AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Set Your Goals - This Will Be the Death of Us Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 9.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.66
Musicianship 7.66
Lyrics 7.38
Production 8.19
Creativity 7.16
Lasting Value 7.47
Reviewer Tilt 7.69
Average: 76%
Inside AP.net

Set Your Goals - This Will Be the Death of Us

Reviewed by: Bostancic25 (07/21/09)
Set Your Goals - This Will Be the Death of Us
Record Label: Epitaph
Release Date: July 21, 2009

"It was three last time we sang about the dead men and the rising of a scene we wanted so bad to help make."

If there was one line picked to describe where the scene is heading today, it would be no surprise if the powerful line from "This Will Be the Death of Us" was chosen as just that. Set Your Goals returns with a new outlook on the music industry and the problems that come with life after taking a three year break to sort things out. This Will Be the Death of Us isn't just another album you'd expect from the band that continues to stay true to their punk roots. This time, they come armed with guests, including Paramore's Hayley Williams and Vinnie Caruana of I Am The Avalanche. With songs like "This Will Be The Death Of Us," "The Fallen," "The Few That Remain," and "Equals," this is anything but a sophomore slump.

Guitarists Audelio Flores and Daniel Coddaire open the album with a guitar riff that proves to not only be catchy, but provides the base of its title track as well. It's a song for the ages, described by vocalist Matt Wilson as a song that deals with picking up the pieces and moving on. As the lyrics say, the band does just that. The album continues with twelve tracks containing a mash of "personal commentary, social commentary, personal stuff, relationships, falling out, burned bridges" and everything in between. Perhaps the bands most personal song comes through "Equals." Thousands of e-mails pouring in from fans, thanking the band for saving their lives, prompted co-vocalist Jordan Brown to examine his own life, even he couldn't save himself from the struggles of depression at the time. The song encompasses those thoughts and reaches out to fans in an effort to show themselves as relatable people. It's more than just another song. It's a hidden gem.

It's hard to miss "The Few That Remain," mainly due to the guest vocals of Hayley Williams. Paramore's lead vocalist impresses on the seventh track, marking her debut with Set Your Goals. This is where we get a taste of the talent few knew she had: rapping. The red-haired 20-year-old gives it all she has spitting rhymes into the mic. It's a successful job, but some may continue to prefer her as a vocalist instead.

As with every album, This Will Be The Death Of Us does have its faults. The vocals are admittedly not perfect. Neither Matt nor Jordan has ever claimed to be a professional singer. This is a huge step up from 2006's Mutiny, but it could be better. "Gia Bleeds (Make Way For Man)" is a hardcore anthem that appears almost randomly with the rest of the tracks. It's as if they just decided to insert a mainly heavy song at the last minute. Even the band's manager was reportedly shocked by the decision to create such a song. Was it a good idea? Thatís up to the listener.

At the end of the day, This Will Be The Death Of Us is a solid album worthy of it's praise in the punk community.

Recommended If You LikeFour Year Strong; I Am The Avalanche; New Found Glory

myspace.com/setyourgoals

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
11:37 AM on 07/31/09
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
nice review
12:39 PM on 07/31/09
TheInfamousAdam
Infamous since '85
User Info.
Good review. This so far is my AOTY, not because it's necessarily genius, but because it takes what I loved about NFG's Nothing Gold Can Stay and makes me love it again 10 years later. But I absolutely love this album. It may not be the most different thing I have ever experienced, but what I like about it is after so many years a band can create an album like this and it will be this good.
03:50 PM on 08/02/09
MorningStar10
the other Kyle.
User Info.
Good review, just to be picky its 'Gaia Bleeds'.
Love this album, The Fallen has the catchiest riff i heard in a while
08:00 PM on 08/02/09
Little Ferret
Play that tune
User Info.
Such a fucking disappointment. Both the Rest EP and Mutiny are among my all time favorite albums but after 10+ listens I can't get into this album. Before this was released I've probably listened to The Fallen (demo) almost 200 times and based on that song alone I was sure this album would deliver so its really disheartening that I enjoy Nothing Personal more than this. Besides the Fallen I only really like Giaia Bleeds
This is pretty much how I feel. One of the biggest disappointments in years.
10:37 PM on 08/02/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Such a fucking disappointment. Both the Rest EP and Mutiny are among my all time favorite albums but after 10+ listens I can't get into this album. Before this was released I've probably listened to The Fallen (demo) almost 200 times and based on that song alone I was sure this album would deliver so its really disheartening that I enjoy Nothing Personal more than this. Besides the Fallen I only really like Giaia Bleeds
i realy don't know how you could like mutiny and not enjoy this. It's essentially the same sound, except with better lyrics/vocals. They weren't going to reinvent themselves.
03:40 PM on 08/03/09
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
This and Mean Everything to Nothing (Manchester Orchestra) are my all time disappointing albums.
Really? Those are two of my favorites so far this year. Maybe my opinion differs because I came into both cds never having listened to either band before, but I though both were great. My main complaints are that the end of METN seems slow and blurred together at the end and TWBTDOU seems random at some points. Other than that I love them.
05:53 AM on 08/10/09
brianpaulie
User Info.
this album was pretty safe but it doesn't make it less of a great one.
09:52 AM on 08/24/09
miketheauthor
Dude
User Info.
There's nothing better than a Set Your Goals album. Especially this one. One of my favorite releases in a while.
09:21 PM on 10/03/09
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Didn't enjoy this album, I'd have to agree with LDD.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums