AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.13
Musicianship 8.23
Lyrics 8.43
Production 8.13
Creativity 8.15
Lasting Value 8.28
Reviewer Tilt 7.78
Average: 82%
Inside AP.net

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What...

Reviewed by: Greg Dona (03/05/06)
It comes as very little surprise that the Arctic Monkeys are sweeping music fans in the United States off their feet in the thickest of droves. Yet another band formed in the wake of the Strokes, British persons embraced the group’s early released tracks floating about the internet. Domino Records allowed for the continued flow of the songs about the net; such was a strategy that allowed for undying hype by music hipsters to lay a firm fan base foundation for the band.

Arctic Monkeys look to follow fellow European indie stars Franz Ferdinand into the heart of the American mainstream with their release Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not, minus a little bit of poppy, danceable bass lines and with a bit more grind to the guitars. That is not to say that the group won’t shake your hips a bit, especially since their second track on the debut full length is titled “I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor.” Whereas many English groups use endearing British accents to mesmerize audiophiles, Arctic Monkeys perfect the hinting nasal Northeastern wail executed by so many indie bands of late with only the slightest European twinge. They pull this off with an incredible amount of success, as vocals are a strong point of the album. Most tracks alone are not individually noteworthy, but rather impressive as a collection; each piece from the opening “The View from the Afternoon” through the sixth song “Still Take You Home” is a more or less cookie cutter track showcasing relatively neat guitars chopping about somewhat repetitively, a hooking bass line, and ambling vocals. “Riot Van” slows things down and manages to represent the first track that truly distinguishes itself from the rest of the album, finally lifting the listener from the trance cast over their minds for the previous six songs. The rest of the album follows in a highly comparable manner, easing fans into that unconscious state of appreciation that comes with the simplest, least thought provoking of excellent albums.

Differentiating from their musical peers is not a strong suit of Arctic Monkeys. On Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not, the main non-derivative part of the group’s art are the lyrics. Angst-filled and juvenile, the words cried by the group’s front man are borderline emo in message. Wandering from girls to cops and fakes to vampires, the lyrics are less immature than they are unfocused. Still, such detracts little from an otherwise solid disc.

With Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not Arctic Monkeys uncover very little unexplored ground. Rather, they regurgitate many different influences in the most impressive of manners, piecing together bits and pieces of similar styles to create the ultra sound of British indie. And this is why they will soon be huge in America too.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40
03:29 PM on 03/05/06
Angsty
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this cd is so overrated. proof that the british like shitty music.
03:35 PM on 03/05/06
etwiels
User Info.
Originally Posted by Angsty
this cd is so overrated. proof that the british like shitty music.

Says the dude who is supposedly signed to Victroy
03:36 PM on 03/05/06
Angsty
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
oh, yeah. fuck, this band is awesome.
03:54 PM on 03/05/06
fugitive_alien
Le Man
User Info.
meh
04:09 PM on 03/05/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I do not understand the fascination at all. Nothing fucking special to me.
04:19 PM on 03/05/06
matt_rawlings
User Info.
I love this cd and I think the lyrics are original and really funny. Growing up in England, I can relate to alot.
04:29 PM on 03/05/06
You Vandal
What she order? Fish filet.
User Info.
I couldn't get into it at all.
04:40 PM on 03/05/06
Ladron
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Its a fun album, thats it. I don't think I'll be listening to it for the rest of the year.
04:51 PM on 03/05/06
domesticyeti
Captain Democracy
User Info.
i thought they were good, but not amazing. Very overrated
04:59 PM on 03/05/06
fire on my lips
COME ON YOU SPURS
User Info.
Originally Posted by matt_rawlings
I love this cd and I think the lyrics are original and really funny. Growing up in England, I can relate to alot.
I don't think the lyrics are totally originally, they reminded me a lot of the streets. I like how the songs were fun and easily enjoyable. I considered 'Riot Van ' to be the best track on the album, head and shoulders above the rest. I'm pretty pissed i wasn't able to get tickets to their NYC show, but hopefully they won't be Franz Ferdinand huge the next time their in America.
Right now this is my CD of the year, but that isn't saying much considering next to nothing has come out yet.
05:18 PM on 03/05/06
leafsacc
User Info.
I listened to this for the first time today, it's a fun album, i think I'll listen to it a lot. Good review.
05:56 PM on 03/05/06
Greg Dona
N/A
User Info.
Originally Posted by leafsacc
I listened to this for the first time today, it's a fun album, i think I'll listen to it a lot. Good review.
That's how I feel. It's very fun, and thus at least worth a few spins here and there. Glad ya liked the review.
06:02 PM on 03/05/06
andy_187
User Info.
i hate this band...
overrated
06:03 PM on 03/05/06
LilRyan732
Token Blackie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I bet that you looked good on the dance floor.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums