AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

No Trigger - Canyoneer Album Cover

No Trigger - Canyoneer

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
No TriggerCanyoneer
Record Label: Nitro Records
Release Date: March 21, 2006

Score: [9.1]

When I sat down to review this record, I thought I’d browse the web to see what other people have said about Canyoneer. It only took a few minutes for me to realize that people know absolutely nothing about this band, and some of the reviews I read were so under-researched and inadequate that it actually made me upset. One website even went so far as to call No Trigger a “more scene Rise Against.” It is with these reviews in mind that I felt justice must be done to such an incredible band and release. And trust me, there’s nothing overtly “scene” about No Trigger – they’re more like a balls to the wall fusion of punk, melody, and hardcore. No Trigger shouldn’t be viewed as an aspiring band in comparison to Rise Against when they’ve already created a record that rivals anything Rise Against has ever created.

No Trigger is just one of many upstart bands leading the punk revival on Nitro Records, along with labelmates A Wilhelm Scream and a vast array of excellent bands redefining a genre that has been overshadowed over the past several years. No Trigger possesses the unique gift of creating instantly memorable songs without sacrificing a bit of artistic integrity, energy, or uniqueness. You won’t find any ballads on Canyoneer – in fact, one of its strongest aspects is its nonstop barrage of energy and fist-pumping anthems. Songs like “The Honshu Underground” and “Neon National Park” meld hardcore-infused verses effortlessly into driving, melodic choruses. Other songs display an impressive array of guitar licks, such as the incorporation of a post-chorus metal-infused riff into a bridge, which transitions well into yet another verse in "Hail Mary Leaky." It’d be impossible to describe all the little things No Trigger does on this record, but the point is that minor things in their instrumentation and transitions make each song memorable and add a significant amount of lasting value. “More to Offer” coincidently offers up the most variation on the entire record, with female backing vocals and awesome guitar harmonies.

The criticisms for Canyoneer are few and far between. The lasting value of this record, while extended by subtle instrumentation, is not outstanding. It is, at its core, a fairly straightforward punk/hardcore record, even though it is insanely catchy and mosh-worthy. While they’re doing what they do better than anyone else I’ve heard since Marathon (R.I.P.), this Massachusetts 5-piece still has no limit as to what they can achieve in the future. Canyoneer is a huge step forward from their 2004 EP Extinction in Stereo, so one can only dream of what comes next for No Trigger. Until then, go pick up Canyoneer and enjoy one of the year’s best releases.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
12:51 PM on 03/15/06
alaskanpunker
Hello Seattle
User Info.
I like what I've heard a lot. They remind me a lot of A Wilhelm Scream mixed with Strike Anywhere.
01:03 PM on 03/15/06
X__inhope
justinryan.org
User Info.
I LOVE this cd.
01:53 PM on 03/15/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
good review Scott.
02:55 PM on 03/15/06
IcedOpethBlind
User Info.
i usually like the same shit you do scott (your good review awhile back for Stretch Arm Strong's latest was the only reason I picked it up, and I enjoyed it) so I'll definitely be looking into picking up a copy.
04:07 PM on 03/15/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by IcedOpethBlind
i usually like the same shit you do scott (your good review awhile back for Stretch Arm Strong's latest was the only reason I picked it up, and I enjoyed it) so I'll definitely be looking into picking up a copy.
sweet dude, I always love it when my tastes match up with a reviewer too.
04:14 PM on 03/15/06
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
User Info.
i want to check these guys out, but the songs posted on purevolume are horribly low quality! seriously, it's like internet, 1997 style.
05:00 PM on 03/15/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by Tony
i want to check these guys out, but the songs posted on purevolume are horribly low quality! seriously, it's like internet, 1997 style.
You can now download The Honshu Underground in full quality on their PV page I believe.
05:01 PM on 03/15/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
I'm looking into, looking into this.
05:53 PM on 03/15/06
jusaphase
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Gardner, MA represent!
06:31 PM on 03/15/06
NameTaken69
Life Is A Pigsty
User Info.
good review, deffinately going to pick this up. if it rivals any rise against album then it will be banging
07:07 PM on 03/15/06
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
good review.

great band.

I thought they were a 5 piece though
07:26 PM on 03/15/06
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Heh, this is a great record, but Scott, have you not heard any Bigwig? It's exactly where they got the metal riff you speak of. The band would probably admit that, too.

They can't dodge the Strike Anywhere tag either, there's a few reallll obvious moments on here circa
Chorus of One

Still, a fantastic album, and I'm so happy they're delivering early on their promise. The first half has a number of great songs, and even then "More to Offer" is flat out incredible and the standout.

At least an 8, and I'm pretty conservative with my scores.
07:42 PM on 03/15/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by InaGreendase
Heh, this is a great record, but Scott, have you not heard any Bigwig? It's exactly where they got the metal riff you speak of. The band would probably admit that, too.

They can't dodge the Strike Anywhere tag either, there's a few reallll obvious moments on here circa
Chorus of One

Still, a fantastic album, and I'm so happy they're delivering early on their promise. The first half has a number of great songs, and even then "More to Offer" is flat out incredible and the standout.

At least an 8, and I'm pretty conservative with my scores.
I've actually never listened to Strike Anywhere and I've only heard Bigwig a few times (and only their newest record at that), and certainly not enough to notice similarities like you pointed out. I didn't really grow up in that scene, and I'm fortunate enough to be getting into it now. Uniqueness is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, Brian. "If I haven't heard it, it's new to me."
01:11 AM on 03/16/06
TheBaroness
User Info.
great band. it's good to see bands like no trigger, a wilhelm scream, lawrence arms et al starting to get some recognition.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos