Password

Album Review
October Fall - A Season In Hell Album Cover

October Fall - A Season In Hell

Reviewed by
October Fall - A Season In Hell
Release Date: February 21, 2006
Record Label: Fueled By Ramen

October Fall may be one of the newest additions to Fueled By Ramen/Decaydence’s roster, but they have already gotten hold of the “How To Write A Catchy Song” manual and have even added a couple chapters. With A Season In Hell, the dark title certainly is indicative of moody, downbeat tracks, but the CD instead displays many of the complete opposite. Overflowing power chords, songs filled to the brim with emotion, soaring vocals, and smooth piano melodies are all intrinsic characteristics of October Fall’s sound.

The first five songs on the album are huge. Each puts the anthemic qualities that Fueled By Ramen albums are becoming widely known for on display for the world to hear. The production/mixing is rock-solid, and Pat D’Andrea’s ranging vocals are superb. After a while, the guitar riffs become a bit predictable, but October Fall manage to twist the songs themselves into easily accessible, palatable, and—most of all—fun stories. Sure, they are not all giddy pop tracks, but the encouraging “Walking” fuses the best of both worlds. It tells a somber story, but more than anything focuses on looking toward the future. It’s, in a word, uplifting. “Caught in the Rain” is as undeniably addictive pop rock as they come, and you won’t be able to repress it.

“Hey Hey” is probably the biggest standout from the remaining six songs, but “Keep It Comin’” gives it a strong battle. Both songs are fun, instrumentally flawless (although not overly complex), and go to show the mainstream appeal that October Fall is sure to encounter. These guys when they catch on will make it huge; mark my words.

Simply put, they are major label material and beat the living hell out of 90% of major-label artists. This CD is not perfect, but the band is just another reason that the Chicago music scene is thriving. The band could improve a bit lyrically, as they tend to fall into an overused category, but that is really the only weak element of the entire album. A Season In Hell is a great pickup for power-pop fans; just get out your dancing shoes beforehand.

Recommended to fans of Fall Out Boy, Cartel, and The Rocket Summer.

Links: Myspace | Purevolume | Official Site | Buy October Fall's A Season in Hell on iTunes
This review is a user submitted review from Tony Pascarella. You can see all of Tony Pascarella's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 66
05:24 PM on 03/06/06
Jason Tate
User Info.
I liked the CD too, good review. But I can't listen to the whole thing all the way through. Everything bleeds together and I have to turn it off .. first 5 tracks are great though.
05:26 PM on 03/06/06
StartingLine182
Stay What You Are
User Info.
Great review. I got it and I thought it was pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking, but a great summer CD.
05:26 PM on 03/06/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by Jason Tate
I liked the CD too, good review. But I can't listen to the whole thing all the way through. Everything bleeds together and I have to turn it off .. first 5 tracks are great though.

Toward the end it is definitely like, "Haven't we heard this before?" But it's definitely encouraging.
05:31 PM on 03/06/06
Poultrylicious
haters are mean
User Info.
The “How To Write A Catchy Song" manual and the "How To Make It Huge" manual are all required readings for Fueled By Raymen bands. What's going on with Archie Star?
05:33 PM on 03/06/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
too sugary for my taste. i can't get past a few tracks.
05:40 PM on 03/06/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by Poultrylicious
The “How To Write A Catchy Song" manual and the "How To Make It Huge" manual are all required readings for Fueled By Raymen bands. What's going on with Archie Star?
I think in a year or so, that's going to get really old. But for now it's doing well for them. Gotta give them credit for a good business plan.
05:45 PM on 03/06/06
Badgers08
U look hot enuff to cook a pizza on
User Info.
Originally Posted by Jason Tate

took the words right out of my mouf
05:48 PM on 03/06/06
elvis2x
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just the fact that they toured with Ashlee Simpson are on tour with The Veronicas freaks me out.
05:51 PM on 03/06/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by elvis2x
Just the fact that they toured with Ashlee Simpson are on tour with The Veronicas freaks me out.
They probably got all kinds of ass, dude. I can't fault them for being smart guys :)
06:00 PM on 03/06/06
DroppedUrPocket
boom
User Info.
Boo.
06:00 PM on 03/06/06
alaskanpunker
Hello Seattle
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber

I agree.
06:28 PM on 03/06/06
bigmike
...is "big" and "mike"
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber
ditto.
06:30 PM on 03/06/06
Shatter_Glass
Take Apart Your Head
User Info.
Sounds alittle like SoCo
06:35 PM on 03/06/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by Shatter_Glass
Sounds alittle like SoCo
SoCo does a much better job with lyrics and is a little more piano oriented, but I can see the resemblance.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos