Chris Kalla - Lead Vocals+Guitar Chris Wah l- Lead Guitar +Vocals Jon Stoddard - Drums Kevin Williams - Bass Vincent Liou - Keyboard+Percussion
1. How did you get your band name? Chris Kalla: It basically came to singer Chris Kalla after rigorous attempts to find a name when Chris Wahl and Chris Kalla were forming the band
2. How did this band get started? All Members: Established in 2006, Crash Coordinates formed out of the ashes of the Arizona hardcore scene when long time friends Chris Kalla and Chris Wahl decided they wanted to create something original. While the scene around them remained stagnant, the duo quickly recruited bassist Kevin Williams, keyboard player Vincent Liou and drummer Jon Stoddard to round out their sonic assault.
3. What bands are you influenced by? Chris Kalla: Minus The Bear. Coheed, Metallica, Muse, Explosions in the Sky
Chris Wahl: All kinds of music! Coheed and Cambria, Taylor Swift, Blink 182, Daphne Loves Derby, Metallica, Protest The Hero, This Will Destroy You
Jon Stoddard: 311, RX Bandits, Tool, Coheed and Cambria, muse, and any other really good music.
Kevin Williams: Coheed and Cambria, Minus The Bear, Jimmy Eat World, Circa Survive, Underoath, Sigur Ros, Tool, The Killers, Radiohead, Muse...the list goes on and on...Really anything that is unique creative and often times 'out there'. Something that makes me thinks and allows me to pick apart.
Vincent Liou: Honestly there aren't any bands that directly influence my style of playing but I'd say bands like Minus the Bear are a big influence
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why? Chris Kalla: We would love to tour with Minus The Bear, we all grew up loving Blink 182 so that would be our dream tour lol
Chris Wahl: Minus The Bear - I think their crowds would really understand our music
Coheed and Cambria - Their live show is so bad ass, I would love to see it every night.
Jon Stoddard: past, the Beatles... who wouldnít want to play with the Beatles, I freaking love their music present, Minus the Bear because I think we would fit the bill with them really well circa survive, awesome band who wouldnít want to tour with them
Kevin Williams: As for present day bands, I would say Circa Survive and Coheed and Cambria, because their audiences would be more keen to our sound. Past bands I would have love to have toured with, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, for obvious reasons. I would have also loved to have toured with The Receiving End Of Sirens and Gatsby's American Dream.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal? Chris Kalla: I would be a bear because I would be strong and fast and feared by others
Chris Wahl : A lion. So I could have a mane!
Jon Stoddard: Panda Bear, because pandas are my favorite animals, they are not only cute, but they are also awesome.
Kevin Williams: I would be a bear...no one f**ks with bears.
6. Why should people listen to your band? Chris Kalla: People should listen to us because everybody in this band is very creative and when we combine our talents we are able to bring a new and innovative sound
Chris Wahl: If they want music that is accessible and catchy, yet progressive and new at the same time.
Jon Stoddard: because we write intelligent pop that is musically interesting and catchy and we work really hard to make sure we have a live show to die for.
Kevin Williams: I would say because itís a breath of fresh air. Itís creative but still accessible to a variety of listeners.
Vincent Liou: Because it'll make both you and I feel better
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? Chris Kalla: How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
We would put Beyond These Atlantic Tides, It would be pretty difficult because of the tapping and weird chord arrangements
Chris Wahl: The Torino Scale - You would have to have one of those new guitar hero controllers with the buttons on the top and the bottom of the neck since almost the whole song is 2 hand tapped.
Jon Stoddard: I would pick either Beyond these Atlantic tides, it basically our single, or Indigo Plateau. Beyond These Atlantic Tides would be kind of hard on expert I think, and Indigo would be really hard on expert.
Kevin Williams: Well because of Chris Wahl's manic dual hand-2 finger tapping most of our songs would be pretty difficult to transcribe to a guitar hero controller...however if they can transcribe Dragon Force...they can transcribe us too.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank? Chris Kalla: We would thank all of our family who supported us and our friends who believed in us and of course our manager Erik for pushing us to be great musicians!
Chris Wahl: The rest of the guys in the band and anyone who helped us to get to the point of winning one.
Jon Stoddard: my parents, friends and fans, Tim, Phil, and Josh they taught me a lot about music, Erik our manager, and the band for being such awesome people and great musicians.
Kevin Williams: Obviously the rest of the band, my parents, my G's back in the hood, Biggy, and Frank Sinatra
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be? Chris Kalla: I would make a more musician friendly environment where musicians that donít follow a certain recipe of style and image can make it because they are talented at writing good music!
Chris Wahl: That it wasn't a business of who you know, that the radio still played a wide variety of music.
Jon Stoddard: not having to work so hard to get noticed by them hahaha
Kevin Williams: Everything. But mainly the part on how record labels hardly sign talent...the music industry seems to be full of models that can hardly play their own music.
Vincent Liou: An entrance exam to be in a band
10. Memorable tour experience? Chris Kalla: When we drove up into the forest of Flagstaff on a Sunday and played for tones of awesome screaming fans
Chris Wahl: Lost the van keys. Thatís all I want to say.
Jon Stoddard: It was not tour, but when we shot our Beyond these Atlantic Tides music video. so many things went wrong with that shoot, locked out of apartments, lost keys, overheating vans, rain.... but we got it finished and the video looks pretty sweet!
Kevin Williams: I guitar teched for a friends band a few summers ago, we got in a scuffle in St. Louis, Missouri with another band (pay scale reasons). Basically they got mad because they pissed off the promoter who in turn gave us all the head count money. They had this dude who resembled a disgruntled drunk mall Santa Clause come at us, almost beat the crap out of one of the guitarists. The cops came and we booked it. Sadly our exit wasn't swift; being pulled over (we were all underage with a grip of beer that had been our payment from a previous show), nearly mugged, and leaving behind $500 worth of equipment. We can laugh about it now...but that was a terrible night. I won't ever forget it though.
11. What does AP.net mean to you? Chris Kalla: It provides me with info on the other bands that are popular today, it is a great source to expand my musical knowledge of what else is out there.
Chris Wahl: A place people can come to for news and discussion about their favorite artists in all genres.
Jon Stoddard: great music tool, I try to check AP.net every day to see whatís going on in the music world.
Kevin Williams: It is a reliable source for music news. It supplies a great network for finding new upcoming artists as well.
Vincent Liou: It means a resourceful site where people can go for the most up to date news on today's music! I love it!
12. What is your favorite song to play? Chris Kalla: My favorite song to play would be She Blinds Me Like Medusa
Chris Wahl: The more guitar solos the more fun it is :)
Jon Stoddard: It's hard to say, either Racing the Sun, or Indigo
Kevin Williams: I don't like playing covers, but as far as our set I love playing The Torino Scale. I am pretty all over the fret board and I love rocking out to it as well.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice? Chris Kalla: I really enjoy San Diego
Chris Wahl: A place that is totally relaxing that I don't have to do anything. I don't like to sight see when I vacation, just relax. Usually on a beach.
Jon Stoddard: Either Boston or San Diego, opposites sides of the country ironically.
Kevin Williams: Anywhere with good food, warm weather, and nothing to hear but waves crashing to the shore and I am down.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood? Chris Kalla: Blink 182 and Metallica
Chris Wahl: My dad would always play The Boys Are Back in Town and Mr. Jones and Me on road trips, so those two.
Jon Stoddard: My dad was way into the Beatles, so I listened to that for most of my early child hood, then blink 182 and screamo. then punk, now anything that I find musically stimulating, mostly indie bands and really good pop.
Kevin Williams: 90's pop Vincent Liou: Blink 182 and Primus
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why? Chris Kalla: I would be able to fly so that I could go any where I wanted anytime.
Chris Wahl: Teleportation would be awesome, as would flying. I think it would just be awesome to fly everywhere!
Jon Stoddard: invisibility, because everyone wants to fly
Kevin Williams: Defiantly Psychic powers, like lifting stuff with your mind...maybe making people's heads explode...that would be rad
Vincent Liou: To speed up or slow down time like Viewtiful Joe or regenerative powers like Deadpool.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"? Chris Kalla: I feel we are progressing but no we have not made it, I believe it is only the beginning!
Chris Wahl: When my band becomes my #1 source of income with some sort of job stability Iíll consider us having "made it"
Jon Stoddard: Not yet, but we are working really hard to Earn it
Kevin Williams: When I can pay my bills after playing a few shows, then and only then will I feel we have made it.
Vincent Liou: Our band hasn't made it until we get a positive review on AP.net. Haha, just kidding, no, we haven't made it yet.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you? Chris Kalla: I can listen to Jewel and other Celin Dion from time to time lol
Chris Wahl: I grew up playing Cello and Double Bass.
Jon Stoddard: When I was younger I did not even like music, I played baseball most my youth, not till high school did I really get into music.
Kevin Williams: I started out playing the trombone.
Vincent Liou: That I secretly admire each and everyone one of our fans.
18. What's your favorite holiday? Chris Kalla: Christmas
Chris Wahl: Christmas! I love the presentz
Jon Stoddard: Labor day, I really like a lot of other holidays to, but everyone loves Christmas and I always forget when Labor day is, so it's usually just a random free day off work for me, and I like surprises.
Kevin Williams: Christmas because I love giving and spending time with my family.
Vincent Liou: Halloween
19. What do you like to do in your spare time? Chris Kalla: Hang out with friends and of course play music
Chris Wahl: Myspace Marketing, write new music.
Jon Stoddard: Video Games, Drum, get coffee, and hang out with friends
Kevin Williams: Writing, talking to all of our friends on myspace, and chilling with the band.
Vincent Liou: Play video games and collect comic books.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have? Chris Kalla: I have many different voices I can impersonate
Chris Wahl: I don't have any that are hidden.
Jon Stoddard: I don't really have hidden talents, I am good at video games and drumming.... I'm a pretty good driver too! I not like ridiculous about being safe, but my passengers are always comfortable with my driving.... perfect balance. :D
Kevin Williams: I make one hell of a grilled cheese sandwich
Crash Coordinates is starting to go places with the new EP coming out soonish, and it's such a step up from the last album..These boys are extremely talented, and they are just great guys all around :) ilyguys!
wow you guys are really cool! i need to check you out and tellz all my friendz and my friends' friends and their friends aboutchu...and they mommas! not them daddies though cause they be gettin jealous of your awesomeness...
no seriously speaking though, i miss you guys.
you're rad and i love you.