AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Detox Retox - Hard To Swallow Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 5.25
Production 5.5
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 5.75
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 60%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Detox Retox - Hard To Swallow

Reviewed by: fashionshowdown (07/31/09)
Detox Retox Hard To Swallow
Record Label: Burn After Listening Records
Release Date: 2008

Hard To Swallow goes down pretty smooth when the cowbell kicks in at the start of “Groovebox,” whose name gives quite the insight to the box of grooving that is to follow. Their sound is unique in the sense that I doubt you’ll see them in neon shirts and skinny jeans. Instead, you’ll find these gentlemen carefully crafting their art into something groovy for you to dance to.

“Evil Disco” has quite the lyrical palette for the listener, with lines such as “she drinks tequila for dinner” giving insight into this evil disco diva that DR sings about. The song has a very modern and honest feel to it: “if you want to talk to me, just text me” reminds the girls that these are men without time for shenanigans. They are on the go, in the studio, busy making tunes for people to groove to.

“They Say” slows the disc up and makes for a nice transition into “Too Late,” in which a high-hat cymbal and a clean guitar duel back and forth. This really preps the listener for the chords that follow and the line “don’t call the doctor.” If you don’t find yourself dancing by this point in the record, check your pulse! I couldn’t decide whether or not the sound was something I was in to, and then I noticed that the entire time my feet had been bouncing back while I sat in my desk chair. This EP appropriately closes with “Resurrection” which is both laid back and yet still full of infectious beats to move to.

If you like to dance but feel guilty listening to Metro Station and Millionaires, do yourself a favor and support a real band that plays real instruments and write real songs. You’ll definitely be grooving in no time!

Recommended If You LikeGroovatron, 70's funk, dancing, stuff that doesn't suck

Track Listing1. Groovebox
2. Evil Disco
3. They Say
4. Too Late
5. Resurrection

www.myspace.com/detoxretox

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums