AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Nobody Yet - This One’s Headed For a Photo Finish Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 6.75
Production 7.5
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8
Production 7
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 78%

Nobody Yet - This One’s Headed For a Photo Finish

Reviewed by: npmshah (07/21/09)
Nobody YetThis One’s Headed for a Photo Finish
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: August 4, 2009

Nobody Yet is a band that is, well, a nobody, but surely makes a name for themselves on this effort. The band, at once, manages to harness the raw energy of punk and the catchiness of pop to create one of the most underrated pop-punk EP’s of our day and age.

The EP starts off with “The ‘Borrowing,’” providing a dynamic, catchy riff that hooks the listener. When the vocals (which sound like a combination between a raw William Beckett and Alex Gaskarth in his lower range) kick in, the listener knows he or she has found something special. The band also displays a strong control of dynamics in this song, keeping things tight, yet grand at the same time. “Leaving The Junction” follows, and it is a high point of this effort. With a riff reminiscent of All Time Low’s early days, the song continues with expert drumming and bass work and ends with a massive guitar solo. The band keeps the momentum going with track number three, “Classroom A.D.D.ictions.” The song lives up to its attention deficit name, going from a soft piano intro to skilled bass parts complemented by catchy guitar work to a point in the song where every non-vocal instrument works together to create one of the most solid hooks heard in a while. One element of this band that particularly stands out on this track is the role the vocals play in the band’s sound. Rather than having stagnant riffs with obnoxious, overpowering vocals, the band uses a voice as an instrument equal to the others. That said, though the vocalist is strong, the lyrics are not. Though there is nothing cringe-inducing, the lyrics for the most part are fairly average. However, though the EP peaks with “Classroom A.D.D.ictions,” the fun does not stop yet. “Lampshade Song” has a fist-pumping punk opener that stays fun and upbeat until the very end. “Boxers Aren’t Always Studs” is also fast-paced, and the band showcases a stronger control of sonic dynamics in this song. It serves as a wonderful ending to this diamond in a rough.

Overall, this is a very strong effort from Nobody Yet. Even though this band is definitely nobody yet, with any luck this EP will make them somebodies. I look forward to more from this band, and can honestly say this EP will be on rotation on my iPod for months to come.

Recommended if You Like Almost Here-era The Academy Is…-meets- The Party Scene-era All Time Low, Lights Out Dancing

http://www.myspace.com/nobodyyet

Track Listing1. The “Borrowing”
2. Leaving The Junction
3. Classroom A.D.D.ictions
4. Lampshade Song
5. Boxers Aren’t Always Studs

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
02:21 AM on 08/09/09
Broden Terry
I'm glad I built myself an igloo
User Info.
Good review, Neeps. Their Myspace songs are definitely catchy and upbeat and I'm enjoying this. As usual, your reviews are really detailed and informative!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests