AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Blog News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Ultragrrrl Doesn't Understand Stephan Jenkins

Posted by - 01:21 PM on 07/29/09
Sarah Lewittin, AKA Ultragrrrl, has written a blog where she questions the effect and popularity of 90's band Third Eye Blind based on opinions of AP's very own forum viewers.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 552
01:28 PM on 07/29/09
anamericangod
User Info.
Quote:
To me, and lots of other people of the same age group I was in, a band like 3EB et al were a joke. They were a band you expected to hear on the radio, but basically didn't give a fuck about beyond that. You wouldn't be caught dead at one of their shows, you wouldn't be caught dead with one of their cds, and you wouldn't even have to worry about any of that because it was all on a different plane.

What the fuck is this girl talking about?

Calling Third Eye Blind, Everclear, Matchbox20, Cake, Lit, Bush, Gin Blossoms nothing but radio bands is unbelievably naive. Then comparing Morissey's despair to the "do do do's" of "Semi Charmed Life?" Did she ever even listen to any of those bands albums? They all had pretty substantial careers, with quality songs all over the place. Not to mention every single one of those bands is incredible live.

I can't take any of this seriously. What a joke of a blog. She now runs a label? Call Tony Brummel.
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
I'd have to agree. I think there's a definite ninety's revival. We're seeing it in bands like Silversun Pickups and Manchester Orchestra and so on...they're taking good music that we grew up with as young adults, these bands that started our love of music, and they turning into something new for the next generation. Albums like So Much For the Afterglow and Third Eye Blind's self-titled are classics. I'm not a fan of the other releases really, but those albums are solid 90's hits that I think hold their longevity nowadays.

Instead of a bunch of tweens hearing the same garbage recycled from two or three years ago, great bands are rediscovering why they loved music to begin with, and why they decided to make a life out of it. Good thing for us, they are making great choices to emulate into a new creation.
amorning_ofsleep
Drink 23 more
User Info.
I can't understand their popularity either
01:29 PM on 07/29/09
sell the sunris
..is Batman
User Info.
Actually, she asks a valid question.

The 3EB fanbase seemed to emerge from nowhere to me. I have no idea how this happened. Now, my viewpoint comes from less disgusted viewpoint...more just morbidly curious as to how Stephen Jenkins did it.

I do find the question interesting.

Now where's my fucking Harvey Danger revival?!
01:30 PM on 07/29/09
gracky
Don't you float away.
User Info.
p.s. in the comments:
Quote:
Everyone knows absolutepunk forum members are actually industry people posing as 100 different teenagers.
01:31 PM on 07/29/09
FallOutBoyPunch
pressure's mountin',I don't Everest
User Info.
How has their fanbase come from nowhere? Their first album sold mega amounts, and not JUST because of semi-charmed life. And Blue sold over a milli too! What a terrible blog.
01:32 PM on 07/29/09
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
What the fuck is this girl talking about?

Calling Third Eye Blind, Everclear, Matchbox20, Cake, Lit, Bush, Gin Blossoms nothing but radio bands is unbelievably naive. Then comparing Morissey's despair to the "do do do's" of "Semi Charmed Life?" Did she ever even listen to any of those bands albums? They all had pretty substantial careers, with quality songs all over the place. Not to mention every single one of those bands is incredible live.

I can't take any of this seriously. What a joke of a blog. She now runs a label? Call Tony Brummel.
Joe, I think that list is definitely arguable. Bush's Sixteen Stone is the first album I ever bought, and I still love it. But Matchbox 20? Gin Blossoms? Lit?????? I don't see these bands holding a "remember how awesome that album was?" kind of stance. And certainly not a Smith's legacy in the least.

There was a time when all I heard was the radio, and the albums and artists she's referring to were on mixtapes I recorded from the radio. Eventually I got into bands like Fenix Tx and New Found Glory...but there were a few good mid-90's albums that still hold water.
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
p.s. in the comments:
Damn! She's on to us...
splitsecond
Augustine / Evan
User Info.
Wow I am so impressed, she was a 15 year old elitist before the internet was big enough to create a legion of 15 year old elitists. I am going to have to concure with Joe on this one. I have never ONCE heard someone say "Oh 3EB is just a shitty radio band" and I am FROM her age group. What a joke.
SSLYBY
Back in the saddle.
User Info.
Lol
01:33 PM on 07/29/09
Jonathan Lally
Ain't nobody got time for that.
User Info.
I remember Third Eye Blind were doing HUGE outdoor tours around their second album, Blue. I remember them being huge venues because Jenkins would run up into the freakin' bleachers.
01:33 PM on 07/29/09
deFobbed14yrs
Legal Drug Dealer
User Info.
p.s. in the comments:
oh god they found us out!

and 3eb rocks live
01:34 PM on 07/29/09
simensays
User Info.
Is it just me that thinks 3EB is done and that when the release UrsaMinor its not going to sell well. Nobody remembers them.
And I liked Lit and Bush back in the day, but they both seemed to have forgotten how to make good music. Atleast Gavins lucky he married Gwen. "I'M RICH BITCH!"
01:34 PM on 07/29/09
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Comment from the blog:

"The Absolutepunk link doesn't prove shit.
It's only two pages and it's the same 3 people posting 3eb crap. Everyone knows absolutepunk forum members are actually industry people posing as 100 different teenagers."

Truth.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version