Username
Password
Cobra Starship News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Cobra Starship
Inside AP.net

James Montgomery Reviews Hot Mess

Posted by: Anton Djamoos (07/29/09)
James Montgomery has written impressions about Cobra Starship's Hot Mess, calling it "pitch-perfect future pop." The video in the article is worth watching.
From the ArticleThere's also plenty of focus on getting down and getting wasted, tons of mentions of dance floors and blurry nights, punch-ups and breakdowns, because, really ... it's Cobra Starship. That's what they do. And perhaps that brings up the biggest point in all this: Hot Mess is a really great album. It's definitely a leap forward for the band. It's smart and funny and fun. Yet, because Cobra Starship made it, the album probably won't be embraced by the music-journo community that would probably love it if they gave it a chance. That's a shame, but it's sort of inevitable.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 154
07:19 AM on 07/29/09
oh...rly
User Info.
first
07:22 AM on 07/29/09
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
i havent even read or watched this but screw this guy.
07:22 AM on 07/29/09
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
Hmmm...I'm sure I'll like it.
07:23 AM on 07/29/09
ndoleman
Registered Member
User Info.
the album is horrible, no joke, honest review. good girls go bad is the best song, which says something even though i liked the single until i started hearing everywhere and at parties, then it got annoying.
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i havent even read or watched this but screw this guy.
Why?
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the album is horrible, no joke, honest review. good girls go bad is the best song, which says something even though i liked the single until i started hearing everywhere and at parties, then it got annoying.
You've heard the album? I haven't even heard the album.
07:24 AM on 07/29/09
sarahs_feistayy
User Info.
disagree...
07:26 AM on 07/29/09
ndoleman
Registered Member
User Info.
You've heard the album? I haven't even heard the album.
mhm, i wanted this to be good but it really is the single and filler tracks
07:28 AM on 07/29/09
charliexxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This kinda makes me worried. I want the 06 Cobra Starship. I'm not really seeing that in Hot Mess and Good Girls Go Bad. But whatever.
07:31 AM on 07/29/09
JCCC
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Surprising. In the article it says they are friends but I remember Montgomery dogging on them all of the time.
07:33 AM on 07/29/09
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
"pitch-perfect future pop"?

i mean, come on......

i read it and listened to it now. the review was well-written enough to get me interested enough that i will for sure take a listen to the record when it drops, although i wont go out and buy it unless that listen really grabs me. i dont think he wrote it such a great review because hes friends with the band or anything....i just think that he and i differ in our tastes of good music.

ive heard a few songs from the album and its just not growing on me.....i can deal with some pop and im the first to recognize when a song is catchy to me, ill admit to my "guilty pleasures" but these guys just never wrote anything, and so far i have not heard anything new from them that classifies them under one of those categories for me.

the video was amusing though. and the review did get me interested enough to at least listen to the songs i havent heard, so i guess this guy did his job.
07:35 AM on 07/29/09
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"pitch-perfect future pop"?

i mean, come on......

i read it and listened to it now. the review was well-written enough to get me interested enough that i will for sure take a listen to the record when it drops, although i wont go out and buy it unless that listen really grabs me. i dont think he wrote it such a great review because hes friends with the band or anything....i just think that he and i differ in our tastes of good music.

ive heard a few songs from the album and its just not growing on me.....i can deal with some pop and im the first to recognize when a song is catchy to me, ill admit to my "guilty pleasures" but these guys just never wrote anything, and so far i have not heard anything new from them that classifies them under one of those categories for me.

the video was amusing though. and the review did get me interested enough to at least listen to the songs i havent heard, so i guess this guy did his job.
So screw him because he liked it?
07:37 AM on 07/29/09
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Good read. What I'd give for the original (faux?) Cobra Starship lineup with Gabe, Travis, Maja Ivarsson and Will Beckett. I know it was unrealistic but those four could have put out a really epic pop-punk CD, done a tour and called it quits, and we'd all be for the better.

edit: yes, with that guy from AAR on guitars and whoever on drums, I realize there aren't instrumentalists listed.
07:38 AM on 07/29/09
rickmo
Fear of growing older
User Info.
still wont listen to it
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives