AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Appleseed Cast, The - Peregrine Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.33
Musicianship 9.42
Lyrics 9
Production 9.42
Creativity 9.58
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 94%
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Appleseed Cast, The - Peregrine

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (03/21/06)
The Appleseed Cast - Peregrine
Release Date: March 21, 2006
Record Label: The Militia Group

It’s been three years since we have heard from the Lawrence, Kansas based quartet, The Appleseed Cast, and they’ve been greatly missed in a time of cliché pop-punk and an over saturation of the music scene. With their 5th and latest release, Peregrine, The Appleseed Cast is here to save us from musical purgatory. With a new label backing them (The Militia Group) and using their hiatus to reflect, TAC has come back refreshed and refocused, offering us 13 tracks that combine what previous releases gave glimpses of and incorporate it into this magnificent album. Produced by John Congleton (Explosions In The Sky, The Roots, Modest Mouse), Peregrine was recorded live and bursts with a dynamic energy that broods and elates throughout the album.

It is important to note that Peregrine, while not proclaimed as a concept album, does incorporate an underlying theme throughout the album. Musically and lyrically, this album is a haunting display of images. Peregrine touches on a family being separated, an once-loving father’s guilt and brutality beginning to encompass him, a daughter’s ghost, a son fighting against his own hate, and the avenging angel, the daughter.

“Ceremony,” a four-minute instrumental, sets the tone for the album; it is soaring and intimate, yet contains a dark underlining throughout. New drummer Nathan Richardson (formerly of Coalesce and The Casket Lottery) really shines on this track, displaying his skill as well as adding a new distinct sound at the percussion for TAC. “Woodland Hunter (Part I)” is the first standout track from Peregrine. Beginning with a gentle strumming of the guitar and Chris Crisci’s warm vocals, the song bursts into what sounds like the anthem of this album. Lyrically, Crisci is on top of the game, with this one being the climax of the song: “But cold is home and I am winter/blinding light and blasting horns/if you want warmth than I am summer/but choose the one you’re wanting more.” The next track, “Here We Are (Family In The Hallways),” is a somber song about a family that has been separated. Again, Crisci uses the emotion of his voice to match the mood of the track. “Silas’ Knife” is one of my favorite tracks, and will become a fan favorite. About a father in guilt, this song maintains an upbeat sound and the outburst of the instruments working together gives this song a meaning of hope. “Mountain Halo” begins with an industrial sound and continues in a dreary electronica path, giving this song a different feel than the previous few. “February” is another one of my favorite tracks, a mid-tempo paced track that uses the rhythm section of bassist Marc Young and Richardson to the fullest. Crisci and Aaron Pillar’s guitars add to the haunting sound this track possesses. Crisci’s vocals toward the end also gives me shivers. “Song 3” is an eerie track while the title track is a softer song that uses the bass to full effect once again. “A Fate Delivered” is a dark and fast track that’ll leave a lasting impression on you. About an avenging angel, lyrics such as “The one that you love/the one that will hurt you/the one up above/now a cold wind blows/it’s breaking down the line” make this song great. Peregrine, just as it opened, closes with a beautiful instrumental, showing us once again that Crisci, Pillar, Young, and Richardson are masters at their instruments and can write some amazing music.

With Peregrine, The Appleseed Cast have written their most complete album to date, and is on par with, or dare I say, even better than, the spectacular “Two Conversations.” The Appleseed Cast has taken what they have learned and acquired in the ten years as a band and have put them together to create the first true great release of 2006. Those of you who are diehard fans may view this album as a disappointment upon first listen, but the more you listen, the more you will realize what the band has accomplished. Peregrine has the potential to be the best indie/post-rock release and one of the best overall albums of 2006. Don’t miss out on this exciting time in The Appleseed Cast’s career, because, as vocalist/guitarist Chris Crisci says, “this is just the beginning.”

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
10:04 AM on 03/21/06
fluke182
Burning bicycles for revenge
User Info.
I just reviewed this for my radio station, great review. Sounds like exactly what I heard, which is not entirely surprising.
10:15 AM on 03/21/06
ShallowDepths
ShallowDepths
User Info.
People need to hear this. and Im sad to say most wont. because its not something likely to burst with radio hits and videos and top ten lists etc.. The Appleseed Cast is a brilliant band, sorely underappreciated, and horribly forgotten in a genre of music that often drowns out its trailblazers. For the beginners Two Coversations is by far most appropriate with this coming in a clean shaven second behind. Though, just like Drew said, upon repeated listenings and devling deeper into the album you truely find yourself lost in its landscapes. its SO important to know that the album is recorded live, not with audience and all but without all the mixing and tracking and studio nonsense that often misrepresents a band when you end up seeing them live.
The Appleseed Cast are the real deal. show them to your friends, spread the good word. PLEASE.
10:28 AM on 03/21/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Originally Posted by ShallowDepths
People need to hear this. and Im sad to say most wont. because its not something likely to burst with radio hits and videos and top ten lists etc.. The Appleseed Cast is a brilliant band, sorely underappreciated, and horribly forgotten in a genre of music that often drowns out its trailblazers. For the beginners Two Coversations is by far most appropriate with this coming in a clean shaven second behind. Though, just like Drew said, upon repeated listenings and devling deeper into the album you truely find yourself lost in its landscapes. its SO important to know that the album is recorded live, not with audience and all but without all the mixing and tracking and studio nonsense that often misrepresents a band when you end up seeing them live.
The Appleseed Cast are the real deal. show them to your friends, spread the good word. PLEASE.

Exactly.
10:41 AM on 03/21/06
SLADE775
Still the greatest
User Info.
Good Job Drew.

I'll check this out.
10:59 AM on 03/21/06
Speyside
We Still Care
User Info.
Peregrine > Two Conversations and Drew = sex
11:02 AM on 03/21/06
MarkyMark1984
****** of the funky bunch
User Info.
i can not wait to go buy this album!
11:03 AM on 03/21/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Fine review, sir.
11:37 AM on 03/21/06
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
User Info.
Originally Posted by ShallowDepths

I wouldn't be suprised to hear Sunlit Ascending or February on the radio.
01:38 PM on 03/21/06
Hawt
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If Ceremony is supposed to be an instrumental, why does the clip on the ecard have lyrics?

http://themilitiagroup.com/ecards/ta...rine/card.html (once it loads click listen and click ceremony, it starts up with the lyrics "i dont know..."

I don't get it.
01:50 PM on 03/21/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Originally Posted by Hawt
If Ceremony is supposed to be an instrumental, why does the clip on the ecard have lyrics?

http://themilitiagroup.com/ecards/ta...rine/card.html (once it loads click listen and click ceremony, it starts up with the lyrics "i dont know..."

I don't get it.

Trust me, in the booklet, it says "Ceremony" (instrumental) and there are no lyrics.
02:02 PM on 03/21/06
Nate_RAWKS
Bring it back Old School
User Info.
I really enjoyed this review. Nice job!
02:10 PM on 03/21/06
poppa Q
LBTBG
User Info.
Good work, Drew.
02:14 PM on 03/21/06
marexvitalis
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i love anything music by the appleseed cast but as great as this album is, low level owl vol. 1 and 2 are still in my opinion their best work to date. 2nd being mare vitalis.
02:43 PM on 03/21/06
whitetiehanging
User Info.
i love this cd so far, great review
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles