AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Death in the Park - Death in the Park Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 6.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Death in the Park - Death in the Park

Reviewed by: Mirrorsandfevers (07/25/09)
Death in the Park - Death in the Park
Record Label: END SOUNDS
Release Date: October, 21st 2008

I won't lie, I absolutely love this album. It's been spinning for almost a month now. The fact that I have to review it kinda tears me apart. I have to find it's flaws and, worst of all, somehow describe how incredible the hooks and melodies are on this small EP.

Each song has it's own feeling. Starting with "Pitifully Exposed" a song that opens slowly and in lo-fi, but then hits hard and loud within the first few seconds. Singer/guitarist Andy Jackson belts out "Don't sit here pitifully exposed/and with that everybody knows/shove a poison apple down my throat/from a distance you just watch me choke" while lead guitarist Ronnie Gardner slides in his notes that lead you to believe this isn't a song about conflict.

The New Found Glory Coming Home-esque "Do You Want Me Now" is a favorite off this EP, with its hard and powerful chord changes, a loud and catchy bridge, all while Jackson shouts "Do you want me now?" and "I'll take this serious/Let's go," with the emotion that isn't found in common everyday bands. The melodies in this song are really the driver of the song. You can really hear the desperation in the vocals, the longing for an answer to the question.

"Sway" could totally be found on the radio. The catchy hook and singalong chorus are upbeat and fun, ending slowly to lead up to the last two acoustic songs on the EP. "Fallen" is the acoustic closer. The ever so popular Hayley Williams(Paramore) makes a guest appearance on this song(and I swear I hear her on some other songs as well). Her vocal work is only heard during the chorus and the vocal hook, which really makes the song, but compliments everything accordingly. The song is pretty fast-paced for an acoustic ballad, and I wouldn't doubt it if there was a full band version of the song somewhere out there.

Again, each song is able to hit home. Each song, even the acoustic songs, are heavy with emotion. Whether it be with vocal power or the music itself. This EP is definitely something I'd recommend. It's fast, it's catchy, and it's heartfelt. Every song has real raw emotion to it, something that makes great songs. Death in the Park will definitely be kept on my radar.

Recommended If You LikeThe Get Up Kids; New Found Glory - Coming Home

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
01:56 PM on 08/06/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
There have been a number of submissions for this album lately, suprising for an album that's been out for a while and sort of flew under the radar when it was released.

I really like this, though, and blogged about it some time ago. And for those curious, yes, it's that Andy Jackson (ex-Hot Rod Circuit).
10:19 PM on 08/06/09
coolwithme19
User Info.
good review. i like that you pointed out this "You can really hear the desperation in the vocals, the longing for an answer to the question."

this ep has been out way to long, im ready for the full length
06:57 AM on 08/07/09
Wutz
Don't Worry, I'm A Pilot
User Info.
I saw these guys live: not impressed.

The sound was pretty shoddy so it might be "we're better when you can hear what we're doing."

I'll have to give 'em another chance.
11:01 AM on 08/07/09
Mirrorsandfevers
www.BasedOnNothing.net
User Info.
There have been a number of submissions for this album lately, suprising for an album that's been out for a while and sort of flew under the radar when it was released.

I really like this, though, and blogged about it some time ago. And for those curious, yes, it's that Andy Jackson (ex-Hot Rod Circuit).
Yeah, I tried to stay away from Hot Rod Circuit mentions. I figured that maybe too many people were taking this album as "not as good as Hot Rod Circuit." So I didn't even want to mention that, to give people more honest listens.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums