AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza, The - Danza II: The... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9
Production 6.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 77%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.63
Musicianship 9.88
Lyrics 8.63
Production 6.88
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 9.63
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 90%

Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza, The - Danza II: The...

Reviewed by: chelseaxsmilexD (07/17/09)
The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza - Danza II: The Electric Boogaloo
Record Label: Black Market Activities
Release Date: October 16, 2007

With such a bizarre band name that even rivals the quaint The Number Twelve Looks Like You, you can bet that The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza has a sense of humor and some zany math-grind music that incorporates genres that other bands wouldn't dare put on a record. They bring brutality to the table and blend it with genre-bastardization in a fun way that leaves some asking whether or not what they've just listened to was music, or if it was just a funky aural assault designed to kill anyone in close vicinity.

The album starts out with T.R.O.U.B.L.E., a skit that entails one man's journey to a bar to get a drink. After that track, your face will melt with the second song, "You Gonna Buy Drinks For The Whole Damn Bar," which starts off with groovy guitar work, blast-beats, and original breakdowns. However, the screams and growls seem to be monotonous, but this can be looked over as the next track, "I Don't Mean To Impose, But I Am The Ocean," shows every inch of the fretboard being used to the fullest extent. The breakdowns stay heavy, and it throws in originality that bands like The Dillinger Escape Plan and Botch founded long ago. Then, the insanity elevates to grindcore madness that carries on in the next song, "Go Greyhound." The song can be described in the same ways as the others. But there is an original, brutal feel to it. The song is ultimately a headbanger, and full of grind and mathcore sections that blend together in an awkward, yet satsifying way.

After these three tracks of grindcore insanity, the album slows to a skit as a break to reflect on what just happened. Then, most of the next tracks kind of bland out with some parts reminiscent of the other tracks (see the magnificent beginning to "Electric Boogaloo"). Then another skit comes into play and the main character acquires a chainsaw and kills everyone in the bar. Bloody mayhem ensues as whirring chainsaw sounds, screams of terror, and victims gasping for air fill the track. The chainsaw is left whirring on the ground before the last track, a country instrumental sets in, ending the album on a high note.

The first three tracks are basically the whole album, as the other tracks are heavy, but boring for this band. The album as a whole left me with an impression that their style was a "Meshuggah-math" style with some songs being bland for the album. The album is hit-and-miss, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. This band is bound to rise to the top of the scene with their music being able to separate themselves from the rest of the genre.

Recommended If You LikeMath-grind; brutality that isn't described as br00tal; math-grind; The Number Twelve Looks Like You; Genghis Tron; The Old Norma Jean, but heavier in it's styling.

Choice Cuts Go Greyhound; I Don't Mean To Impose, But I Am The Ocean; You Gonna Buy Drinks For The Whole Damn Bar.

http://www.myspace.com/tonydanzatapdanceextravaganza

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
12:38 PM on 07/27/09
more heart
Midtown Saves
User Info.
Is it me or did this seem more like a recap of the record song by song?
10:23 PM on 07/27/09
tcemoo
Time I Got Back to the Good Life
User Info.
That is the stupidest record name ever.
10:43 PM on 07/27/09
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
lol i like how he stated that the whole album is over in 3 songs, yet it scores well above average?
11:19 PM on 07/27/09
Schwarzenegger
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

i think i just pissed my pants after i read this band name/album title. fucking 77 percent. i've seen it all.
11:20 PM on 07/27/09
Schwarzenegger
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
oh, and this RIYL is hilarious
02:41 AM on 07/28/09
DickfaceChillah
I'm just beautiful me...
User Info.
It isn't originality if DEP and Botch founded it long ago!

And it is describe in a negative light it is compared to Meshuggah. Is that supposed to reference Meshuggah as bad!? WHAT *****!?
05:18 AM on 07/28/09
Neilhouse
Ya slam-dunkin what I'm alleyoopin?
User Info.
Funny I've never seen you say that about staff reviews...

That's mostly all they are as well.
08:29 AM on 07/28/09
aolsux
phase reverse
User Info.
The Number 12 is a quote from Twilight Zone.
06:55 PM on 07/28/09
chelseaxsmilexD
AP.net's official punching bag
User Info.
The Number 12 is a quote from Twilight Zone.
I know. The whole episode with the plastic surgery/ mind thing in their teenage transformation.
06:56 PM on 07/28/09
chelseaxsmilexD
User Info.
lol i like how he stated that the whole album is over in 3 songs, yet it scores well above average?
Because they are well above average. I said their are glimmering moments on the other ones, but they weren't as good as the first three songs'.
07:00 PM on 07/28/09
chelseaxsmilexD
User Info.
It isn't originality if DEP and Botch founded it long ago!

And it is describe in a negative light it is compared to Meshuggah. Is that supposed to reference Meshuggah as bad!? WHAT *****!?
I get what you are saying, but considering the completely unoriginal crap most other bands come out with these days it deserves an 8. It's not Botch, but it's not the myspace flavor of the week genericism that other bands put out (see my Eyes Set To Kill Review.)

It does have a more straightforward TNTLLY feel to it. Somewhat like a grindier old SYNT. So in my opinion it's original (especially considering that so many genres have been done before hard to venture as much without sounding completely retarded.)

And Meshuggah isn't bad, it's jsut that I think that with this album it doesn't shine as much as it could/should.
07:05 PM on 07/28/09
chelseaxsmilexD
User Info.
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

i think i just pissed my pants after i read this band name/album title. fucking 77 percent. i've seen it all.

They say that they wanted to name most of their stuff outlandish names because they don't want closed-minded people listening to them. They say that if a band name turns you off from them then they don't want you as a fan.
07:06 PM on 07/28/09
chelseaxsmilexD
User Info.
That is the stupidest record name ever.
They say that they wanted to name most of their stuff outlandish names because they don't want closed-minded people listening to them. They say that if a band name turns you off from them then they don't want you as a fan.
07:19 PM on 07/28/09
chelseaxsmilexD
User Info.
oh, and this RIYL is hilarious
Should I thank you or hate you? I did the math-grind thing twice on purpose to illustrate how bands have just been rehashing things.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests