AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Saves The Day - Sound The Alarm Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 9.38
Creativity 8.38
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Saves The Day - Sound The Alarm

Reviewed by: Gabe Gross (03/22/06)
Saves the Day - Sound The Alarm
Release Date: April 11, 2005
Record Label: Vagrant Records

After In Reverie found a comfortable shadow in the canyons of Saved The Day’s fan hearts, we were all wondering if this was the beginning of a downward slope for the Princeton, New Jersey wonder boys. Although, for first time fans, fair-weather fans and long-time fans, Sound The Alarm pays homage to their unordinary structure, sound and lyrics. Saves The Day—vocalist/guitarist Chris Conley, bassist Manny Carrero, Drummer Pete Parada and guitarist David Soloway—have undoubtedly formed a dedicated following on the overwhelmingly recognizable sound they’ve created over the past 10 years.

Sound The Alarm’s tracklisting is a monumental catalog that ultimately showcases why they are successful. “Head For the Hills” is a wonderful opener; classic STD introductory anthem that delivers the pre-In Reverie sound that hardcore fans grew up with. By far, the most well-flavored track is “Shattered.” Dripping wet with Conley singing in and out through desperation and morbidity (“I took a wrench to my chest, cracked all my ribs / let the blood run over my hands” and “Pull out my tongue, tie it around my neck / hang myself alone in the dark”). Carrero’s bass line is heavily drenched as it matches Conley’s patented obnoxious voice.

Then there is “Dying Day”which is la-dee-da, swing-yourself-about track, providing a safe single to release. “Delusional” is one of the key tracks on the album (thanks to the excitable, jaunty lick right before the chorus kicks in). By using undersized guitar solo, the listener’s attention must be precise and—what’s the opposite of ADD?—affixed. "Eulogy" begins lazily (as it should) then the percussions build into a memorable chorus--radio ready--served cold to help the swelling. Oh, and the lyrics? Think "Jukebox Breakdown" with more drive.

With 13 songs coming in at a little over 35 minutes, the numbers might have you asking where the rest of your money will be going to. Don't let that bother you because not many albums allow you to put a CD on repeat over and over again without getting tired of it. Plus, I guarantee you will find something beautiful musically and lyrically through each spin.

Is this Saves The Day’s best album? According to this fan, no. Stay What You Are still stands high on its pedestal. While Sound The Alarm doesn’t dip into anything new, it also doesn’t dip into anything new (yes, I said that right). It’s a double-edged sword when a band stays safely with what they know (but I’m also thankful for Sound The Alarm staying true to the sound, after the reponse with In Reverie—which is what makes it successful in the end). The album is topped off with reasonable production, levels are clear and instruments aren’t overpowering, nor are the vocals. Overall, fans will be pleased and the band should be even more pleased with a healthy, positive response.

Cause paranoia is the only friend I know…

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 71.
06:03 PM on 03/22/06
Grybo
True Punk Fan
User Info.
im so damn excited for this release.
06:06 PM on 03/22/06
homicide hearts
User Info.
i got it and i love it. chris is back and better than ever. cant wait to see them play these live!

SMILE FOR THE CAMERA SUCK IN THAT GUT!
06:06 PM on 03/22/06
make_this_hurt
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thank god this leaked. Cus I'm in love it.
06:09 PM on 03/22/06
Jentheoptimist
he's ready to f*ck
User Info.
Good review Gaby. Your style of writing is becoming more and more your own. What you told me you want to accomplish, you are not far from. I think that is exactly how I feel about the album to a T. Except you love to say Fairweather fan a lot and I would never say that. You get better everytime. I am/always will be your fan girl. OMGz! gABe. lolz. cREaMZzz
06:12 PM on 03/22/06
CrucifiedHeart
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
While I think sound the alarm showcases their versatile history i dont think that sound the alarm sounds like a greatest hits album. I personally definitely hear lots of new directions... Which has me pleasantly surprised, even though it shouldnt ....Saves has never released the same album twice.... unlike 43896784745067 of the more popular bands around right now. I'm not a fan of hearing new songs that could fit seamlessly into older albums.

I also think this is their darkest album which i'm beginning to believe is a concept album.
It kinda sucks that the songs are so short but it does keep up the urgent pace through out the album.

My favorites are diseased, dont know why, and delusional .... those songs fucking blew me away, and while I like the versatility of all the other songs... I love those cause (in my opinion) they are what Saves was always really so fuckign good at... writing memorable and simple but clever and not corny, very catchy melodies with a whole lot of passion.

But i do agree with gabe , SWYA is still my fav saves the day album. Growing up, anorexia, sex, love, death, and acceptance and whatever else.... Musically and lyrically, and (personal preference) vocally, that is my fav saves the day album.

And I cant wait to see what they do next, I just hope they dont wait another 3 years to release another album.. ugh
06:13 PM on 03/22/06
CROMagnon
Joe Cool
User Info.
this album is so gloriously beautiful, but i have to disagree and say there's more of an influence from swya than tbc
i also miss d'amico, but carrero does a great job, i'm in love with the bass line on say you'll never leave
06:14 PM on 03/22/06
make_this_hurt
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by CrucifiedHeart
While I think sound the alarm showcases their versatile history i dont think that sound the alarm sounds like a greatest hits album. I personally definitely hear lots of new directions... Which has me pleasantly surprised, even though it shouldnt ....Saves has never released the same album twice.... unlike 43896784745067 of the more popular bands around right now. I'm not a fan of hearing new songs that could fit seamlessly into older albums.

I also think this is their darkest album which i'm beginning to believe is a concept album.
It kinda sucks that the songs are so short but it does keep up the urgent pace through out the album.

My favorites are diseased, dont know why, and delusional .... those songs fucking blew me away, and while I like the versatility of all the other songs... I love those cause (in my opinion) they are what Saves was always really so fuckign good at... writing memorable and simple but clever and not corny, very catchy melodies with a whole lot of passion.

But i do agree with gabe , SWYA is still my fav saves the day album. Growing up, anorexia, sex, love, death, and acceptance and whatever else.... Musically and lyrically, and (personal preference) vocally, that is my fav saves the day album.

And I cant wait to see what they do next, I just hope they dont wait another 3 years to release another album.. ugh

Well put. That's exactly how I feel.
06:15 PM on 03/22/06
Save my day
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You better give TBS a lower score =)
06:19 PM on 03/22/06
born to expire
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't like this album at all.

Also, Can't Slow Down is their best record, hands down.
06:21 PM on 03/22/06
Jentheoptimist
he's ready to f*ck
User Info.
Originally Posted by Save my day
You better give TBS a lower score =)
It's official, I hate you.
06:22 PM on 03/22/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
I miss Eben still!
06:38 PM on 03/22/06
Jason Tate
User Info.
Originally Posted by born to expire
I don't like this album at all.

Also, Can't Slow Down is their best record, hands down.
Disagree.

Disagree.
06:40 PM on 03/22/06
born to expire
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by Jason Tate
Disagree.

Disagree.

It's ok, you're entitled to your own opinion. I think for the most part, STD's albums get worse as they are released. Ups and Downs rules, and Sound The Alarm is better than In Reverie, however.
06:44 PM on 03/22/06
SLADE775
Still the greatest
User Info.
Good review Gabe.

Though "Stay What You Are" cannot be topped in my opinion.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests