AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Street Sweeper Social Club - Street Sweeper Social Club Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 4
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 1.75
Production 7.75
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.5
Reviewer Tilt 1.5
Final Verdict: 32%
Member Ratings
Vocals 3.63
Musicianship 4
Lyrics 3.13
Production 4.25
Creativity 3.5
Lasting Value 3.13
Reviewer Tilt 3.63
Average: 36%

Street Sweeper Social Club - Street Sweeper Social Club

Reviewed by: OKComputer1016 (07/17/09)
Street Sweeper Social ClubStreet Sweeper Social Club
Record Label: SSSC
Release Date: June 16, 2009

Blame people like me who heard the Nightwatchman and demanded that Tom Morello rock again. Really, this disaster is our faults. Whether it was the fan response to his roots-folk meanderings or whether he got bored himself is unknown, but somewhere at some point for some reason, Morello decided that what he really needed to do was to travel back to the days of rap rock. Hell, Limp Bizkit is reuniting, so why not? Besides, with Britney Spears on the airwaves again and with America still pretty messed up not all that much has changed since Rage broke up.

Simply put, this is one of the most obvious and shameful grabs for nostalgia in recent rock history. Morello knew that putting together a new Rage Against The Machine album was probably still out of the question due to the group’s conflicting personalities, so he decided to simply construct a fake Rage Against The Machine with The Coup’s Boots Riley. The result – no matter how much you want to like it because you like the members’ former projects – is like an uninspired covers band, but one that avoids playing the hits.

You can say what you want about Audioslave as a “super group”, but at least they blended Morello’s signature sound with Cornell’s Seattle hard rock sensibilities – i.e. they took their pieces and put them together and made a new sound. But here we have two pieces that don’t fit together at all, jammed into place. Riley can’t stand in Zach de la Rocha’s shoes for a minute, though he desperately tries. Almost every single song uses the word “muthafucka”, usually multiple times – because hey it worked for “Killing in the Name” didn’t it? Even the Thank You’s in the liner notes say, “Street Sweeper Social Club would like to thank YOU, MUTHAFUCKA!” You can basically sum up Morello’s intentions with the song title “Shock You Again.”

Clearly you shouldn’t buy this album. But to give credit where credit is due, if you just pay attention to Morello’s guitar work, you won’t be entirely disappointed. Opener “Fight! Smash! Win!” (which sounds like it was named by either Andrew WK or a Japanese cartoon artist who speaks English as a second language) kicks off the album to a groovy start with a trademark, very cliché Rage riff that might have you feeling pretty optimistic for about 33 seconds, until Riley comes in, informs us that he “spits the sound of a million fists finna pound”, and continues along that line of quality lyrics for about 40 minutes until you either stop listening or you finish your review (which is the only way you’d be listening to the whole album.)

But even the guitar will let you down on “The Oath” and “Good Morning Mrs. Smith”; a few open chords and not much else. I guess “The Oath” does break into a riff that’s pretty much an homage to “Play That Funky Music” by Wild Cherry, but that's really reaching. Bottom line – Street Sweeper is no Rage. Theirs is not a formula that can be replicated, especially in 2009. And that’s all.

Check ‘em Out:
www.myspace.com/streetsweepersocialclub

Recommended If You Like:
Rage Against The Machine, The Coup, stubbornly refusing to let certain genres stay dead

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
10:04 AM on 07/17/09
ddb43
User Info.
Well said. This is horrendous!
01:34 PM on 07/17/09
FaceLixeMurder
Amplitude!
User Info.
Gross...
03:42 PM on 07/17/09
jesse_hitz
Juice
User Info.
not the greatest album in the world but it's worth a listen. Songs like clap for the killers and the oath are great.
05:21 PM on 07/17/09
bankrobber
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Boots Riley's lyrics are some of the most cutting, intricate and creative lyrics in the past decade. Lies are being spread by RATM-purists who can't appreciate the humor or the personal stories because they- rightfully so- want RATM to get back together. I invite anyone here to read Boots's lyrics and judge for themselves:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=495757192.

When you see these lyrics, it will prove that this reviewer is not giving us an honest review.

The choruses are simple, but that's how they're supposed to be. The magic and genius is in his lyrics. I've seen other reviews where Coup (Boots Riley's original group) say that they hate the music and it gets in the way of Riley's lyrics. It seems like there's a hate fest happening by bloggers who want a new RATM album or a new Coup album. This album is the best I've heard in a long time. Hold the music up against anything that came out this year, it blows it away. Hold the verses up against any verses from any so called "punk" bands this year- it blows them away.

Don't be swayed by this guy. Listen and read for yourself.
05:28 PM on 07/17/09
bankrobber
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yes. This is my first post becuz I was fed up with the number of reviews that didn't seem to give this album it's due.
05:40 PM on 07/17/09
red8ge
@JohnxHill
User Info.
Saw them on the NINJA tour. They were really fucking lame.
02:10 AM on 07/18/09
Blaise&Panthia.
Too much too much too much too much
User Info.
Boots Riley's lyrics are some of the most cutting, intricate and creative lyrics in the past decade. Lies are being spread by RATM-purists who can't appreciate the humor or the personal stories because they- rightfully so- want RATM to get back together. I invite anyone here to read Boots's lyrics and judge for themselves:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=495757192.

When you see these lyrics, it will prove that this reviewer is not giving us an honest review.

The choruses are simple, but that's how they're supposed to be. The magic and genius is in his lyrics. I've seen other reviews where Coup (Boots Riley's original group) say that they hate the music and it gets in the way of Riley's lyrics. It seems like there's a hate fest happening by bloggers who want a new RATM album or a new Coup album. This album is the best I've heard in a long time. Hold the music up against anything that came out this year, it blows it away. Hold the verses up against any verses from any so called "punk" bands this year- it blows them away.

Don't be swayed by this guy. Listen and read for yourself.
Thank you for introducing me to the best chorus ever.

"(Yeeee!)
Alright, Muthafuckas!
(Coo-Coooo!)
Fight, Muthafuckas!
(Yeeee!)
Alright Muthafuckas!
(Coo-Coooo!)
Fight, Muthafuckas!"
10:46 AM on 07/18/09
bankrobber
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thank you for introducing me to the best chorus ever.

"(Yeeee!)
Alright, Muthafuckas!
(Coo-Coooo!)
Fight, Muthafuckas!
(Yeeee!)
Alright Muthafuckas!
(Coo-Coooo!)
Fight, Muthafuckas!"
Yes. The choruses are simple. Something for a crowd to sing slong to. The verses, like I said, is what separates him from other songwriters.
08:39 AM on 07/20/09
PigDestroyer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is an unfair review -clearly you had your mind made up because of the whole rap/wrong thing. It's no Rage, that's for sure, but it's worth a listen. Some good songs and some good riffs.
11:26 AM on 07/28/09
myplasticyou
the future is x-rated
User Info.
this cd sucks a chode.
08:36 PM on 08/01/09
StartAngry&Mad
Lets get these people moving faster
User Info.
wow, I gave it a listen out of curiosity, I mean, the review makes it sound like the worst thing to drop in '09...all I can say is that its the worst thing I've heard in 2009, absolutely terrible.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests