AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
So They Say - Antidote for Irony Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 9.42
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net

So They Say - Antidote for Irony

Reviewed by: Gabe Gross (03/03/06)
So They Say - Antidote for Irony
Release Date: March 7th, 2006
Record Label: Fearless

From what the album exhibits, So They Say confirm that they can contend with the powerful rock in the scene. Though its not overwhelmingly apparent Antidote of Irony could very well cause an addictive tendency--it screams, it breathes, it bleeds. Heavy guitar riffs acts as the foundation to Antidote for Irony, while delicate drumming and fragile, swinging vocals support a flexible composition.

I believe addiction plays a significant role in how we associate our musical taste to be pleasant. This is one of those addicting albums too. So They Say--Joseph Hamilton (guitar and vocals), Justin Hanson (drums), David Schroeder (vocals and guitar), Nick Walters (guitar) Joe Hoermann (bass)--cultivate the alt-rock sound into one that gains attention through the additives of its replayability.

Through the meat and potatoes of Antidote, I was fairly pleased to find no distractions or discomfort in the way each song moved on from each other. “In Loving Memory” sets off the album; a solid alt-rock anthem the cultivates into an outstanding first song on the album. More often than not, the first song doesn’t display a relevant potential for a band’s performance on the album, whereas “In Loving Memory” does. Following that is STS’s title track which brings screaming authority with a sing-along chorus where live crowds will be echoing “…with words that cut like knives!” Just as Hawthorne Heights has a niche for writing lyrics for the bleeding human spirit, So They Say have the antidote for captivating choruses that sweep verses from their heavier chords. In competition with one another “Good-Bye” and “In Essence We Are Falling” were close contenders for my favorite song on Antidote for Irony. While “Good-Bye” rang to be an obvious choice with its catchy chorus and tendencies to find you singing along, I found that “In Essence We Are Falling” to be my winner. Having strong guitars reminiscent of Alexisonfire, David Schroeder brings the listener back to earth.

While the album provides a strong basis for their musicianship, the last few tracks leave a trail of inconsistencies that don’t match the rest of the Antidote for Irony. Now I don’t believe this is a negative thing, because Antidote for Irony gives a sense of yearning without the unsettling and bitter rock and roll feeling of generic alt-rock culture. This is most evident in the final song “The Beautiful Plan”, which begins with a guitar, that juices chards out and churns divine melodies on vocals.

My hopes for a follow-up album is that percussions would play a larger role in each song. While the drumming wasn’t horrible, the potential is there to make it stand out more. I don’t believe production can be blamed for that. Matt Squire did a elegant job of taking STS’s energy and displaying it without gratifying it to a point where we could see they weren’t overcompensating for a bad live show. While I have yet to see STS on a stage, I would put money on them impressing a large crowd. So They Say have complete focus throughout all of Antidote for Irony which ultimate leads to a solid debut for the St. Louis quintet.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36.
05:18 PM on 03/03/06
Katie Schmitz
OMGZ SKWRL!
User Info.
thanks, i was curious about this album; i'm going to pick it up :)
05:22 PM on 03/03/06
[Mike]
making waves.
User Info.
I will not argue one bit with the replayability of this CD, I can't stop listening to it.
05:25 PM on 03/03/06
Mike Kraft
It'll get you drunk!
User Info.
Originally Posted by [Mike]
I will not argue one bit with the replayability of this CD, I can't stop listening to it.
Same here. I've been listening non-stop to it since I got it.
05:28 PM on 03/03/06
roxy
Yeah we really got lucky
User Info.
i only have a few songs from the sampler and like you said its addictive. i saw them live a few weeks ago and i have been anticipating this album because their set was just that good.
06:30 PM on 03/03/06
Caleb Cattivera
Cupid of Absolutepunk
User Info.
i can guarantee you their live show is one of the most entergetic around.

ive been telling people on this site about this band for well over a year, i think they're here to stay.
08:39 PM on 03/03/06
CorporateFish
Viva la Weez
User Info.
They have a solid live show.
08:39 PM on 03/03/06
jdawg09
Kash
User Info.
I thought this CD was very boring and I haven't listened to it after the first time I heard it....maybe ill take your advice and listen again....but I didnt think it was anything special
09:10 PM on 03/03/06
emoishardcore
emoishardcore
User Info.
like their first ep, the music (i think) is pretty decent, but like too many other bands (wester and halfwayhome come to mind) the lyrics just never match up to the hard riffs.
09:23 PM on 03/03/06
ishotthepilot
black&blue or gold?
User Info.
weird, their drummer seemed a fairly strong presence live. a verrry nice show, it made me smile to see the way they totally won the crowd over even though it seemed like90% of the kids were unfamiliar with them.
which is part of the reason why i bought their EP and i'll have to check this out, i think theyre a band to believe in. :thumbsup:
09:35 PM on 03/03/06
itsmerobb
kiss me you fool
User Info.
Good times.
09:51 PM on 03/03/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by Caleb Cattivera
i can guarantee you their live show is one of the most entergetic around.

ive been telling people on this site about this band for well over a year, i think they're here to stay.
I agree but the album does not do their live show anything close to justice. Their live show is crazy energetic, but the album is way too clean for me.
10:19 PM on 03/03/06
JOJOFACE
Awesomer
User Info.
That was a well written review. :)
11:26 PM on 03/03/06
IAPAI
User Info.
Originally Posted by JOJOFACE
That was a well written review. :)

I disagree. I think it wasn't a good review at all. Although it conveyed the emotion that the reviewer felt when listening to the album it hardly was a "good read".
11:30 PM on 03/03/06
KnoWs My NaMe
is just lunch for the sky
User Info.
Originally Posted by emoishardcore
like their first ep, the music (i think) is pretty decent, but like too many other bands (wester and halfwayhome come to mind) the lyrics just never match up to the hard riffs.

what is halfwayhome doing these days anyway?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests