AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 6
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 3
Reviewer Tilt 4.5
Final Verdict: 64%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops

Reviewed by: Tony Pascarella (03/22/06)
Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops
Release Date: February 28, 2006 (digital) / April 25, 2006 (street)
Record Label: Reprise Records

As many of us may be aware, the music industry has a cruel streak. If you underachieve, simply put, you’re out of work. Bands with potential must to live up to it or other artists will overtake them who will. In the past, I have questioned whether Secret Machines would be one of the bands who would fail to live up to their potential as experimental rock giants in a mainstream not noted for its broad acceptance of the genre. The table is set for them to become huge—the major label, the publicity push, and the fans—they just need to follow through. Nevertheless, the music remains a bit suspect. I personally enjoyed their four covers and two original tracks from Secret Machines’ 2005 EP, The Road Leads Where It’s Led; the disc offered some interesting interpretations of “Astral Weeks” and an epic rendition of Bob Dylan’s “Girl From the North Country.” They’re back with a second full-length album, Ten Silver Drops, which released last month digitally and will street in June. But is this a flagship work of their career?

My least favorite song on the eight-track album is the lead single, “Alone, Jealous, and Stoned.” Brandon Curtis’ harsh, pronounced vocal tone falls alarmingly flat. Lyrically, it is interesting, but never is it promising to put your listeners to sleep about halfway through the very first song on the album. “All At Once (It’s Not Important)” makes some strides in the soporific department, but the pulsating drumbeats from Josh Garza are the only thing that keep us from nodding off again. I was hoping for an album from Secret Machines that would completely melt my face every time I decided to blast it from my stereo, but only one song really comes close to that. “Daddy’s in the Doldrums” clocks in at nearly eight and a half minutes. Seemingly self-indulgent and fortified with copious amounts of haze, the song is a gripping tune that you should definitely wake up to listen to. If you’re looking for Secret Machines to rock out, the closest you’ll get is the acerbic “I Hate Pretending,” which is catchy and keeps the second half of Ten Silver Drops from fading into relative obscurity. Each of the remaining songs has a few high points, but never do they fully carry through on the band’s potential.

Ten Silver Drops is a transition album of sorts for Secret Machines. It is a step forward, but the album as a whole just does not do it. They have two or three songs that show they are not ready to fade into oblivion, but a few others that come off as overly contrived. The major label behind this CD will probably sell some copies, but I wouldn’t expect this band to get huge just yet. However, if they play their cards right, it will not be long before Secret Machines become a household name.

Buy Secret Machines' Ten Silver Drops on iTunes

Links: Official Site | Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
07:02 AM on 03/22/06
PaperclipAnemia
Ho, Ho, Ho!
User Info.
wow. I completely disagree with this review. i thought alone, jealous and stoned is one of the better leadoff tracks 've ehard in a while. I think this cd is phenomenal.
07:06 AM on 03/22/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
I think the lack of staying power is really what kills this album. Otherwise it would be a high C to low B maybe. It's not horrible, but I can't say it's a favorite of mine.
08:25 AM on 03/22/06
PaperclipAnemia
Ho, Ho, Ho!
User Info.
Originally Posted by Tony Pascarella
I think the lack of staying power is really what kills this album. Otherwise it would be a high C to low B maybe. It's not horrible, but I can't say it's a favorite of mine.
fair enough
09:43 AM on 03/22/06
brandnewtbs23
I'd go gay for Ben Folds
User Info.
im seeing them with dashboard in about a month and i was a little disapointed to see thats who dashboard was playing with ...meh
09:46 AM on 03/22/06
brandnewtbs23
I'd go gay for Ben Folds
User Info.
Originally Posted by brandnewtbs23
im seeing them with dashboard in about a month and i was a little disapointed to see thats who dashboard was playing with ...meh
i made it unclear, i was upset that secret machines was playing
09:47 AM on 03/22/06
JunkBondTrader
Judas seems sincere...
User Info.
......wow i finally see a good album reviewed by this site and its like the one of the few albums to get a shit review. i will never give any credit to this site for their review section. its absolutely terrible. flawed as well. at least this band makes interesting music instead of all of the bands that get 80%+ reviews that all sound the same.

where did Ryan Mills go?
09:48 AM on 03/22/06
JunkBondTrader
Judas seems sincere...
User Info.
i made it unclear, i was upset that secret machines was playing
youre a fucking moron. have you listened to either of their cds..

all you have to lissten to is First Wave Intact for like 5 seconds to realize they blow dashboard out of the fuck water.
09:51 AM on 03/22/06
brandnewtbs23
I'd go gay for Ben Folds
User Info.
Originally Posted by JunkBondTrader
youre a fucking moron. have you listened to either of their cds..

all you have to lissten to is First Wave Intact for like 5 seconds to realize they blow dashboard out of the fuck water.
to each his own
10:03 AM on 03/22/06
JunkBondTrader
Judas seems sincere...
User Info.
to each his own
thats right
11:26 AM on 03/22/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
......wow i finally see a good album reviewed by this site and its like the one of the few albums to get a shit review. i will never give any credit to this site for their review section. its absolutely terrible. flawed as well. at least this band makes interesting music instead of all of the bands that get 80%+ reviews that all sound the same.

where did Ryan Mills go?
wow dude, settle down...you clammer for negative reviews and then a reviewer disagrees with your personal taste and you flip out. Think about that. A review is an opinion. If you already know and love the CD, then this has no bearing on you.
11:35 AM on 03/22/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Thanks, Scott. Guys, you can't have it both ways. You want more negative reviews, and so as a result, some reviewers are writing negative ones rather than passing on the review altogether. But that means we won't always see eye to eye. We put our opinions on a website--and you're welcome to disagree with what we write. If everyone liked and hated the same bands, we'd be boring fuckers. But you've got to understand that we don't have the same opinions; it doesn't mean that one person is smarter or better than another.
11:36 AM on 03/22/06
shagelific
nothing
User Info.
i thought you took it easy, this album is pretty horrible.
07:02 PM on 03/22/06
Shatter_Glass
Take Apart Your Head
User Info.
Damn kids and their no patience....spend some time with this album, spend some time....
09:46 AM on 03/25/06
Greg Dona
N/A
User Info.

where did Ryan Mills go?
Judging by your icon I'd say you probably like the Arctic Monkeys disc. And digging into the cavernous depths of my memory banks, I seem to recall having reviewed that very same record. Thus, I conclude that it hasn't been all that long since you've "[seen] a good album reviewed by this site." But seriously, thanks for your kind words anyways. In other news, if you enjoy the type of music Ryan Mills reviewed here, you might look to check out my upcoming review for Man Man.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests