AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Butch Walker News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Weekly Nostalgia: Marvelous 3

Posted by - 02:25 AM on 07/22/09
Hailing from the almighty Atlanta, the Marvelous 3 (fronted by mega-producer Butch Walker) stormed out the gates and brought massive arena-sized hooks to the masses. Scoring a popular hit in 1999 with "Freak of the Week," from their major-label debut, Hey! Album, the band became a leader in the powerpop-punk craze in the late '90's. If you were a fan when they were big, come and share your memories in the replies. If you have yet to hear some of the catchiest melodies likely to ever cross your eardrums, come take a listen.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 85
02:25 AM on 07/22/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Freak of the Week

Let Me Go

Grant Park

Buy it!Amazon - Physical | Amazon - Digital
02:31 AM on 07/22/09
anamericangod
User Info.
Oh my God, I got so excited seeing their name at the top of the page.

Where do I even begin with this band? They are almost the sole reason why I love music.

I saw Marvelous 3 a few times including their final show at Centennial Park which is the biggest crowd I've ever been a part of. I've seen Butch more than a dozen times. I've been lucky enough to be at shows where they've all came out and played together as a surprise.

These guys should have been even bigger than they were. I'm keeping my fingers crossed someday they make another record.

Also, LOL at the link to Marvie World. God I feel like I'm in high school again.

02:39 AM on 07/22/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Great choice for this great feature. Glad at least Butch is still making music.
02:45 AM on 07/22/09
anamericangod
User Info.
Arguably my favorite song ever.

02:49 AM on 07/22/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Arguably my favorite song ever.

Whoo! Thanks for finding that! They had one of the best live shows, and I'm so thankful Butch carries the torch and continues giving such spirited performances to this day.
02:56 AM on 07/22/09
anamericangod
User Info.
Whoo! Thanks for finding that! They had one of the best live shows, and I'm so thankful Butch carries the torch and continues giving such spirited performances to this day.
Yeah there aren't a whole lot of live videos of them, and what there is is usually in so-so quality. It's not like now when everyone had camera phones and HD video recorders. The last show they did was in 2001. Pretty sure people still used those over the shoulder camcorders then.

I'll dig up a few more to post later. Talking about this band seriously makes me feel like I'm 13 again.
02:57 AM on 07/22/09
siamesedream
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey! Album is probably the catchiest pop rock album ever made. One of the most criminally underrated bands ever, and it's completely mindblowing how this band never got massive at a time when they could have easily had hit after hit.

I feel the same way about the Gratitude album that came out in 2005...so overlooked, and had it come out in the 90s, it would have probably had 10 singles off it. Such great, catchy pop rock.
03:00 AM on 07/22/09
anamericangod
User Info.
Hey! Album is probably the catchiest pop rock album ever made. One of the most criminally underrated bands ever, and it's completely mindblowing how this band never got massive at a time when they could have easily had hit after hit.

I feel the same way about the Gratitude album that came out in 2005...so overlooked, and had it come out in the 90s, it would have probably had 10 singles off it. Such great, catchy pop rock.
They were slightly ahead of their time, and their label absolutely fucked them. If ReadySexGo had been released a year or two later, they would have been huge.

Instead, we got Korn and Disturbed and all that shit. These guys got pushed to the side.
03:05 AM on 07/22/09
jake13
Just an example of inconsistency
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I never listened to these guys but I just realized I recognized Freak of the week. I never knew who sang it, and was just a song I heard a few times
03:10 AM on 07/22/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
Come on.... only 9 posts in a Marvelous 3 thread on the front page? Where is everybody?
03:14 AM on 07/22/09
kianacarly
Your silence does not protect you
User Info.
Love Marvelous 3. I'm coincidentally listening to Butch Walker's Letters at the moment. Don't even know where to begin, I have so much love for this band.
03:15 AM on 07/22/09
The Summer Ends
COYS
User Info.
Hey! Album was the very first album I bought with my own money. I remember asking my parents for Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, Savage Garden, and the Backstreet Boys first album for birthdays or whatever in the past, but when I was 8, I finally saved up enough money to buy my first album. I remember going to Circuit City with no clue what I wanted. I walked up and down the aisles, grabbing various CDs and testing them on the littler scanner thing they had at the end of every aisle. I remember going through a Godsmack album, a Trisha Yearwood album, and a Mariah Carey ablum before I got to the Hey! Album. I scanned it and started listening to the first song, "You're So Yesterday." Within the first like 30 seconds of the song, I heard the word "hell." The CD didn't have "parental advisory" on it, so I could get it. My 8 year old self was so excited at having music with curse words in it. I listened to it on repeat so many times after that. That album shaped and molded me so drastically, that I can safely say it is the foundation for which my musical tastes sit on today. Butch Walker is the man.
03:32 AM on 07/22/09
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
I've never heard of any of this. I think I was too busy listening to Puff Daddy & The Family: No Way Out.

Maybe I'll check it out, though.
04:05 AM on 07/22/09
splat out path
Immense
User Info.
Yeah, I more or less worship the ground Butch Walker walks on. You'd think ground-worshipping would get old, but here I am...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos