AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dangerous Summer, The- Reach for the Sun Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 9.25
Production 8
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.95
Musicianship 7.61
Lyrics 7.98
Production 7.54
Creativity 7.41
Lasting Value 7.96
Reviewer Tilt 7.91
Average: 78%
Inside AP.net

Dangerous Summer, The- Reach for the Sun

Reviewed by: inthemidst (07/23/09)
The Dangerous Summer - Reach for the Sun
Record Label: Hopeless Records
Release Date: May 5, 2009

Ode to the method of self-reproach. The common tale of "It's all my fault, it's my problem" becomes easily relatable when you're pouring your heart out, especially when thousands of others around the country are listening through the medium of music. The Dangerous Summer have become the new poster boys for humble, honest, straight-forward powerpop that is so approachable with its charm that you're completely blindsided. Maybe it's due to your constant listening to the All Time Low's of the world with their formulaic use of teenage parties and the constant need for sex. But is it honest? Are you able to relate?

Reach for the Sun is The Dangerous Summer's first full-length to reach stores across the United States and second release if you include the EP If You Could Only Keep Me Alive. Musically, the album does not reinvent the wheel, but for the most part is set aside in order to better magnify the vocals of vocalist/bassist AJ Perdomo who tells his life story through each note of every song. Reach is an honest expression of the common man, and Perdomo does an incredible job of telling it. It's an album that feels like it was written "just for me," and it, more than likely, was the goal of The Dangerous Summer during the writing process.

"I spend my weekdays in my car, and the weekends drinking hard enough for two...I feel the weight of the world on my back, but I'm not feeling sick to death," relays Perdomo during the song "Settle Down" over a driving beat, alive, active, and hopeful. "I'm an optomist, but only in a perfect world." How much more honest can you assess yourself?

This isn't self-loathing complaint emo rock. There is a hint of hope in each song, no matter how detrimental the story is. Perdomo conveys his outlook on faith, love, relationships with others, and the world around him through telling melancholy stories with a disturbing mix of redemption and apathy.

The only unfortunate part of Reach is that musically, The Dangerous Summer hasn't matured much since the release of the EP; not to say that it's bad obviously, but nothing worth mentioning. Most of it is just a nice background for Perdomo's exceptional vocal delivery reminiscent of Kenny Vasoli. Either way, it's a great listen.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
07:14 PM on 08/06/09
erikbue
User Info.
very well said.
Quote:
It's an album that feels like it was written "just for me,"
thats exactly how i feel every single time i listen to this album.
11:38 PM on 08/06/09
John is a cult
insidethetargetcar.bandca mp.com
User Info.
excited to listen to this now.
11:43 PM on 08/06/09
mxpxjf
mxpxjf
User Info.
Love the record!
11:58 PM on 08/06/09
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
this is a great review. score's still a bit too high, i'd rate it at about an 80%, but that's besides the point.
01:50 AM on 08/07/09
ind1ekid
ambulance chaser
User Info.
I was really disappointed with this! Think i might have to give it another try!
02:52 AM on 08/07/09
crit
@crittweets
User Info.
Very nice review.
02:57 AM on 08/07/09
leifstar
l.i.a.r.
User Info.
Great review. Great band, I cannot take the cd out of my car, its amazing.
05:54 AM on 08/07/09
M.C COB
No one touches the Shaqtus
User Info.
My favorite album of the year so far.
06:02 AM on 08/07/09
Johnny Minardi
User Info.
Love this record.
07:08 AM on 08/07/09
f00te
I always have ship wreck dreams.
User Info.
album o' the year....
behind Daisy
07:10 AM on 08/07/09
titoki
You are my song
User Info.
I didnt enjoy their EP that much but a friend told me he was hooked on it and I gave it another go.Still when I got this record,I was blown away!!Good Review!
08:17 AM on 08/07/09
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
very well said.

thats exactly how i feel every single time i listen to this album.
Agreed. Great review, definitely one of the best albums of the year.
08:31 AM on 08/07/09
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is a great review. score's still a bit too high, i'd rate it at about an 80%, but that's besides the point.
False.

This record deserves the score it received and much more. The music itself is a refresh compared to alot of the "generic" bands floating around the scene, and the lyrics are simply and purely honest which is something those bands are lacking as well. I haven't heard such an honest record in quite a long time, and I listen to almost the entire album nearly everyday; I can't get sick of it.

And, I totally agree with the people saying that they think this album was "written for them." It truly hits home.
08:33 AM on 08/07/09
Skees
User Info.
Agree on the music aspect lacking a bit. A few of the songs sound exactly the same. Wish I could like this album more.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums