. Production is first rate, sound quality is excellent and there is a varied use of effects throughout.

Overall, the album is a lot of fun. There's only one or two tracks that I was tempted to skip ('A Part of Me' grew tired pretty fast), but in general the album is full of catchy hooks, soaring vocals and generally everything you'd want from a Fueled By Ramen release. I can't finish this review without mentioning the final track - 'If We're All Alone, Aren't We In This Together?'. The song starts off fairly average but it really picks up to a climactic end. Whatever you do, listen to the entire song.

The album is out now, and I recommend you pick it up. Fans of Cartel, Fall Out Boy, The Academy Is... etc will certainly not regret it. Watch out for this band, the kids are gonna lap it up.

Track List

1. Second Chances (featuring Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy)
2. Caught In The Rain
3. Keep Dreaming Upside Down (featuring Hayley Williams of Paramore)
4. Walking
5. It Was Summer... (Baby Steps)
6. Tongue Tied
7. Hey Hey
8. Here We Go From The Top
9. Keep It Comin'
10. A Part of Me
11. If We're All Alone, Aren't We In This Together?

Standout Tracks: 'Caught In The Rain', 'Here We Go From The Top', 'Keep It Comin'', 'If We're All Alone, Aren't We In This Together?'

Rob Taylor

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
06:22 PM on 05/02/06
Dan CiTi
To Let The World Be
User Info.
Damn Hayley's voice has gotten even better.
07:11 PM on 05/02/06
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
This band blows.

And I never say that about bands I dislike (except for Aiden).
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version