AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Eleventh He Reaches London - Hollow Be My Name Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 91%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Eleventh He Reaches London - Hollow Be My Name

Reviewed by: bolgy99 (07/17/09)
Eleventh He Reaches London - Hollow Be My Name
Record Label: Good Cop Bad Cop
Release Date: March 28, 2009

Rising from the secluded city of Perth, Australia, Eleventh He Reaches London are breaking all the rules with their first full length album, Hollow Be My Name. After releasing their stunning debut The Good Fight For Harmony in 2005, they decided to delve deeper into experimentation, taking their loud, distorted blend of post-rock and screamo to new heights, breaking the shackles of genre that often restrain bands. Hollow Be My Name doesnít need to be classified; it stands alone as an original piece of thought-provoking art.

Hollow Be My Name points the finger at figures of power, throwing blame at the government, God, and the father figure for the protagonistís desolate, depressing life. The title track kicks off the one-hour onslaught of anger and misery, a slow drum beat setting the pace. Vocals begin as almost spoken word, but as the song picks up, the sombre voices break into a definite rhythm. The song continues to build as the vocals turn to anger, and lines are filled with loathing, ďIím allowed to curse him/if heís the one that built me/Iím allowed to use his fucking name in vain.Ē

The basic structure of the title track is followed throughout most of the album, rising and falling like the sighs of impatient men trying to vent their frustrations to the listener. However, this seems to be the only dormant aspect of an ever changing sound, with each track exhibiting its individuality, its own worth, and the vast array of influences which helped create this unique album.

The vocals are a real standout throughout the album, particularly the range that is delivered throughout the album, from guttural screaming, spoken word, and the rhythmic wavering vocals resembling the likes of Modest Mouseís Isaac Brock, such as those in "Toorali." Not only the vocals, but the lyrics are outstanding. Eleventh He Reaches London simply donít hold back. If they have something to say, itís been said in this album, without mercy or a second thought.

After listening to the whole album, thinking each song was going to be the peak of the album, I noticed it never fell away. There is an intensity delivered through the slow, droning guitars and unorthodox vocals of Ian Lenton. Instead, the epic closer ĎFor the Commonwealth and the Queení becomes one of the most memorable songs Iíve ever heard, and is probably the main reason I listen to this album repetitively. It escalates to a chaotic scene of screams, thrashing guitars, unrelenting bass and pounding drums, only to end with a beautiful post-rock style anticlimax as the instruments drop off, leaving the speakers empty and the listener reflecting on what just breached their ears.

From start to finish, Hollow Be My Name is a near infallible work of art. Itís thought-provoking, unique, and will hold the test of time, as although several of the songs make clear references to the past, its meaning is still relevant now. It's albums like this that can open your eyes to what music should be: passionate, creative, and ever progressing.

Recommended If You LikeScreamo, Post-Rock

myspace.com/eleventhhereacheslondon

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
08:57 PM on 07/24/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
these guys are friends with sleepmakeswaves i believe? i wasn't enthralled with their myspace, but maybe i should try again. Good review
03:39 PM on 07/25/09
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
these guys are friends with sleepmakeswaves i believe? i wasn't enthralled with their myspace, but maybe i should try again. Good review
I would assume so. The bassist is also in Tangled Thoughts of Leaving, who released the split with sleepmakeswaves which you reviewed. I really got into their older EP first, it was more of a post-hardcore release, but this one grows pretty quick. I'm not sure what's up on their myspace, but definitely give it another crack.
09:40 PM on 07/25/09
TheBaroness
User Info.
So stoked to see this reviewed. Awesome album, one of the year's best, and a fantastic progression from The Good Fight for Harmony IMO.
09:33 PM on 07/28/09
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
Edited.. The Good Fight for Harmony was a full length, and I'm a retard.
05:12 AM on 08/18/09
perfectstranger
Long live ennui on me
User Info.
pretty good review. pretty amazing album. brilliant band.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests